Here's a thought on purchasing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Lately I have been thinking about purchasing a new computer. In my thoughts I have remembered though just how many computers I have had, which is now around 20, http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...3&postcount=60 This has made me kinda take a step back though. I tend to think about kids now days around 14-16 and having their parents buy them a computer for the family and then they might get a laptop for college and then after college they might buy one more system. But systems of today last so much longer and these kids of today won't being going thru as many computer systems as some of us did. Those three computers described above will last that "kid" until he is 30 that's 15 years.

It's seems to me that in todays world, computers are lasting way longer than they used to. I wonder if buying a new Mac Pro 2.66 gHz Quad (dual-dual) will possibly be the last one besides a laptop (and another in case of breakage). I could just see it. One thing that pisses me off though is how browsers, the key element to a computer now days, has to keep getting updated because "somebody" wants a new feature in there web page and designs a whole new language or architecure. Which then entails the browser to be updated and then makes a user have to upgrade there OS, and then there Computer next. That's really starting to bug. Maybe things will level off in the HTML world and people will stop having to redo the browser all over and make everybody buy all new systems.

Don't get me wrong I like faster systems and I do other things with my computer. But I think about how much my two systems sit even more so over night. I get projects done. I don't really need that much more power for how much my machines are not continuosly cranking things out. With two system it's fine. But I just feel like I said before, Safari's going to get updated to like 3.5 and then it's going to require 10.5 and it's going to start the whole new system, install everything, break it in syndrome. I feel I get so much more done when my system hit's about it's sixth month of being installed and is just humming right along.

But the main thing I wanted to touch on was how kids today are just not going to dump $40,000 into Apple products before they hit 35, they just will have a System that runs and runs. It's a big difference in generations I think. More computer productivity...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'm assuming you have some interesting things to say up there, in that dense block of unbroken type. You might consider using paragraphs to encourage us to read it.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    ... and for god's sake, learn the difference between "there" and "their."

Your past experience with computers is not the norm; nor would I say that your expectations of the future are very accurate.

My current computer is the only computer I've owned. My family had three computers before I moved out: a 286, a 386, and a Pentium 75MHz. I "stole" the Pentium 75MHz when I moved out and upgraded the processor to a PII 266MHz. I now have an Inspiron 600m (and plan on keeping it another year or so). So there have been at most five computers in my life in the past 20 years.

As I become more surrounded by digital cameras, iPods, digital camcorders, etc, I realise that a computer will be an indispensable tool for the rest of my life. While I was able to function for six years on a PII chip (I only needed a word processor during school), that is untenable now and will be even more so in the future. I do not see myself going longer than three years between upgrades again (I am currently at three years and six months with my Dell -- it's a good computer, and still has some legs on it, but I'm looking forward to replacing it sometime next year).
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Well back in the day it was a big thing when you doubled your RAM, and doubled your hard drive. The processor speed increase wasn't that great but it was back then a little. But mainly when you could have 20 MB of ram instead of 4 MB it was a big deal. I remember paying $1,000 for a 4 GB scsi drive in like 1994.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

... and for god's sake, learn the difference between "there" and "their."

Your past experience with computers is not the norm; nor would I say that your expectations of the future are very accurate.

My current computer is the only computer I've every owned. My family had three computers before I moved out: a 286, a 386 and a Pentium 75GHz. I "stole" the Pentium 75GHz when I moved out and upgraded the processor to a PII 266GHz. I now have an Inspiron 600m (and plan on keeping it another year or so). So there have been at most five computers in my life in the past 20 years.

As I become more surrounded by digital cameras, iPods, digital camcorders, etc, I realise that a computer will be an indispensable tool for the rest of my life. While I was able to function just fine for six years on a PII chip (I only needed a word processor during school), that is untenable now and will be even more so in the future. I do not see myself going longer than three years between upgrades again (I am currently at three years and six months with my Dell -- it's a good computer, and still has some legs on it, but I'm looking forward to replacing it sometime next year).

