Public folder not working

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have two accounts on my computer and I'd like to share some files between both accounts. Both accounts have admin control.

When I put a file (f.ex. a .doc file) in the Public folder, it doesn't show up when I log into the other account. I tried putting the file in the Drop Box, and I also just putting it in the Public folder (not Drop Box). And at no time does the file show up for the other account.

In the permissions for the Public folder (through Get Info), in Owner Access and Others Access both, I chose Read & Write for both, and I did that in both accounts.

Now, I know this shouldn't affect it, but anyhow just in case, under System Preferences-->Sharing--->Services I enabled the "Personal File Sharing" - but it makes no difference.

Repaired permissions, re-booted.

Still can't share files through Public folder.

I'm on 10.4.10 fully updated. Any ideas? TIA!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    You can use the shared folder in /Users. I know that the public folder is accessible to anyone over the network (it is the guest share) - I'm not sure that it's supposed to be accessible locally otherwise, you'd be able to put something in someone's account folder and make it look like it came from them. I would expect the drop box to work though as it makes sense that you may want to send a local user a file and not have anyone else see it. Changing permissions should of course get round the rules but the Finder isn't all that great at dealing with permissions.

Does it actually copy the file across (with a progress bar) and it just isn't showing up? If you copy a big file and do a get info in the other account, is it showing that the file is taking up space or is the folder always empty?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You can use the shared folder in /Users. I know that the public folder is accessible to anyone over the network (it is the guest share) - I'm not sure that it's supposed to be accessible locally otherwise, you'd be able to put something in someone's account folder and make it look like it came from them. I would expect the drop box to work though as it makes sense that you may want to send a local user a file and not have anyone else see it. Changing permissions should of course get round the rules but the Finder isn't all that great at dealing with permissions.

Does it actually copy the file across (with a progress bar) and it just isn't showing up? If you copy a big file and do a get info in the other account, is it showing that the file is taking up space or is the folder always empty?

Hmm. Maybe I don't understand how the Public folder is supposed to work... quite possible

Yes, if I go to the HDD and get all users, then I can click on any given user and see what's in their Public folder, but I can't see it from inside of a user's account on their own Private folder - seems kinda stupid. I mean, that's many steps and no actual transfer of any files - so if there are 50 users, I'd have to go through 50 Private folders to locate where the darn file is on one particular user's Public folder? I thought it was supposed to be available to ALL from any account, not just sitting in the Public folder of the one user who put it there. That's gotta be wrong - no?

Regarding the files - no, there's no progress bar, and the size of the other Public Folder is not affected (8K), it's empty. It doesn't seem like anything is getting transferred.