Defective Mighty Mouse?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I was finally shipped my new iMac 20inch today and was happy as anyone while setting it up. However, when I got started I noticed the mouse repeatedly making a creaking noise when my hand was on it, when I was moving it around, and most importantly when I was clicking. To sum it up, my day old mighty mouse is making creaking noises at all times and I think it is defective and is poor quality. Anyone else having a similar problem? Anyone know if it will be easy to exchange it for a different one?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacfanatic View Post

To sum it up, my day old mighty mouse is making creaking noises at all times and I think it is defective and is poor quality. Anyone else having a similar problem?

I think everyone who owns a Mighty Mouse has some sort of trouble with it. The most common issue I come across is that they stop being able to scroll down. They really are terrible mice and Apple need to wake up and get rid of the stupid things. I don't see how it would be so hard for them to strike up a deal with Logitech or something.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacfanatic View Post

Anyone know if it will be easy to exchange it for a different one?

If you aren't satisfied, they might consider giving you a replacement. I suspect they will just say that it's new and it needs to be worn in. Given that you can get a much better mouse for $20 or so, I'd just go out and get another one and leave the Mighty Mouse as a backup mouse.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    thanks for the reply. I would have never guessed that mighty mouses were such poor quality. Good thing I always have the logitech mouse that I used with my old Dell.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I love the Mighty Mouse - have 2 of them. I love the scroll nub, it's great. That said, yes, the reliability is very poor - it pretty much stops scrolling within a few months. If the can fix that - plus maybe a bit better placement for the side buttons, it would be an outstanding mouse. I'm not surprised it creaks - bring it to an Apple store with a receipt and get a new one.