Apple releases iTunes 7.4.1, Pro Application Support 4.0.2

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Friday evening released iTunes 7.4.1 for both Mac and Windows PCs but made no mention of what the update addresses. Meanwhile, a Pro Application Support update targeting Final Cut Studio was also recently released.

iTunes 7.4.1 for Mac

Without providing details, Apple on Friday issued a maintenance update to its just-released iTunes 7.4 jukebox software labeled iTunes 7.4.1.

Presumably, the software addresses glitches discovered in the earlier release. It's available as a 38.3MB download for Macs and a 49.1MB download for Windows PCs.

Pro Application Support 4.0.2

On Thursday, Apple released Pro Application Support 4.0.2 [7.6MB], which addresses issues with keyboard interface reliability for Apple's professional applications and is recommended for all users of Final Cut Studio.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
  • Reply 2 of 23
    I'm afraid to udate it!... You don't suppose it "fixes" the ringtone feature so that we can't make free ringtones from our existing library...???
  • Reply 3 of 23
    ya, it "fixes" it alright

• Reply 4 of 23
    Really.... are we still using the term "jukebox"...

I'm not updating until I find out what's changed.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

ya, it "fixes" it alright

That's too bad. It seemed odd that this update came so quickly. Those Apple engineers must frequent all the Apple-mill forums.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Those Apple engineers must frequent all the Apple-mill forums.

I had the same thought! How many times have you heard Apple claiming they'd never heard of a problem which had lit up the Apple-related forums.

Yet they manage to release this update in two days to disable Cleverboy's method for producing free custom ringtones from within iTunes 7.4.

DON"T APPLY THIS UPDATE if the above is important to you!!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    It's always easy to find another hack once you find the first one. Cleverboy already has a work around for 741. Download the fix at MacRumors.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

It's always easy to find another hack once you find the first one. Cleverboy already has a work around for 741. Download the fix at MacRumors.

Can you help with a link? I couldn't find anything but the original m4r hack.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felix01 View Post

I had the same thought! How many times have you heard Apple claiming they'd never heard of a problem which had lit up the Apple-related forums.

Umm. Never?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Does iToner still work?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    So now, because of a few bucks worth of ringtones (assuming it does disable the software which breaks the license on iTunes songs), you will NEVER update iTunes again?

That's just plain silly!
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Hey guys, all is not lost!! Check this out. Read it, tried it and it still works.

LINK:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...04#post4152604
  • Reply 13 of 23
    check out page 12 or 13 on this blog for instructions on the 7.4.1. workaround.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...351495&page=10
  • Reply 14 of 23
    haha beat me by one minute tito
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

So now, because of a few bucks worth of ringtones (assuming it does disable the software which breaks the license on iTunes songs), you will NEVER update iTunes again?

That's just plain silly!

At one level, I agree. (Indeed, my own posture is, I am waiting to see what the "legit" offering is, before doing anything like this.)

But I also think the silliness is part of the fun of it all..... as is the challenge of doing a work-around, and I suppose the opportunity to thumb one's nose at authority.....

• Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

At one level, I agree. (Indeed, my own posture is, I am waiting to see what the "legit" offering is, before doing anything like this.)

But I also think the silliness is part of the fun of it all..... as is the challenge of doing a work-around, and I suppose the opportunity to thumb one's nose at authority.....

What people here really do have to understand, is that unlike some phone manufacturers, such as Motorola, they have signed contracts to sell content that has licensing agreements that they HAVE to abide by. If Apple's software allows even a third party to do something that works around those licensing agreements, Apple could be liable.

This is like Sony, in the VCR dispute. At the time, Sony had no contract, or licensing connections to the content providers. They now own some. The actions of the old Sony, therefore, were very different from what they are.

Apple is in a middle, yet difficult, position.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I like the new Playlist syncing features for iTunes 7.4. I didn't know about it until my girlfriend noticed it and was like, awesome, now the playlist sync selector isn't one large clusterf**k!

On the ringtone tip, I used to make ringtones for my old Moto v551 phone. I'd bluetooth the MP3 snippet over and then assign it on the phone. (I'd take a track I ripped from CD, edit it, and down convert it to MP3 for the phone.) Now I can do the same for my iPhone albeit with a bit of rigamarole. I don't do it very often so I don't mind paying an extra $1 here and there, however I do want to use my own CD rips rather than tracks I purchased on iTunes and/or use tracks that aren't on iTunes for use as ringtones, so I'm going to want custom ringtone action and I'm glad there's a way, even if it its roundabout. Apple better not completely lock it down... what if I want to use a custom Garage Band ringtone?!!
  • Reply 18 of 23
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

What people here really do have to understand, is that unlike some phone manufacturers, such as Motorola, they have signed contracts to sell content that has licensing agreements that they HAVE to abide by. If Apple's software allows even a third party to do something that works around those licensing agreements, Apple could be liable.

And that is why every iPhone user affected by this should write to and call their senators, congressmen, the Librarian of Congress, and the copyright office about this abomination to fair use....But hey, 99% of the people that bought iPhones are one of two types:

1: Apple fanboys who are ticked, but will just hack it

2: yuppies at Starbucks who pontificate wildly on issues like human rights, but couldn't name their congressman if asked, and could never be bothered to write, call or email.

To senators, EFF is just another lobbiest, but constituent letters could maybe enlighten them: remember, these old farts don't know iPhone from eye-glasses.

Want the problem fixed? hack it for a 2 day workaround or at least try to modify the rules of the game to FIX THE DAMN PROBLEM.

I am not an iPhone owner, so this is not my battle to fight...I just hope someone will.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

And that is why every iPhone user affected by this should write to and call their senators, congressmen, the Librarian of Congress, and the copyright office about this abomination to fair use....But hey, 99% of the people that bought iPhones are one of two types:

1: Apple fanboys who are ticked, but will just hack it

2: yuppies at Starbucks who pontificate wildly on issues like human rights, but couldn't name their congressman if asked, and could never be bothered to write, call or email.

To senators, EFF is just another lobbiest, but constituent letters could maybe enlighten them: remember, these old farts don't know iPhone from eye-glasses.

Want the problem fixed? hack it for a 2 day workaround or at least try to modify the rules of the game to FIX THE DAMN PROBLEM.

I am not an iPhone owner, so this is not my battle to fight...I just hope someone will.

That's the point. If people want this changed, then they have to convince their representatives. Violating contracts and license agreements won't solve the problem.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

That's the point. If people want this changed, then they have to convince their representatives. Violating contracts and license agreements won't solve the problem.

True sometimes.

However, the irony is, the entire iPod/iTunes/MP3/digital downloads etc. movement (whether in audio or, increasingly, video) is a testament to the power of contact and license agreement violations en masse!

The response of our reps. et. al was atavistic legislation such as the DMCA of 1998.