Is the new 20" iMac's screen good enough?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Following the thread below:

http://blogs.business2.com/apple/200...r-apple-u.html

I was wondering if any 20" iMac owner (or at least someone that is familiar with the model) can tell me if the model's screen is good enough... I really don't want to buy a mediocre screen for that kind of money...

Should I just upgrade to the 24" model?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    The Apple thread linked in that link suggests that new batches of the 20" iMac do not have the gradient problem, and that it may have simply been plaguing a particular batch of early iMacs. On the other hand, the 24" screen uses a better display technology overall, so if this is important to you, it might make sense to go for the bigger model. Or maybe check them out in person and see what you think.

If you think you might be bothered by a very slight inconsistency across the screen, then you probably should get the 24".
  • Reply 2 of 14
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    "Good enough" is highly subjective - it's always best to judge for yourself if the quality of the screen is a big issue for you. I would suggest a quick trip to your local Apple store.

For what it's worth, I don't have any problems with the screen on my 20" iMac, and I bought one the day it was available. You can see some photos I took showing the screen. Personally, I don't see any gradients, discolourations, or other problems.

Again, that's just my opinion, YMMV.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I have a new 20: iMac, dubbed the "Raccoon" because of the black bezel, and the screen is gorgeous!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

"Good enough" is highly subjective - it's always best to judge for yourself if the quality of the screen is a big issue for you. I would suggest a quick trip to your local Apple store.

For what it's worth, I don't have any problems with the screen on my 20" iMac, and I bought one the day it was available. You can see some photos I took showing the screen. Personally, I don't see any gradients, discolourations, or other problems.

Man you got my dream team there. A MBP and a new iMac. I've got a MBP but need the new iMac.

That's a sweet set up.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

I'm not some graphics-proffesional, I just don't want to be noticing any coloring defects on my new, expensive screen....
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Man you got my dream team there. A MBP and a new iMac. I've got a MBP but need the new iMac.

That's a sweet set up.

Thanks

But that's not a MacBook Pro... It's just a plain ol' PowerBook G4 I'm afraid

Still, it gets the job done.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand View Post

I'm not some graphics-proffesional, I just don't want to be noticing any coloring defects on my new, expensive screen....

Like Duddits suggested, go check 'em out for yourself. You can compare the 20" and the 24" side-by-side at any Apple Store. If the 20" looks cool to you then go for it
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Like Duddits suggested, go check 'em out for yourself. You can compare the 20" and the 24" side-by-side at any Apple Store. If the 20" looks cool to you then go for it

They're not on display in Israel yet...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Hardmac.com has the answer.

They write: started looking on the web, and with our friend Kiryu, we found the reference of the LCD panel being used in the new iMac 20" Alu from Kodawarisan. It is a TN panel, encoding colors in 18-bits (6-bits per RGB layer), instead of 24-bits for the previous 20" iMac, or the new 24" iMac Alu (IPS or MVA panel).

Of course, I can not make any use of this new iMac 20" Alu for my photo business, so I will try to negotiate with Apple to get It exchanged with either the previous iMac 20" or the new iMac 24" Alu. I screwed myself as I could not imagine Apple could have changed so dramatically the quality of the LCD panel used in iMacs.

Of course, if you purchase today the new iMac 20" for 1199? (all taxes included), it will be a perfect companion for most users. However, if you plan to use it as a photo editing/reviewing platform, or more generally if you need support for 24-bits color and a wider view angle, then go for the new 24" iMac Alu, or the previous 20"/24" iMacs.

One can indeed regret that Apple is not providing enough details regarding components being used in hardware models (LCD panel, true CPU/GPU specifications, etc.)
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lazy D View Post

Hardmac.com has the answer.

Could you provide a link please?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Could you provide a link please?

Try this one.

I have seen two of the new 20 inch iMacs now, and in both cases I was rather disappointed with the LCDs, especially for darker colors. In combination with the glare from the glass plate, the display quality of these iMacs is in my opinion well below comparable monitors or the old 20" iMac. I hope the 24" looks better, but I will definitely decide whether to buy one only after I've seen it.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    These posts are very annoying... I'm paying so much money for such an expensive machine (one that I cannot easily switch the monitor and most other components in the future) and the monitor that is included in the deal is sub-standard??
  • Reply 13 of 14
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

These posts are very annoying... I'm paying so much money for such an expensive machine (one that I cannot easily switch the monitor and most other components in the future) and the monitor that is included in the deal is sub-standard??

Due to there being tradeoffs between things like color accuracy and response time, I believe the panel is different, not substandard.

I agree with Lazy D that Apple should make full specifications easily available for those that want them. On the other hand, the customer should have responsibility to read those specs or stfu when they get something different than what they wanted. No product can be everything for everyone. For my personal computer use, lirand's complaints (apart from the screen) are relevant and that's why I don't intend to buy an iMac.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

I'm not sure what kind of computer you would be coming from to compare the 20 inch screen against. Suffice it to say that the screen is very bright and very acceptable for non-graphic work and well as most graphic work in my opinion. The viewing angle was a bit of a bummer I must admit. Other than that I love my 20 iMac. I would not go to the 24" soley based on the screen.