Help me promote

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey,

My dad is thinking of buying a lightweight laptop and he still has the thinking that a MacBookPro is one of the lightest notebook out there (considering the price), I know Sony Viao has much lighter but the screen size is too small. He is looking at the 15" MacBook Pro (thats the smallest display screen rite?), but he is not sure of buying it yet.

So any tips on how to promote the MacBookPro and why its better then other laptops. And what are the features to justify its weight. Please give me strong points by 20th Sept cause they is a offer where they dropped the MacBookPro price about RM1.7k and they are giving a free iPod Nano. I want a iPod Nano and with this discount, Its like a dream come true and since my dad is getting a new laptop, so why not?

Oh yeah, my dad does programming and autocad stuffs so he is likely to install windows XP on the MacBookPro, I told him for internet uses, he should use MacOS to prevent viruses. I need tips and fast!. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Hey,

My dad is thinking of buying a lightweight laptop and he still has the thinking that a MacBookPro is one of the lightest notebook out there (considering the price), I know Sony Viao has much lighter but the screen size is too small. He is looking at the 15" MacBook Pro (thats the smallest display screen rite?), but he is not sure of buying it yet.

So any tips on how to promote the MacBookPro and why its better then other laptops. And what are the features to justify its weight. Please give me strong points by 20th Sept cause they is a offer where they dropped the MacBookPro price about RM1.7k and they are giving a free iPod Nano. I want a iPod Nano and with this discount, Its like a dream come true and since my dad is getting a new laptop, so why not?

Oh yeah, my dad does programming and autocad stuffs so he is likely to install windows XP on the MacBookPro, I told him for internet uses, he should use MacOS to prevent viruses. I need tips and fast!. Thanks in advance.

Well, the iPod nano thing ends on the 16th, not the 20th. 15.4 is the smallest MBP

Backlit keyboard

LED backlit screen (really bright)

Sexy design

OS X

802.11n

1.3 megapixel Webcam

Apple Support

OS X

Really big trackpad

Gigabit

Magsafe

Accelerometer

Remote

Thin

Lightweight

nVidea 8600 GT

FW800

Dual-link DVI

DL DVD-R

6-Pin FW400 (normal, not that 4-pin crap)

Uber battery life

Aluminum case

Ambient Light Sensor

Free iPod (for you)

Did I mention OS X?

iLife

That's all I can think of at the moment, but there are probably a few more. Try that and come back if it's not enough.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Most of the laptops lighter than the MBP are lacking in one department or another. I'd argue that the MBP is the lightest full-featured "desktop replacement."
  • Reply 3 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Just tell him the MacBook Pro is safer from spyware and viruses, and the that OS X software is quite simply better than Windows.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    by RM I presume you are referring to Malaysia? Normal price is 7,499 for 2.2ghz and 9,299 for 2.4ghz MacbookPro 15".

Education price including 4gb iPod Nano (slim one, not phatboy):

RM 6,732 for 2.2ghz 15"

RM 8,530 for 2.4ghz 15"

You will need you Student ID. Above prices are for Apple Premium Reseller "Machines" ( www.machines.com.my ) ... Ends 30th September for Malaysia.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Hey,

1. You can have the super sexiest best ever design laptop in the world but you have to run Windows or Linux. Tell your dad he works hard enough to deserve not having to deal with endless ridiculous updates, annoying virus and spyware, and think about every time he turns on a Windows PC or laptop he's wasting 30% of his time and money. Because any PC running secure, advanced antivirus, etc... can chew at least a quarter of processing, RAM, hard disk etc. Not to mention Vista is a real memory hog, 1gb is not enough.

2. The MacBookPro is a very powerful machine. LED Backlight, 256mb of VRAM for the 2.4ghz, and up to 4gb of RAM, 2gb RAM standard. Weight? Justified, I would propose, by the fact that it is a full-featured, powerful desktop replacement.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Hmm, it seems nvidia2008 works in a Apple store I assume? Anyway is it possible if I were to pay abit extra to get the new Nano? So lets say its 6.7k for student price, what if I pay extra +200? and whats is accelerometer
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Hmm, it seems nvidia2008 works in a Apple store I assume? Anyway is it possible if I were to pay abit extra to get the new Nano? So lets say its 6.7k for student price, what if I pay extra +200? and whats is accelerometer

From what I understand of it, if you were to accidentally drop your MBP, the accelerometer locks the harddrive so it stops spinning and has a better chance of not breaking and should save all your data.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Heh. I don't think that upgrade to new Nano is possible.

I think if you are talking about accelerometer that can also be related to iPhone and iPod touch --> among other things, detects movement like when you turn the phone from potrait (tall) to widescreen (broad).
  • Reply 9 of 13
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

From what I understand of it, if you were to accidentally drop your MBP, the accelerometer locks the harddrive so it stops spinning and has a better chance of not breaking and should save all your data.

