Is the Apple TV dead?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Or will September 5 revive this cool little 'hobby' toy? I really hope so, I like it a lot, just needs some new Apple update love, specifically:

HD content from iTunes

Games (specifically texas hold'em)

Widget support (weather would be nice)

Anything else we are missing? Do you think this thing is EOL (end of life)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    There's no way Apple is going to discontinue a product so quickly, but if they want any chance of getting my money for one (and I suspect a lot of other people's money), they need a few things:

1. HD content, obviously. And Apple knows this. A product designed for HD TVs that doesn't deliver any actual HD content is, well, stupid.

2. More movies.

3. Movie rentals. Renting music makes no sense because of repeated listening. But renting movies makes all the sense in the world, from the perspective of people's viewing habits as well as the issue of hard drive space limitations.

The biggest problem I see Apple having is how do they sell both HD content for the Apple TV and content that will fit on an iPod? Making people buy one version for each (even if one of them was free with the other) seems like a very un-Apple solution to me. Maybe they could find a way of bundling the two together but make it look like you only have one version in your library, and iTunes would automatically know which version to use with which product.

They could set up the store so that there's one version listed "For iPod" and another "For Apple TV" that comes with the iPod version free. Of course, there's also the question of whether rented movies would be viewable on the iPod at all, though I suppose they could put some software in the iPod that would tell it when a file on it was no longer viewable.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

There's no way Apple is going to discontinue a product so quickly, but if they want any chance of getting my money for one (and I suspect a lot of other people's money), they need a few things:

1. HD content, obviously. And Apple knows this. A product designed for HD TVs that doesn't deliver any actual HD content is, well, stupid.

I actually watch quite a few HD podcasts on my Apple TV, along with non-HD podcasts, I've found video podcasts to be one of the best things for it out there. There are some very surprisingly high quality video available for free.

But yes, definitely needs HD content available to purchase/rent. Let's hope for some on the 5th!
  • Reply 3 of 37
    Is Apple TV dead? that begs the question was Apple TV really ever alive? It always seemed to be a niche product aimed at a really small neiche. How much YouTube does the average person want to watch on their TV? Why would I buy a TV show when I can set my Tivo/DVR to record it for free, in HD? I wouldn't I Netflix the "Weeds" and other premium content/Movies, almost as easy and the quality is better.

Now, if I could use that box to controll other pieces of my home stereo, or it had some of the little gimmicks TiVo is offering on it's DVRs, or even if it was a DVR with the added capabilty of pulling iTunes and YouTube content, so be it. But as is, what does it do that the average consumer wants to do?
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

Or will September 5 revive this cool little 'hobby' toy? I really hope so, I like it a lot, just needs some new Apple update love, specifically:

HD content from iTunes

Games (specifically texas hold'em)

Widget support (weather would be nice)

Anything else we are missing? Do you think this thing is EOL (end of life)?

I think AppleTV needs to become an actual TV with a harddrive, PVR, HD iTunes, widgets & games, DVD player and WI-FI all built into the screen. Like the iPod will be a stripped down iPhone, so should the AppleTV be a stripped down iMac - but bigger.

If your in the market for a new flat screen TV, then having one with all that in it would be hard to pass up. You'd have one remote, one power plug, could throw out your blockbuster card, get rid of your PVR & DVD player and even mount it on the wall if you want. Its software would also be updated regularly and improved if you have internet.

When it comes time in the near future and internet has enveloped TV (as stations like NBC realize Apple is the new Lord & Master of how things are done), those AppleTVs will eventually merge with the iMacs/minis and become the whole entertainment package as Apple launches the iHouse.

I want an AppleTV in our loungeroom with wi-fi sending our iTunes to our (yet to be invented) wireless iSpeakers that can positioned anywhere within the wi-fi range. They could also invent an iBaby monitor which would wirelessly send video & audio of your baby sleeping to your AppleTV, .mac, iPhone or computer.

