Apple offering 720p and 1080p movie trailers

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have just watched a trailer for Iron Man in 1080p format. I'm not sure if this has been raised yet, but I havn't noticed that option untill today. Is this an indication that HD movie content is coming to iTunes and AppleTV? It sure looks that way to me.

I'm drooling over the prospect of 1080p content on my AppleTV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Huh? I'm pretty certain 1080p movie previews have been available for at least one year for lots of movies.

Edit: I highly doubt the current apple tv hardware is even powerfull enough to play 1080p content.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Where have you been? 1080p trailers have been available for a long time now (well over a year).

The AppleTV can't do 1080p.

Sorry to burst your bubble
  • Reply 3 of 5
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

Huh? I'm pretty certain 1080p movie previews have been available for at least one year for lots of movies.

Edit: I highly doubt the current apple tv hardware is even powerfull enough to play 1080p content.

Thought there was a dedicated video decoding processor in there for that sort of thing? It doesn't seem to have any issues with 720p.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Thought there was a dedicated video decoding processor in there for that sort of thing? It doesn't seem to have any issues with 720p.

The AppleTV uses the video processing of its Nvidia GPU. The GPU doesn't do all of the decoding, it just helps out. With the AppleTV's 1 GHz CPU, it's unlikely it could decode 1080p H.264 without dropping frames.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

The AppleTV uses the video processing of its Nvidia GPU. The GPU doesn't do all of the decoding, it just helps out. With the AppleTV's 1 GHz CPU, it's unlikely it could decode 1080p H.264 without dropping frames.

Ahh. Shame. Thanks for the explanation.