It would be interesting if they actually sync'ed the disk in mid flight to save any cached data. Do they do that?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    forget it, I went to the AppleStore again and I found out that our offer is not like the US's. Its not buy a mac get a free iPod, its buy a Mac + iPod and get a rebate which eventually only save u about >RM500. Thats so lame, and to make matter worse, that deal only apply if you buy the old iPodNano, and believe it or not, the old iPod nano pricing is still more expensive then the new fatboy Nano. How lame is that, I know they want to clear their stock, but thats a total rip off. I saw a person using fatboy nano and it looks uber cool and I hold it, i prefer fatboy then tall nano, fits better into my hand. Boo to the promotion!!!! A total knockoff, even a dimwit will know he has been cheated
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

forget it, I went to the AppleStore again and I found out that our offer is not like the US's. Its not buy a mac get a free iPod, its buy a Mac + iPod and get a rebate which eventually only save u about >RM500. Thats so lame, and to make matter worse, that deal only apply if you buy the old iPodNano, and believe it or not, the old iPod nano pricing is still more expensive then the new fatboy Nano. How lame is that, I know they want to clear their stock, but thats a total rip off. I saw a person using fatboy nano and it looks uber cool and I hold it, i prefer fatboy then tall nano, fits better into my hand. Boo to the promotion!!!! A total knockoff, even a dimwit will know he has been cheated

I am not sure why you are so angry, though I must say the Apple dealers in Malaysia, some are not quite up to standard. Machines however tries to stay on track, and these are the numbers which are quite different to what you mentioned:

1. This is for http://www.machines.com.my/ . I suggest you stick to Machines MidValley, Machines KLCC and a new Apple shop (another reseller) soon in Pavilion Bukit Bintang.

2. You will see that the previous iPod slim Nanos are RM 499, RM 529, RM 699 for 2GB, 4GB, 8GB.

3. Compare this to PhatBoy Nanos at RM 619, RM 829 for 4GB and 8GB. The pricing of the previous models is clearly less than the new ones. Particularly black slim Nano at RM 699 for 8GB now.

4. For students and teachers of several international schools in Klang Valley, these are the promotions below. Yes, it is only for selected schools at this stage, but I have to mention previously, the US, Australia, etc. Back To School promotions were not in Malaysia at all, at least, not in any convenient way. What school or university are you attending now? What city?

4a. In the US you get a mail-in rebate and it is *only for the previous 4GB iPod Nanos (see below off the US website).

4b. In Klang Valley, Malaysia you get a 4GB previous model iPod Nano (may be a certain color) plus the MacBook or MacBookPro all at once, I do not believe there is any mail-in rebate procedure because this is quite complicated to do in Malaysia.

4c. Promos are still as such until Sep30th:

MacBook 13 inch + 4GB iPod Nano (slim):

RM 4,199 4,999 5,699

now

RM 3,854 4,665, 5,362

savings

RM 345, 334, 337

MacBookPro 15 inch + 4GB iPod Nano (slim):

RM 7,499 9,299 10,499

now

RM 6,732 8,530 9,721

savings

RM 767 769 778

iMac (latest) + 4GB iPod Nano (slim):

20 inch 2.0, 20 inch 2.4, 24 inch 2.4

normally

RM 4,799 5,799 6,999

now

RM 4,643 5,317 6,515

savings

RM 156 482 484

5. I will proceed to send you a PM to ensure that you read this post. Please PM me your email if you like so that we can clarify.

6. Of course, please check all the numbers again before you purchase in case I made any mistakes in this post. I am not sure where you got your information from but it sounds off.

FOR US PROMOTION

*Buy a qualifying Mac and iPod from Apple or a participating Apple Authorized Campus Store from June 5, 2007, through September 16, 2007, and receive a mail-in rebate up to $149 (the list price of a 4GB iPod nano). Qualifying claims involving a 4GB iPod nano invoiced at $199 are eligible for a $199 mail-in rebate. iPod models introduced on Sept. 5, 2007, are not eligible. Terms and conditions apply. Click here for full details.

Of course, all these comments are my own and not of any specific company.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

FOR US PROMOTION

*Buy a qualifying Mac and iPod from Apple or a participating Apple Authorized Campus Store from June 5, 2007, through September 16, 2007, and receive a mail-in rebate up to $149 (the list price of a 4GB iPod nano). Qualifying claims involving a 4GB iPod nano invoiced at $199 are eligible for a $199 mail-in rebate. iPod models introduced on Sept. 5, 2007, are not eligible. Terms and conditions apply. Click here for full details.

Does anyone understand what this means? They will give you $149 for the price of the new nano, the one that is not eligible for this promo? Unless you get the old one (which is actually almost your only choice), in which case they will give you the full $199.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Does anyone understand what this means? They will give you $149 for the price of the new nano, the one that is not eligible for this promo? Unless you get the old one (which is actually almost your only choice), in which case they will give you the full $199.

Yeah, it is a bit confusing. ...But like I said, as per details above, it is much simpler for Malaysia right now. No waiting for mail-in rebates and stuff, AFAIK. Even when I was in the US I never understood the "your rebate is on the way please wait 4-8 weeks" kind of thing all companies seem to do.

BTW this is the UK BackToSchool offer: * "Buy one qualifying Mac product and one qualifying iPod product from an Apple Retail Store or a participating Apple Store for Education site between September 12th, 2007, and October 30th, 2007, inclusive and receive a postal rebate of £85 (UK) / €130 (Ireland), excluding taxes and levies. Terms and Conditions apply (UK / Ireland)."