So many i-things yet to come but i don't see how the AppleTV could stay useful for much longer. Once they are HD then that's pretty much their peak beyond hard drive increases.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzzhoven View Post

I think AppleTV needs to become an actual TV with a harddrive, PVR, HD iTunes, widgets & games, DVD player and WI-FI all built into the screen. Like the iPod will be a stripped down iPhone, so should the AppleTV be a stripped down iMac - but bigger.

If your in the market for a new flat screen TV, then having one with all that in it would be hard to pass up. You'd have one remote, one power plug, could throw out your blockbuster card, get rid of your PVR & DVD player and even mount it on the wall if you want. Its software would also be updated regularly and improved if you have internet.

When it comes time in the near future and internet has enveloped TV (as stations like NBC realize Apple is the new Lord & Master of how things are done), those AppleTVs will eventually merge with the iMacs/minis and become the whole entertainment package as Apple launches the iHouse.

I want an AppleTV in our loungeroom with wi-fi sending our iTunes to our (yet to be invented) wireless iSpeakers that can positioned anywhere within the wi-fi range. They could also invent an iBaby monitor which would wirelessly send video & audio of your baby sleeping to your AppleTV, .mac, iPhone or computer.

So many i-things yet to come but i don't see how the AppleTV could stay useful for much longer. Once they are HD then that's pretty much their peak beyond hard drive increases.

ROLO IS BACK!
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mowenbrown View Post

Is Apple TV dead? that begs the question was Apple TV really ever alive? It always seemed to be a niche product aimed at a really small neiche. How much YouTube does the average person want to watch on their TV? Why would I buy a TV show when I can set my Tivo/DVR to record it for free, in HD? I wouldn't I Netflix the "Weeds" and other premium content/Movies, almost as easy and the quality is better.

Now, if I could use that box to controll other pieces of my home stereo, or it had some of the little gimmicks TiVo is offering on it's DVRs, or even if it was a DVR with the added capabilty of pulling iTunes and YouTube content, so be it. But as is, what does it do that the average consumer wants to do?

Apple TV needs (HD) content to work. I don't think that it needs to be a DVR, but they need a rental distribution for video and a larger library at minimum. It would also help if they had more traditional content streams to access such as those that the networks are starting to work on for more of an on demand network TV. Then they need to find a sports and news streams to access. You add these up and the need for a DVR is diminished as well as cable, satellite, and traditional broadcasting.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

Arguing that the iTunes Store needs purchasable HD videos in order for the Apple TV's HD functionality to be useful is like arguing that iTunes had no actual use in versions 1-3, when no store existed, or that the iPod was completely pointless for one and a half years.

Hint: provide your own content. Rip it, record it, whatever.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

ROLO IS BACK!

Tell me about it!

Some other folks here are the same way. These guys want a amazing larger HDTV with all the stuff in one device. The ultimate AIO for the entertainment room!

Dreaming is good thing, I guess.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The ATV isn't dead ...it's $300 and that's beyond the casual purchase range for many people. I doubt Apple can reduce the price all that much considering the parts involved but what they must do is continue to improve the software and hardware. I doubt we see an update until next MWSF when the ATV software will likely move to a Leopard based core.

Eventually I expect to see Web features (using Rez independance for proper scaling on multiple TV) and the ability to access iTunes content and order directly.

I expect to see ways of linking multiple ATV in a network for transferring shows/content to other rooms in the house.

I'd love to start seeing some automated functionality and a proper remote (RF support and programmabilty)

I'd like to see support for 10Mbps 720p HD content. Eventually we'll have full 1080p support but that's going to require some horsepower.

I figure the ATV will look vastly better in a couple of years and it'll tranmogrify from Steve Jobs "Hobby" to a vital piece of the Apple Digital Lifestyle.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I would love to have an AppleTV with 1080p and 5.1 audio support. That would be nice. Also I look forward to iTunes to start offering higher res movies and tv shows.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Tell me about it!

Some other folks here are the same way. These guys want a amazing larger HDTV with all the stuff in one device. The ultimate AIO for the entertainment room!

Dreaming is good thing, I guess.