Now, I'd have to agree about the OP's use of "there, their, and they're"... but if you're going to mention that, you might work on your own post just a little.

If I had a computer running at 266GHz, I'd surely never trade it in for a new mac running at a paltry 2.2 GHz.

... and for God's sake, learn the difference between MHz and GHz.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Once a computer can, in real time, produce a believable artificial world - all senses included - and feed it directly into the nerves, maybe then we can begin to talk of "enough power".

That said, until VR, total speech recognition or deep AIs go mass market, any recent computer is mostly powerful enough to work with the current medias. Miniaturization and power consumption for mobile use are big right now, and will also lead into performance improvements for when the mass market is going to need them. Compatibility, standards, and decentralization in the form of input/output/server division will be big both for mobile and residences. Gaming and advanced media editing tasks will continue to keep the development of powerful standalone machines alive during the lull the lack of advancement in CS is creating.

I'm in no big hurry to upgrade, but rarely do I jump over a whole processor generation, except with the PowerPC fiasco. I've had a computer for about 15 years and seven different ones so far.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Now, I'd have to agree about the OP's use of "there, their, and they're"... but if you're going to mention that, you might work on your own post just a little.

If I had a computer running at 266GHz, I'd surely never trade it in for a new mac running at a paltry 2.2 GHz.

... and for God's sake, learn the difference between MHz and GHz.

touche. It's hard to go back in time to the MHz days. I'm lucky I didn't try to quote the amount of RAM that any of those systems had.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

touche. It's hard to go back in time to the MHz days. I'm lucky I didn't try to quote the amount of RAM that any of those systems had.

2MB then, 2GB now. Simple.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

2MB then, 2GB now. Simple.

No, I was thinking about watching DOS counting up the 1024KB (so I guess 1MB) on the 286: 1024GB RAM!!!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    until moore's law runs out the idea of a computer lasting someone from 16 to 30 is laughable. So "back in the day" we doubled RAM and HD about as fast as we do today. Likewise processor speed increased at about the same rate.

Seriously, what trend could possibly make you think that? The 3 core XBox 360? The 7 core PS3? The now standard dual core PC? The soon to be standard quad core?

And the reason that the web isn't just HTML anymore is because HTML isn't well suited for interactive programs. Hence Ajax, Flash and Silverlight. None of which "makes you buy a new computer" or "a new OS". It makes you get new browser or plugin.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

until moore's law runs out the idea of a computer lasting someone from 16 to 30 is laughable. So "back in the day" we doubled RAM and HD about as fast as we do today. Likewise processor speed increased at about the same rate.

Seriously, what trend could possibly make you think that? The 3 core XBox 360? The 7 core PS3? The now standard dual core PC? The soon to be standard quad core?

And the reason that the web isn't just HTML anymore is because HTML isn't well suited for interactive programs. Hence Ajax, Flash and Silverlight. None of which "makes you buy a new computer" or "a new OS". It makes you get new browser or plugin.

Strange...

The 2 gHz Intel chip was released in like 2003, here it is 2007 and still offering 1.83 gHz. Moore's law is over, just have to say.

But I have had to buy from an 840av to a G3/300 for the browser, then from a G3/300 (10.2) to G4 (10.4) for the browser...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    this thread is 2 weeks old \
  • Reply 12 of 14
    gees, I know ok... Theres not much going on and I haven't been reading/posting lately.

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-978...g=2547-1_3-0-5
  • Reply 13 of 14
    You'd want the 32nm quad-core chips and 8GB of RAM. mmm
  • Reply 14 of 14
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

Strange...

The 2 gHz Intel chip was released in like 2003, here it is 2007 and still offering 1.83 gHz. Moore's law is over, just have to say.

But I have had to buy from an 840av to a G3/300 for the browser, then from a G3/300 (10.2) to G4 (10.4) for the browser...

moores law, really an observation, was only about the number of transistors on a chip, not the speed of them, its apparently going to hold up just fine for about the next 15 years, look over the tech sites on the net, he just gave a speech at the intel developer forum