Purported T-Mobile ad claims 3G iPhone for Germany in November

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A print advertisement rumored to have leaked out of T-Mobile Germany suggests that Apple could launch a 3G-capable iPhone in the region on November 12th.

Originally published by MacBidouille, the ad (also below) promises a version of the Apple handset with support for 3G-level cellular Internet access using both the US-friendly HSDPA format and typically Europe-only UMTS, with theoretical download speeds reaching the format's full 3.6Mbps.

Aside from obvious references to 3G-capable speeds and a suspicious one-off mention of a "16GB iPod," the ad otherwise describes an iPhone akin to the U.S. model, complete with a 2-megapixel camera and Visual Voicemail capabilities.

Electronista, which transcribed much of the German-language text, notes that the supposed "3G iPhone" would sell for 499 Euros ($687) including a coupon for the iTunes Store, and would be available with phone plans that all offer unlimited data and vary only in terms of general calling minutes and SMS messages.

An "L" plan would offer 200 minutes and 100 messages for 50 Euros ($69) per month; "XL" and "XXL" plans would jump to 300 and 400 minutes respectively for 60 Euros ($83) and 70 Euros ($96) per month with 150 and 200 messages each.

T-Mobile has yet to officially confirm its selection as Germany's exclusive carrier for the Apple handset, but has already been caught preparing support materials for the product, in one case hosting images for the product on its own website. Similarly, resource files embedded in the U.S. version of the iPhone also list "T-Mobile" as one of the handset's international "default carriers."

Germany, by way of T-Mobile, is expected to be just one of three European countries to receive the Apple handset later this year. O2 of the UK and an Orange of France are expected to emerge as the other two exclusive providers in their regions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 108
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    While none of us can pretend that we know anything about these deals other than what we read, I somehow think that the purported troubles Apple is having signing foreign carriers is a lot of malarkey.

Why that would be so, I don't know.

Are they getting the fees that ATT is giving them? That would be interesting to know.
  • Reply 2 of 108
    I can't read German, but why does it say "Apple iPod 16GB" in the middle of this iPhone ad?
  • Reply 3 of 108
    Most definitely a fake. The German is in this ad is too clumsy. Can't imagine (though wish) that T-Mobile would offer plans like this. Way too cheap - no chance
  • Reply 4 of 108
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Those are horrible prices. 400 minutes - 200 text messages for 70 Euros? Europe is supposed to have better competition and prices than the US.
  • Reply 5 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Those are horrible prices. 400 minutes - 200 text messages for 70 Euros? Europe is supposed to have better competition and prices than the US.

Don't know about the rest of Europe. But in Germany T-Mobile is the most expensive carrier. For example: For 400 minutes and 200 text messages the charge 64 Euros a month - mobile phone not included in the 24-months-contract.
  • Reply 6 of 108
    Europe is not nearly as good as some of our European compatriots say it is.

Often data rates are far higher than here.

There was a story on CNN yesterday about how a family vacationing in Europe got billed for thousands for roaming data rates because the iPhone was background updating their mail app.

I can't seem to find it now. When my wife gets back maybe she can find it, unless someone here can.

Shows that once you leave the US, you MUST be careful.
  • Reply 7 of 108
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    it looks like Apple taken the entire US apple fan boys for granted, making it as testing ground and announcing a better product elsewhere ... hmmm
  • Reply 8 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

it looks like Apple taken the entire US apple fan boys for granted, making it as testing ground and announcing a better product elsewhere ... hmmm

Uh, no, I don't think you can make that case.

Europe is a totally different market than the U.S., where 3G is far more common-place. You can easily make an argument that 3G is not essential to the bulk of American buyers, whereas it is to European customers. In other words, a different product is necessary to compete in Europe. Also, if the iPhone launches in Europe in November, it will come about 5 months after the U.S. launch. That's clearly enough time to warrant a new product.

And once it launches in Europe, it will only be a matter of time before it shows up here as well...
  • Reply 9 of 108
    My wife couldn't find the CNN one, but sent me two others.

http://www.amny.com/news/local/newyo...rail_headlines

I think this is the same article though. But I'llpost it.

http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-b...ny_wire_xpromo
  • Reply 10 of 108
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Uh, no, I don't think you can make that case.

