Flash suddenly quit working/no sound

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
A couple of days ago, my iMacG5 in my office was working fine. Yesterday, I went to musictheory.net to experiment with their interval trainer, and no sound would play. At first I thought it was just that site, so I went to the help section and downloaded the newer version of Flash they recommended. After that, not only did that site not produce any sound, but all other sites that rely on Flash for sound also quit playing sound (youtube, etc). Sites that use mp3 or Quicktime still play as usual.

This is maddening! Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Anybody? Everything works but online sites that require flashplayer for sound. I have tried reinstalling flashplayer 9 and shockwave, but still nothing. Arggh!
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Try uninstalling the Flash plugin using the official uninstaller from Adobe. Then reinstall the plugins.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

Try uninstalling the Flash plugin using the official uninstaller from Adobe. Then reinstall the plugins.

Just tried that, and no go. Thanks for trying, though!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Did you try using another browser? Try using something like Camino, Opera or Firefox if you're using Safari.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    The same issues occur on both Safari and Firefox. What's strange is that one day they were working, and the next day they quit. Here's what happened:

I went to musictheory.net to plan an online supplement assignment for my theory class (I teach music at UofL). The ear trainer on that site wouldn't play any sound. After following the links they provided to get the plugins to make the site work, all other sites that require flash quit working. FWIW, the site they directed me to was the official Adobe site. Strange enough, that site works fine on all my other iMacs.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    OK, go to Your Home Directory > Library > Preferences and delete the Macromedia folder. If that doesn't work, go into System Preferences > QuickTime > Advanced > MIME Settings > Miscellaneous and uncheck Flash media. Let me know how it goes.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    try doing a search here on AI and find one of the 8 other threads on the exact same topic.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=76605

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=76660

those two seem to have the most information.

and there was one started by sequitur that compiled most of the suggestions into one thread (somewhat pointlessly starting yet another that people wouldn't pay attention to) that I can't seem to find right now.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

OK, go to Your Home Directory > Library > Preferences and delete the Macromedia folder. If that doesn't work, go into System Preferences > QuickTime > Advanced > MIME Settings > Miscellaneous and uncheck Flash media. Let me know how it goes.

Tried both of these, and no luck. Strangely, though, there wasn't an option box for Flash media to uncheck. I wonder if there should have been?

Bob,

thanks for the links. I will print those threads out (since so much of the advice seems to lead me to places where browsers need to be closed) and try the possible solutions one by one.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I finally founf the "enable flash" part of the quicktime prefs menu, but it was already unchecked. I downloaded Opera as sequitur reprted that it worked, but no dice so far. I couldn't find the compiled thread mentioned earlier, but will keep trying. Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Apologies to the "do a search" crowd, but afetr having tried every remedy in the threads linked earlier and in this thread, I have to say that my impression of Macs as computers where things like this just don't happen is now gone. This issue is just as random and dumb as the kind of things that always used to happen on my old office PC. The only difference is that with the PC, we had tech support to help fix it. When this kind of crap happens on a Mac, all you end p with is a broken Mac.

I'm glad my home iMacs are still working in this regard, but I have to say that at this point, I don't trust ANY of them as much as I used to.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I'm sorry you feel that way, but the difficulties you're experiencing are quite uncommon. How many problems can you say you've had with your G5 since you've had it? Compare that with a PC. I'm sure there's a big difference.

Try this: http://fredericiana.com/2006/06/14/f...-sound-on-osx/

Report back with the results. This is very odd.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

I'm sorry you feel that way, but the difficulties you're experiencing are quite uncommon. How many problems can you say you've had with your G5 since you've had it? Compare that with a PC. I'm sure there's a big difference.

Try this: http://fredericiana.com/2006/06/14/f...-sound-on-osx/

Report back with the results. This is very odd.

You just fixed the problem. THANK YOU!

I think the program that swapped it over to the higher sample rate was Sibelius, but I'm not sure. Amazing how something that simple coudl screw up the whole machine like that.

Thanks again, Mr. teedoff, sir.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    No problemo. Another one of the universe's mysteries solved.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Same intel mac, same youtube-only audio problem.

But my MIDI built-in settings were already at the correct rate.

This is what fixed it for me:

open Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup.app

choose MIDI devices

click once to select IAC driver (mine was grayed out at first)

show info

check box for device is online

choose Audio devices

properties for built-in input

change volume slider on 1 and 2 to some volume

Not sure which one of these things fixed it, but yay!

HTH