My G5 is noisey

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a iMac G5 that I just bought for $250. It had the classic bad power supply. Had apple fix it and it runs like a champ. I love the machine, but its so noisy. I was wondering what I could do to keep the fan from running so fast. It only has 512 right now, if I upgraded it so it had 2 gigs would that require less fan usage? Ive placed it right next to the A/C vent and try to keep less then 4 programs running but its still really noisy, and my room mate cant sleep. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,343moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nascarnate326 View Post

I have a iMac G5 that I just bought for $250. It had the classic bad power supply. Had apple fix it and it runs like a champ. I love the machine, but its so noisy. I was wondering what I could do to keep the fan from running so fast. It only has 512 right now, if I upgraded it so it had 2 gigs would that require less fan usage? Ive placed it right next to the A/C vent and try to keep less then 4 programs running but its still really noisy, and my room mate cant sleep. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

The G5s were always hot but Ram could help - you should get it anyway. If you run out of Ram then the hard drive is spinning more and generating heat because of the drive paging. The drive does generate a fair amount of heat:

http://www.macintouch.com/readerrepo...topic2281.html

Does the fan spin fast all the time or does the speed vary? If it's all the time, if may be that the fan sensor is disconnected as this makes the fan run full constantly.