Europe is a totally different market than the U.S., where 3G is far more common-place. You can easily make an argument that 3G is not essential to the bulk of American buyers, whereas it is to European customers. In other words, a different product is necessary to compete in Europe. Also, if the iPhone launches in Europe in November, it will come about 5 months after the U.S. launch. That's clearly enough time to warrant a new product.

And once it launches in Europe, it will only be a matter of time before it shows up here as well...

hope 3G when introduced in europe introduced here as well, oh that 16GB model as well...
  • Reply 11 of 108
    Quote:

I was thinking the same thing...... esp. since a lot of folks from the EU posting on AI have been talking about how superior their tarrifs and plans are...... If this is true, the $60 ATT deal is beginning to look better and better.
  • Reply 12 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Often data rates are far higher than here.

There was a story on CNN yesterday about how a family vacationing in Europe got billed for thousands for roaming data rates because the iPhone was background updating their mail app.

I can't seem to find it now. .... Shows that once you leave the US, you MUST be careful.

Heh, heh, see this:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=77415

• Reply 13 of 108
    Quote:

No, actually those prices seem about right for a high-end handset in Europe - bearing in mind that in Europe you do not have to buy your phone upfront, you either pay a greatly reduced price or very often do not pay anything for your handset as the cost is subsidised by the network operator.

As i have said before on here i cannot see Apples US model working in Europe and am sure they will need to go down the subsidised route. The major problem is the fact that you cannot sell a handset that cannot be unlocked in Europe, the networks will need a way to force people to stick to a contract term - subsidising the handset is the only way to really do this.

These prices, if true may point to me being right!!
  • Reply 14 of 108
    I have also been quite adamant despite much criticism from the fanbois that the current iPhone would not do well in Europe, I was sure that Apple would have to release a new phone into Europe if they ever had a chance to break that market. But of course even without any experience at all many of the fanbois still tore me down, told me i was speaking shite etc..

Many peoples answers revolved around the fact that Steve Jobs was a genius and Europeans dont know what they want and that Apple would be changing the way that people in Europe use their phones etc.. No, it seems clear now that by releasing a new model for Europe Apple are indeed thinking about the way in which they use phones their and releasing a model to suit - well done Apple.

Of course the same fanbois will use this as further evidence of Steve Jobs genius and conveniently forget the crap they directed and others, including myself over the last couple of months.
  • Reply 15 of 108
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I have also been quite adamant despite much criticism from the fanbois that the current iPhone would not do well in Europe, I was sure that Apple would have to release a new phone into Europe if they ever had a chance to break that market.

This is still just a rumor at this point. The ad does look pretty sloppy. Maybe true and it may not be.
  • Reply 16 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

hope 3G when introduced in europe introduced here as well, oh that 16GB model as well...

It said "16GB iPod", not 16GB iPhone, if correct.

We do know about the 16GB iPod now. That possibly gives more credence to the article.

But what would T-Mobile be writing about an iPod (with WiFi!) for?

That's the interesting question here.
  • Reply 17 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Heh, heh, see this:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=77415

Now that I saw that, I have a vague memory of it.

How did you remember where to find it?
  • Reply 18 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It said "16GB iPod", not 16GB iPhone, if correct.

We do know about the 16GB iPod now. That possibly gives more credence to the article.

But what would T-Mobile be writing about an iPod (with WiFi!) for?

That's the interesting question here.

It is ironic but probably true that the presence of a sloppy mistake actually points to it being real as any self respected faker would not make such a stupid error. This is probably a first draft of a proposed ad style and the content should not be taken for granted, even the prices could well be have just pulled out of the air in order to finish the ad and may well mean nothing.
  • Reply 19 of 108
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Interesting that they mentioned a speed of 3.6Mbps. That's exactly half the speed of the dual mode modems made by InterDigital. AI has an article about that supposed deal with Apple. If Apple is licensing those modems, why would the max speed be stated as 3.6Mbps when InterDigital's operate at up to 7.2Mbps?
  • Reply 20 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

It is ironic but probably true that the presence of a sloppy mistake actually points to it being real as any self respected faker would not make such a stupid error. This is probably a first draft of a proposed ad style and the content should not be taken for granted, even the prices could well be have just pulled out of the air in order to finish the ad and may well mean nothing.

The problem is that you don't know that it IS a mistake. It's totally an assumption on your part.

So, all we can think is that maybe it's 50/50.

But the mention of a 16GB iPod, written BEFORE the announcement of Apple, must give one pause.