HP 6980 InkJet Good or Bad?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My wife and I are looking at the HP 6980 InkJet printer which is currently on sale at Staples for $99. It has 802.11 g networking built-in as well as ethernet for wired access. Supposedly does auto-duplexing (couldn't confirm that) and isn't too ugly.

However, while checking it out on the web, I came across several Mac user comments that it didn't work with Macs. That seemed strange to me because I thought that HP printers all supported Macs.

Does anyone have experience with this printer? We want it for light duty stuff like printing letters, reports and the like. Nothing too taxing.

Thanks for all input.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    It works with my Mac. I have it set up to print wirelessly. Had to make a call to HP to get it configured correctly. Had a few problems but can't remember exactly what the snag was.

Anyway, it's an ok printer. Color accuracy is only fair. Seems to use up ink pretty quickly. But the wireless printing is great.

BTW that's a great price. I think I paid close to $200 for mine.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

It works with my Mac. I have it set up to print wirelessly. Had to make a call to HP to get it configured correctly. Had a few problems but can't remember exactly what the snag was.

Anyway, it's an ok printer. Color accuracy is only fair. Seems to use up ink pretty quickly. But the wireless printing is great.

Would you recommend it for the light duty I outlined above?

It was the built-in wireless that attracted me to the printer because that would leave the USB port on our Airport Extreme for a shared drive.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Would you recommend it for the light duty I outlined above?

It was the built-in wireless that attracted me to the printer because that would leave the USB port on our Airport Extreme for a shared drive.

Yes. It's fine for that. I like it pretty well. The last HP printer I had just seemed to print better color docs. It was cheaper too. Oh well, I needed the wireless as now my Mac and pc share the printer.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Yes. It's fine for that. I like it pretty well. The last HP printer I had just seemed to print better color docs. It was cheaper too. Oh well, I needed the wireless as now my Mac and pc share the printer.

Thanks for the feedback.

At $99 it seems to be a pretty good deal.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Well, I have the printer all hooked and working. It wasn't that bad as far as getting the wireless to work, just had to follow the instructions which had me use the ethernet connection to get to the printer's network configuration panel.

Only downside is that I have an Airport Extreme which is capable of using the 5 GHz range for faster transfers and less interference but the printer is strictly an 802.11 g device so it doesn't work with the 5 GHz radio.

Still, if you don't print often, it isn't that hard to switch back and forth between the two modes.

And, by the way, the printer is fast and impressive for $100 Deskjet.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Well, I have the printer all hooked and working. It wasn't that bad as far as getting the wireless to work, just had to follow the instructions which had me use the ethernet connection to get to the printer's network configuration panel.

Only downside is that I have an Airport Extreme which is capable of using the 5 GHz range for faster transfers and less interference but the printer is strictly an 802.11 g device so it doesn't work with the 5 GHz radio.

Still, if you don't print often, it isn't that hard to switch back and forth between the two modes.

And, by the way, the printer is fast and impressive for $100 Deskjet.

I'm glad it has worked out for you since I gave it the thumbs up. I like mine too. One problem or nuisance I've noticed is the ink cartridges are expensive. My daughter gets on the pc and prints a bunch of junk and I've been replacing the ink fairly often which has been painful to the wallet. Overall though I like it.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

I'm glad it has worked out for you since I gave it the thumbs up. I like mine too. One problem or nuisance I've noticed is the ink cartridges are expensive. My daughter gets on the pc and prints a bunch of junk and I've been replacing the ink fairly often which has been painful to the wallet. Overall though I like it.

I priced the ink cartridges before I bought it and realized that they were going to run $60 USD per refill (that's the best price I found for both cartridges combined). But at the same time these are standard HP cartridges now so it's not like another HP printer is going to be less expensive.

Maybe some day another company will decide to offer a printer and ink combination that isn't so expensive, but right now I don't see anyone doing that. They all charge an arm and a leg for their cartridges. And some are even implementing anti-replacement strategies that void your warranty if you use a replacement cartridge in your printer.

As for your daughter's printing habits, did you know that you can take out the color cartridge and the 6980 will print everything in B&W? It is cheaper to replace the black cartridge.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

As for your daughter's printing habits, did you know that you can take out the color cartridge and the 6980 will print everything in B&W? It is cheaper to replace the black cartridge.

She likes her Hello Kitty and Webkinz in color.\
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

She likes her Hello Kitty and Webkinz in color.\

LOL

I guess you better take out a second mortgage then.

\
  • Reply 10 of 10
    HP printers have horrible quality recently. I've had 2 $150 HP's in the past 2 years and they both broke within a month of the warranty running out. I'll never buy another one. The ink is a huge rip off as well.