Briefly: iMac update, Brooklyn flagship, Touch in factory mode

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has released a small "bug fix" software update for its latest iMac line. Meanwhile, the company is reported to be scouring the New York City borough of Brooklyn for flagship-worthy retail space. And one customer unboxed his new iPod touch to find the player running in factory test mode (images).

iMac Software Update 1.1

iMac Software Update 1.1 [5.1MB] provides important bug fixes and is recommended for 20-inch and 24-inch iMac models with 2.0, 2.4, or 2.8GHz processors.

Apple seeks Brooklyn flagship

Meanwhile, Racked reports that Apple is scouring Brooklyn for retail space somewhere in the 718 area code, where the company hopes to build a high-pofile retail shop.

"While Apple's urge to hawk iPhones to Brooklynites is all but a certainty, what's not known at this time is which neighborhood the computer maker is targeting for its first Brooklyn foray," according to the report.

Racked goes on to speculates on which neighborhood might eventually be selected: Red Hook, Smith Street, Dumbo, Downtown or Williamsburg, with the latter likely representing the ideal location.

iPod touch ships in factory mode

A Gizmodo reader recently purchased one of Apple's new iPod touch players only to open it up and find the unit running quite hot in "factory test mode."

The screen was displaying a hardware subsystems check, showing an "X" over the option for Bluetooth, the current running temperature of the player, and other diagnostic information.

Update: It appears several individuals have received iPod touch models running Apple's factory diagnostic software. These people are unable to boot into the iPod's Mac OS X-based operating system, which may not have been installed on these units...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    What's with the cheerios?
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Who else gets a kick out of the Cheerios box for the serial number icon?

I love that they do this and that they are let do this, you know, no missive from big Steve going 'Hey! Quit monkeying around down there!'
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

Who else gets a kick out of the Cheerios box for the serial number icon?

I love that they do this and that they are let do this.

I was wondering... I doubt that they asked General Mills. But why would the Cheerios company be upset about it? It can only reflect well on them... Y'know, being inside the Halo and all!

I can see it now:

Quote:

Cheerios sales up 35% year over year. Annalyst Wu states that his research shows an iPod halo effect continuing into the 3rd qtr. of 2009 and raised his target price of GeneralMills to...

• Reply 4 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A Gizmodo reader recently purchased one of Apple's new iPod touch players only to open it up and find the unit running quite hot in "factory test mode."

If they ordered it from Apple, what does that say about the battery life? I fugre that it didn't really ship like that--they musta got it from a store where an employee was checking it out...
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Boroughs, not burrows.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agennuso View Post

What's with the cheerios?

cheerios = cereal ... sounds similar to serial...
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Boroughs, not burrows.

right. and Brooklyn is not a Borough of Manhattan but of New York. Manhattan itself is one of the 5 boroughs that make up NYC.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Meanwhile, the company is reported to be scouring the Manhattan burrow of Brooklyn for flagship-worthy retail space.

borough, not burrow (unless maybe the Apple Store is coming to Bag's End).

Now, just a control-click on "borough", select "Dictionary" and you get:

Quote:

• each of five divisions of New York City.

That is, Manhattan is a borough like Brooklyn -- so the above should read, "scouring the New York City borough of Brooklyn."

edit: one minute late
  • Reply 9 of 40
    I really hate it when they post an update to my iMac and don't let me know what's fixed or changed.

I'm not upgrading until they post the changes.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Boroughs, not burrows.

Yes, and Brooklyn is a borough of NYC, not Manhattan which is one of five.

The five boroughs:

The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Yes, and Brooklyn is a borough of NYC, not Manhattan which is one of five.

The five boroughs:

The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island.

impressive picture.

and lol at the cheerios.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Quote:

... the company is reported to be scouring the Manhattan burrow of Brooklyn ...

Umm, a burrow is a hole in the ground or other excavation (like a tunnel), especially for rabbits, mice, prairie dogs, moles, and Hobbits.

A borough is a neighborhood, precinct, district, or town; the cognate of the Spanish barrio, also synonymous with or similar to burg (a walled town or city) and burgh (but not Borg or bog, which are synonymous with Microsoft and the location one feels one is stuck in after using their products, respectively).

A bureau is a chest of drawers, a writing desk with drawers, or an office department or subdivision (drawers may be optional depending on bureau dress code ).

And a burro is a small donkey.

Example: I dug through the contents of my desk drawer, but I couldn't find classified document I borrowed from the Bureau in the burrow of my bureau to save my burro. Anyone care for a burrito?

So, according to the news copy, Apple is scouring the hole-in-the-ground-that-is-Brooklyn for retail space.

If I were from Brooklyn, I would be insulted.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Glad we don?t have the borough/burrow problem in England, where the two are not homophonous. Stupid "boro" pronunciation.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbh0001 View Post

If I were from Brooklyn, I would be insulted.

Well, I'm from Brooklyn and I was.

Thanks, AI, for making the corrections.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

If they ordered it from Apple, what does that say about the battery life? I fugre that it didn't really ship like that--they musta got it from a store where an employee was checking it out...

I'm sure they are all tested right before they go in the box. This one likely locked up while shutting down and the person was in too much of a hurry to notice. Boxed and shipped.

Oops.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Wait, I thought the iPod Touch didn't come with Bluetooth. So why would there even be an entry in the diagnostic control panel for Bluetooth? You don't test for things that aren't (and will never be) there, right?

It must be Friday if no one else asking that. Or am I missing something?
  • Reply 17 of 40
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    That's a tough pick. Wiliamsburg is the really cool trendy area. Lots of Mac users. But not really a shopping destination.

Downtown Brooklyn is most of the big money development is going on. And where most of the big new retail will go.

Apple will probably wait it out and see what happens.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    This is the best Cheerios cameo since Ma Kent's breakfast table in Superman: The Movie.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

This is the best Cheerios cameo since Ma Kent's breakfast table in Superman: The Movie.

Yes, but it would have been even cooler if they had used the Ka-Boom cereal box from "Kill Bill".
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scampercom View Post

Wait, I thought the iPod Touch didn't come with Bluetooth. So why would there even be an entry in the diagnostic control panel for Bluetooth? You don't test for things that aren't (and will never be) there, right?

It must be Friday if no one else asking that. Or am I missing something?

I was thinking about that too, and, I don't know what the deal is. My immediate thought was that they must have been in a rush to get it out and copied the subsystem gui from the iPhone and disabled the unneeded icons, but then I realized there's nothing for the cellular antenna, which you would assume has to be part of the iPhone's factory mode. The likely explanation is, of course, that they left it in to keep the possibility open for future models with bluetooth (probably once they open the iPhone up to multiple carriers, making Touch less of a cannibal)...but if you want to put your conspiracy theory hat on, maybe it has a hidden bluetooth antenna that does the Starbucks thing or is disabled until Apple releases their own set of wireless stereo headphones at MWSF, or a billion other things, really.