Virtual PC

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've either been asleep at the switch or just oblivious to what's going on around me. I just heard that Virtual PC 2007 is now FREE. What's intriguing to me is that you can run MS-DOS on it. That would be a hoot. I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the GUI world. Anyone else miss DOS?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Anyone else miss DOS?

Hell no.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

I've either been asleep ... I just heard that Virtual PC 2007 is now FREE.

This is very old news. However, you seem to have also missed the fact that Virtual PC 2007 is the Windows version of VPC.

Quote:

What's intriguing to me is that you can run MS-DOS on it. ...

You can also run DOS under Parallels on Intel-based Macs.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the GUI world. Anyone else miss DOS?

Absolutely not, although I don't mind having a unix shell around. The Terminal is the best power-user feature of Mac OS X.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

This is very old news. However, you seem to have also missed the fact that Virtual PC 2007 is the Windows version of VPC.

You can also run DOS under Parallels on Intel-based Macs.

No, I didn't miss that it is the Windows version of VPC. After finding it, I read up on it. AND, I said I missed DOS - I didn't mean I'd go back to it.

I was just reminiscing. I used it back in the 'good ole' days, but I like GUI too much now to ever use DOS again.

It was flying by the seat of your pants whereas GUI is flying on instruments. All us (we) old timers like to brag that we were in on the early days.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

I've either been asleep at the switch or just oblivious to what's going on around me. I just heard that Virtual PC 2007 is now FREE. What's intriguing to me is that you can run MS-DOS on it. That would be a hoot. I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the GUI world. Anyone else miss DOS?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

What could you possible want with DOS?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

What could you possible want with DOS?

I didn't say I wanted DOS. Read the previous reply. However, I do regard it with some nostalgia. It was my introduction into the PC world. Like your first car (crate or not), you have some feeling for it. Or like a first girlfriend. If you have never experienced nostalgia, you wouldn't understand.