Is there any use to the green menu button?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey there,

I'm switching to the Mac soon and i've heard lots of talking about the green menu button and how useless it is... I am interested to know - do you use this button? Does it ever do what is supposed to do? (I understand it is supposed to enlarge the window to the minimal size that fits its contents).

Any reply would be highly appreciated

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    Yes and yes. I frequently use it when viewing PDF files in Preview. If the text is too small I will zoom in until the text is readable and then click the green button to get the window size adjusted to the larger contents. On the other hand, when forced to use a Windows computer I never use the useless maximize button.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    The 'Zoom' button is pretty inconsistent. For example in iTunes it shrinks the window to just a few audio controls. Elsewhere it moves between different 'optimum' window sizes. Personally I'd prefer a more consistent action or a maximize button.

However with Expose (default is a squeeze of the mouse) actually resizing windows is not something I do all that often. I keep them all big and use Expose to drag and drop files between the windows.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand View Post

Hey there,

I'm switching to the Mac soon and i've heard lots of talking about the green menu button and how useless it is... I am interested to know - do you use this button? Does it ever do what is supposed to do? (I understand it is supposed to enlarge the window to the minimal size that fits its contents).

Green menu button? I've been using OS X for at least 2 years and I don't know what you're talking about nor have I ever seen a green menu button. Where is it?
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Green menu button? I've been using OS X for at least 2 years and I don't know what you're talking about nor have I ever seen a green menu button. Where is it?

He's talking about the maximize button at the top left of every window. The third button of the three (red, yellow, green) on the right.

I find its operation to be very inconsistent, sometimes it seems to work as expected other times not. Why can't it just make the window it is attached to maximize to fill the screen?

I guess the idea is that it is supposed to increase the window size to accomodate the content in that window, the problem is that it very often doesn't do this correctly.

Overall it is a confusing aspect of the OS for me, perhaps one of the only things about it that I find does not "just work".
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

It's the little plus next to the red 'X' (close) and yellow '-' (minimize to dock). You have seen it, but just never really noticed it, used it, or cared about it most likely.

I use it for when I'm doing something like surfing the web and chatting so that I can see both at the same time and don't have to switch windows to see what a person says. And then when I want to see a 'regular sized' web layout, I can view it until I want to switch back to my customized size.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    I was a switcher from windows a couple of years ago.

the green "maximize" button was a bit confusing to me as I was used to the Windows version.

However, after I got used to it, I realized it was a lot smarter. It will expand to fit the size of the content in an application window. this keeps things neat and tidy when you want, as opposed to the windows way which just fills up the whole screen with empty space.

Now, I use this button all the time. From viewing files in Preview (graphics mostly) and PDF files, it is great to zoom in or out and click the button and the window smartly resizes itself to fit the content. This is very helpful when you have multiple windows open and you want to see as much at once as possible.

If you are used to Mac OS, it makes total sense. If you are used to windows, you may have to rethink.

I must confess, this is the first time I have heard it referred to as the green menu button, but i guess that makes sense in that it is green. But I don't think it is truly a menu button. It is a feature widget (although, yeah, the term widget is just plain weird ).
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

However, after I got used to it, I realized it was a lot smarter. It will expand to fit the size of the content in an application window. this keeps things neat and tidy when you want, as opposed to the windows way which just fills up the whole screen with empty space.

Now, I use this button all the time.

That's interesting... many people claim it just doesn't work. I still wonder how well it works...
  • Reply 8 of 40
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

That's not a menu button because it isn't in a menu. The menu bar is found at the top of the screen. That green button is actually contained by each window's "title bar".

Edit: I agree that the functionality is unpredictable and is thus useless to many people.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by docprego View Post

He's talking about the maximize button at the top left of every window. The third button of the three (red, yellow, green) on the right.

Ok. got it. I was looking in the menu area for it.

Thanks,
  • Reply 10 of 40
    i use the green button all the time, mostly for web browsing. the Safari window will snap to the exact width of the site page dimension.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghiangelo View Post

i use the green button all the time, mostly for web browsing. the Safari window will snap to the exact width of the site page dimension.

...and that's what it's supposed to do. I use the + button all the time. All it is intended to do is make the window the size it is supposed to be. I do not want a button that make a window the whole screen unless it's C4D, or other graphic Design apps, which most do by default anyway.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

I use the + button all the time. All it is intended to do is make the window the size it is supposed to be. I do not want a button that make a window the whole screen unless it's C4D, or other graphic Design apps, which most do by default anyway.

I know that. I meant to ask if that button works well. Many say that it does not.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:

I know that. I meant to ask if that button works well. Many say that it does not.

I never had any problems with it, it works for me
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:

That is strange. I have never heard a single complaint about the button. Who are these many?

It always works. Your just need to know what it does in order to understand when to use it.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

It always works. Your just need to know what it does in order to understand when to use it.

Well, I'd disagree with that. Although the button might always work (i.e. give the program a signal that it needs to change size), many programs either don't respond properly or don't respond at all. My Camino for example shows no response at all on pressing the button. Firefox and Safari do respond, but with a very different resize (on the same webpage). The iTunes has a completely different response: it switches to min player.

Not intuitive at all IMHO, which makes me understand why many people just give up on the funny green button...
  • Reply 16 of 40
    It works well for some programs and sometimes not at all for others.

Which mac are you going for? I'm sure it would work better for a Mac with a bigger screen (in managing real screen estate and such), but on my 13" Macbook, the button is redundant seeing as I'll just make the application as big as possible and use expose for drag and drop.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Hey there,

You wont get the response you're looking for here, but you'll find when you switch you wont use it much. I personally think it's useless, although I do expect people here to tell me the so many ways I'm wrong. It's pretty crappy to say the least.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    The green button switches between System Setting and User Setting for a window. It has always been this way on the Mac.

System Setting expands to show the content, with certain restrictions set by each programmer. For example, shrink your Safari window to a 4 inch wide by 2 inch high rectangle in the upper left corner. This is "User Setting." Then hit the green button and the window will expand downward to fill the vertical dimension, and expand horizontally so that there is no horizontal scroll bar. This is the System Setting - the minimum size that shows all the content without having to scroll. Then hit the green button again and the window will return to your manually-set User Setting.

iTunes is a special case that nobody understands.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

The iTunes has a completely different response: it switches to min player.

Not intuitive at all IMHO, which makes me understand why many people just give up on the funny green button...

Yeah...it doesn't help that the Finder and iTunes development team are composed of retarded horsemonkeys.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    I don't like the way the "green button" behaves either... I'd prefer a maximize functionality.

There is free app (don't remember the name) that changes it so that the button behaves like a maximize... but in my experience, it left a 1 or 2 pixel wide column on the left side of the screen (on a MacBook) which was plain st*p*d... so I got rid of it.

I wish 10.5 would include an option to change the behavior of that button... MacOS Classic or Maximize.