Three dozen fixes planned for Mac OS X 10.4.11

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple this week provided its vast developer community with new pre-release builds of its upcoming Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update, expected to be the company's final revision to the Tiger operating system ahead of Leopard's October launch.

According to a person familiar with the matter, the new builds -- labeled Mac OS X 10.4.11 build 8S2151 (for Intel Macs) and Mac OS X 10.4.11 build 8S151 (for PowerPC Macs) -- address a handful known issues, in particular those relating to system hangs when unmounting NFS volumes and copying files over a network.

When combined with those from previous seeds, fixes from the latest builds bring the total number of code corrections in Mac OS X 10.4.11 to well over three dozen.

Among the other system components that have already seen improvements via previous builds are: WebCore, SearchKit, BlueTooth (enabling/disabling), Networking and Cisco VPN, Directory Services, CoreAudio and m4a files, File Manager and POSIX volumes, and CoreAudio and decoding iTunes Plus files.

Of the two separate distributions of Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update, only the Intel version is reportedly hampered by a known issues. A single FireWire bug exists in that version that could prevent drives from mounting, a person familiar with the software has said.

In Delta form, Mac OS X 10.4.11 currently weighs in as 65MB disc image for PowerPC Macs and a 119MB disc image for Intel Macs. The software is expected to see a release sometime this month or early next.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Wouldn't've 10.4.11 come between 10.4.1 (which equals 10.4.10) and 10.4.2? It just doesn't make sense...!

Yes, I am kidding.

-Clive
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Man, don't get that started again... LOL
  • Reply 3 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    That's groan making.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    According to a personal familiar with the matter, the new builds...

A single FireWire bug exists in that version that could prevent drives from mounting, a personal familiar with the software has said.

Should be a person, not personal in both of the above sentences.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

According to a personal familiar with the matter, the new builds...

A single FireWire bug exists in that version that could prevent drives from mounting, a personal familiar with the software has said.

Should be a person, not personal in both of the above sentences.

unless they ment personnel? as in employees. thats how I read it, despite in making me do a double take
  • Reply 6 of 21
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

unless they ment personnel? as in employees. thats how I read it, despite in making me do a double take

No. Personnel is plural - referring to more than one person. The usage was A.... A implies the singular in that usage so it should have been 'person'.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Anybody know if all these fixes will be applied to 10.5 as well, considering how close we are to release date?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Is there ANY way for mere mortals to get these seeds?

I'd love to be able to find bugs and provide Apple with input, but don't want to have to pay big bucks for the privilege.

Why should we have to pay in order to beta-test Apple's updates?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Please Apple, fix the outstanding USB Webcam has No Audio bug....
  • Reply 10 of 21
    I'm still using 10.4.8 for my Macbook.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    they should be putting more effort into getting 10.5 out.

i wonder if i'm the only one worried about the validity of 10.5's October release date?
  • Reply 12 of 21
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

i wonder if i'm the only one worried about the validity of 10.5's October release date?

A. This is important to me for keeping my computer stable and free of junk. Also, there is nothing that mandates that this must take away labor from new software.

B. Apple can't afford to renege on it's promises of an october release. Plus, they said that the problem with the June release was iPhone software development, which, presumably has cooled now.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

I'd love to be able to find bugs and provide Apple with input, but don't want to have to pay big bucks for the privilege.

Imagine Apple would welcome your very talented insights....................
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rebel_without_a_pc View Post

I'm still using 10.4.8 for my Macbook.

The airport bug in 10.4.10 and up is brutal isn't it (I assume thats why you are on .8)?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Vast developer community? VAST DEVELOPER COMMUNITY? What I'm missing in this piece is the use - at least ten times - of the phrase 'NEXT GENERATION OPERATING SYSTEM'. Why don't you leave the propaganda to Lynn Fox and just REPORT THE NEWS?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

The latest build of Leopard is fairly stable. I don't see any reason why they would miss their October release date.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairly View Post

Vast developer community? VAST DEVELOPER COMMUNITY? What I'm missing in this piece is the use - at least ten times - of the phrase 'NEXT GENERATION OPERATING SYSTEM'. Why don't you leave the propaganda to Lynn Fox and just REPORT THE NEWS?

While I think AI writers are far too prone to using unnecessary superlatives, your example included, I think you're making too big of a deal about this on this story. If you're going to complain about it, complain about it in the stories where it's abused multiple times.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

I think basic ADC membership is free. I haven't checked to see if that gets us any beta testing privileges or not.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

The airport bug in 10.4.10 and up is brutal isn't it (I assume thats why you are on .8)?

Thanks for the heads up on Airport..... I have a MacBook Pro which seems to be running great on 10.4.10 using Airport via a Airport Extreme. Measure downloads 10kbps+ and uploads 1.8kbps+.

Jim
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimoase View Post

Thanks for the heads up on Airport..... I have a MacBook Pro which seems to be running great on 10.4.10 using Airport via a Airport Extreme. Measure downloads 10kbps+ and uploads 1.8kbps+.

Jim

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Hmm, I'm running 10.4.10 on a MacBook and using its Airport with an Airport Extreme and I'm not having any problems that I know of....

What are you referring to?