NBC and Universal - Missed the boat

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Wow. The new iPod lineup is amazing! Especially iPod Touch. I didn't think they would come so close to the iPhone. And then the iPhone price cut!

NBC and Universal (read: Vivendi - you know, the publisher its own developers hate) look so unbelievable dumb right now. The shiny iPod boat just came in with loads of treasure - and the greedy pirates missed out. They could be rejoicing right now at the new iPod direction and the fact that the new video capabilites will lead more people to download more shows. Alas, they will be the ones missing out.

Apple is so far ahead of everybody else and the Starbucks agreement puts them in serious entrenchment as far as lifestyle consumerism goes.

Everyone wants the iPod simply because it is the best there is at what it does (what doesn't it do now?) and because it is so sleek and let's face it - it's cool.

I think this puts Vivendi in a tough spot.

They will try to force consumers back to the dark ages of package deals and subscriptions and everything else to get you away from your money, while everyone really just wants to pay a decent price for their content and play it on the coolest device around all the while having the process so simple a 5 year old could do it.

NBC and Universal look really dumb right about now. they have locked themselves out of the lucrative market that helped their business out to begin with.

here's hoping they realize that Amazon Ubox, Hulu and everything else is no itunes and that the Zen, Zune, and everything else is no iPod. Especially after today. Add that in with teh fact that Apple no longer has to pay royalties to Creative with the new interface and Apple is sitting pretty. I like knowing that Creative is no longer getting a cut from every iPod sold.

If they are smart, Vivendi will come crying back to Apple, apologizing for their greed and sell the content at the usual, consistent price.

Sure Vivendi provides the content, but people will jsut pirate it if it is too expensive or too difficult. History will repeat itself if these folks aren't careful.

As it is, if Vivendi still refuses to see the light, the moral folks will just go to the store and buy CDs and DVDs, rip them to iTunes and have it on their iPod anyway. It will only mean less sales for Vivendi.

The new iPod Touch is amazing. And cheap enough that it will be a mass market hit. Well, combine that with the iPhone, because the iPhone is so cheap right now that I would rather get that and have the best of both worlds.