"The old dreams were good dreams. They didn't work out.. but I'm glad I had 'em."
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The ATV isn't dead ...it's $300 and that's beyond the casual purchase range for many people. I doubt Apple can reduce the price all that much considering the parts involved but what they must do is continue to improve the software and hardware. I doubt we see an update until next MWSF when the ATV software will likely move to a Leopard based core.

Eventually I expect to see Web features (using Rez independance for proper scaling on multiple TV) and the ability to access iTunes content and order directly.

I expect to see ways of linking multiple ATV in a network for transferring shows/content to other rooms in the house.

I'd love to start seeing some automated functionality and a proper remote (RF support and programmabilty)

I'd like to see support for 10Mbps 720p HD content. Eventually we'll have full 1080p support but that's going to require some horsepower.

I figure the ATV will look vastly better in a couple of years and it'll tranmogrify from Steve Jobs "Hobby" to a vital piece of the Apple Digital Lifestyle.

A. You're a millionaire advocating for average people.

B. The average idiot spends thousands of dollars per year on their personal addictions.

C. Over 90% of all consumers still don't have HD devices.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Since they are going to get rid of the Mini soon... the AppleTV should fill its place as a Media Center computer. It has always bothered me that they are so similar.... IMO they should fuse the two into one... the new AppleTV.

Hardware should be improved a bit to gain basic computing abilities. Add a combo drive to load software, rip/play CDs to iTunes and watch DVDs.

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.66 or 1.83 Ghz

1GB RAM / 80GB HD

Intel X3100 Display Adapter

Slot load Combo Drive

Audio I/O (Analog + Digital)

DVI Output + HDMI Out

2-4 USB, FireWire??, LAN, Airport, BT

Included Apple Remote but BYODKM

Mac OS X 10.5

1 Model - $499

What do you guys think?
  • Reply 14 of 37
    I never think Apple TV is a pride for Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Apple TV needs DVR.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Apple TV needs more media, not necessarily a DVR. They could do this by increasing their access to streamed content such as U-Tube as well as adding in a rental service. They could also open up the platform to allow other media distributors to make plug-ins that would give the viewer access to their streamed content.

The idea behind Apple's system is that the cataloged media is stored somewhere else, not on the AppleTV. This keeps the cost of the unit down and makes it more accessible to the average consumer. If you need a DVR there are other ways to get it at minimal cost. If you have a HD set with firewire ports then you can plug that into your Mac and record OTA signals. If you have a HD from a cable company, then you can request a set-top box with an functioning FW port and do the same thing, at least for some content. You still have to deal with the copy protection added to the new HD signals.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I think small, inexpensive add-ons would be a great feature for the Apple TV. Cheap HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players ala XBOX 360's add-on drive. Perhaps a DVR unit capture from your cable feed and reverse sync to iTunes. Leave the heavy lifting to the main CPU and keep these extra units as cheap as possible.

Not sure if this extendibility method is Apple's way, but would let you have your cake and eat it too without paying tons and cluttering up your space with individual units.

I think Apple DVR or Apple = TiVo partnerships will happen if HD video content on the iTunes store becomes an issue. I am happy buying tunes on the store but video I am far less eager about. I just want all my devices to sync with each other.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    i wouldnt say it was dead, im planning to get one soon, after the 32inch hdtv and ps3
  • Reply 19 of 37
    I hope not. I just purchased an AppleTV this past Friday night along with the Panasonic 42" 1080p plasma tv.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Arguing that the iTunes Store needs purchasable HD videos in order for the Apple TV's HD functionality to be useful is like arguing that iTunes had no actual use in versions 1-3, when no store existed, or that the iPod was completely pointless for one and a half years.

Hint: provide your own content. Rip it, record it, whatever.

The technical know-how and time required to rip a CDs contents to your computer is nothing compared to what it takes to rip (or download via Torrent) an HD quality TV program or movie, and then convert it to a file format that will be viewable on the Apple TV. There's just no comparison.

The Apple TV, I'm guessing, was not made to be a hobby horse for people who love downloading the latest video conversion tools. It's meant for consumers. And right now, there's no consumer-friendly way of viewing HD TV shows and movies on it.