Any reactions to the new ipod models?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
there must be plenty of ipod touch/classic etc. owners on here now, but i haven't seen any reaction threads. anyone care to share their opinions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    The new iPods are mildly disappointing. It is almost as if Apple felt they had to release updated models for the sake of doing so, rather than because they had something new to offer.

The iPod nano should be available with both 8 and 16 Gb flash drives

The iPod Classic needs 32 and 64 Gb flash drives

The iPod Touch is simply an iPhone without the phone

The problem for Apple is that larger capacity flash drives are still some 6 months away. I would have waited if I'd been them.

But I don't want to be too hard on Apple. It has released some great products this year and the best is yet to come. The iPhone is truly remarkable. The fact that Apple hit the ball out of the park with their first smart phone bodes well for future iterations. The rumour mill seems to think that a 16 Gb iPhone with 3G will arrive before Christmas. A more basic phone, the iPhone Nano is also rumored. All credit to Apple if true. A 16 or 32 Gb iPhone would be worth getting for its iPod features as much as its messaging capabilities.

But the real story of 2007 is OS X 10.5 Leopard. I believe this will be the catalyst that launches Apple into the stratosphere, because it has been specifically written for Intel-based machines it will enable Apple to target the corporate market more effectively, due to a better dual-boot operating system capacity. Given that the user-experience is nothing short of stunning, certainly from what I have seen, and success is virtually guaranteed. This whole idea of 'technology that just works' is very compelling, because with Apple it is increasingly true.

I also understand that the sub-notebook laptop is definitely in the pipeline and due to arrive either in November 2007 (with Leopard) or January 2008. A proper re-design of the 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pros is also in the works, to make them slimmer with new flat key boards. By January 2008, Apple's line-up will be immensely strong.

The only question mark is how Apple will eclipse its achievements of this year. My answer is flash-based solid-state memory. When laptops with 100+ Gb of flash memory become available, offering virtually instant-on lightning speed boot-ups, faster disk access and better battery life, we'll notice a quantum leap in general functionality. Bring it on!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

there must be plenty of ipod touch/classic etc. owners on here now, but i haven't seen any reaction threads. anyone care to share their opinions?

Touch aren't shipping until the end of the month, so don't expect too many threads on that until then.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I'll be getting one of the new nano's, I think they are great.

The touch, I really could care less. I hate touch screens, and if Apple goes all touch you can bet I'll be switching to another brand of MP3 player.

The Classic is sweet.

Shuffle meh.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

The new iPods are mildly disappointing. It is almost as if Apple felt they had to release updated models for the sake of doing so, rather than because they had something new to offer.

Yeah, Apple really needs to start changing the world with every product, geez they should be able to use flash drives that haven't even come out, and seriously iPod classic with 160GB? that's barely anything, I can only fit like 100 movies on it wtf?

take your pessimistic attitude somewhere else. apple did more than expected in my book, they can't revolutionize the technology industry with every update. if you don't like what they have to offer don't bitch unless they really released something below par.. which they didn't.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

64 Gb flash for the classic?!?! Are you insane! 32 would be a huge stretch, and Apple would be losing a bit of money on them, even with their massive discounts. 64 Gb flash runs for just over $1000 to companies like Dell, so it couldn't be less than $500 for Apple. 64 Gb flash maybe in an ultraportable next fall.

NAND is still expensive. The classic is for storage, not slim-ness.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    NAND is such an important technology that capacity will rise and prices fall with amazing speed. Apple pioneered mainstream flash last year with its 8 Gb iPod Nano, and since then this technology has snowballed.

I expect Apple to lead the pack as flash memory capacity grows. The whole point about my post above is that Apple is caught between a rock and a hard place: it needs to refresh its products at least annually, but often technology cycles are longer, say 18 months. It would have LOVED to have launched 16 Gb iPhones and iPods already, but the memory modeules just weren't available.

The good news about Apple's creativity and technical innovation is that it is increasingly becoming a first port of call for people with new ideas. That means success breeds success. Expect Apple to bring revolutionary products to market before anyone else does.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    PCMag's review of the iPod Touch is up, and they liked it well enough.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    The move by Apple to 'Lockout' the Video Out on the 'iPod Classic' is a really stupid move, as far as I am concerned. I went to my local Apple store, in Chandler AZ, the day the new ipods came out. Here is what I found:

1. NO MENTION AT ALL of the new 'touch' iPod'. My Apple store still had the old ipod 30 & 80GB models at the old prices, and this was at 5pm, not upon the opening of the store. They were selling the new iPod Nano like crazy.

2. When I heard about the new iPod Classic with 160GB of storage space, I decided to upgrade from my 5th gen. 60GB. But when I was at the store, taking a look at the iPod Classic, and also looking at the $99 portable player (can't remember who it is made by), I noticed the Video Out was unresponsive, and also, the portable player would not work at all with the iPod Classic. The salseman (much less knowledgeable than me, as he is an $8 an hour lackey, couldn't tell me why it wouldn't work). This move by Apple , combined with the other stupid move of refusing to allow the iPhone to use third party 'unauthorized' ringtones, is really getting me pissed at Apple. Why are they locking everything down? EVERY OTHER CELL PHONE IN THE WORLD besides the iPhone will allow MP3 ringtones, just upload them to the phone via bluetooth. That's what I do on my girlfriends V3i Razr, and that's what I do on my Mom's 8700C Blackberry, and also on my own Blackberry 8800. But a $400 phone by Apple refuses to 'allow' mp3 ringtones I upload? INSANE! I won't buy another Apple product till they change this....
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Apple was most likely forced by the MPAA to lock out video since it can output a 480P signal.