Apple preps third iPhone software update

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple this month is expected to release a third software update for its iPhone that will add new features and improve overall stability of the handset's embedded Mac OS X operating system.

Among the feature additions expected in the release is support for the company's recently announce Wi-Fi iTunes Music Store, which lets iPhone and iPod touch users shop a mobile version of the iTunes Store over a Wi-Fi connection.

Attempting to access the Wi-Fi store from an iPhone with the current version of the handset's firmware (1.0.2) yields an dialog box instructing users to upgrade their phone's firmware.

"You need to update your device's software in order to access the iTunes Store," the dialog says. "Simply sync your device to your computer and click "Check for Update" and then click this iTunes Store link again from your device when syncing is complete."

Separately, Apple on its iPhone website has posted product imagery showing an iPhone running firmware version 1.1.1. It's unclear whether the version numbering shown is indicative of the forthcoming update or simply an arbitrary mockup.

One person who claims to be familiar with the upcoming iPhone update has said the software could arrive as early as Monday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    All I can say is:

VOICE DIALING Please! VOICE DIALING Please! VOICE DIALING Please! VOICE DIALING Please!
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Enterprise level WiFi authentication for me, please.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

Enterprise level WiFi authentication for me, please.

Anyone here have a problem joining Wi-Fi hotspots on their iPhone when a specific hotspot requires users to agree to a set of terms via a Safari web page before gaining access? Only to have Safari fail to display the agreement page?

Best,

K
  • Reply 4 of 60
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    So far I haven't seen that problem. Do you see it all the time or only at a specific hotspot? I've logged onto Wholefoods WiF, the City of New York Library, and City Parks Department free WiFi this way and haven't had a problem.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Daring Fireball suggests that the Home button may be about to become customizable. (Double-click function. Like the music controls on the Touch.) Sounds good to me.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Anyone here have a problem joining Wi-Fi hotspots on their iPhone when a specific hotspot requires users to agree to a set of terms via a Safari web page before gaining access? Only to have Safari fail to display the agreement page?

Best,

K

Yes, particularly at Panera Bread.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by damiansipko View Post

Yes, particularly at Panera Bread.

You get a blank page right?

Does it attempt to load hotspot.com? I had this issue at a Champs restuarant earlier this week and have run across it in the past. Pretty annoying.

Best,

K
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:

Does it attempt to load hotspot.com? I had this issue at a Champs restuarant earlier this week and have run across it in the past. Pretty annoying.

Best,

K

Yeah, blank page. However I don't remember if it tries to load hotspot.com.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    Quote:

Best,

K

Dude, Champps? I didn't know anyone else had Champps... I remember when there were only two Champps (I'm a St. Paul native)... oh, wow, yeah looking at their website I see they're in quite a few states now... Weird.

ANYWAY (today must be my day for tangents)

This article gives a solution to the Panera (and possibly other site's) wifi redirect problem. It recommends to navigate directly to an IP address (e.g. 4.2.2.2) and it'll redirect you just fine.

Weird, huh?

-Clive

Oh, and Kasper, now that I have your attention, WILL YOU PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT ALL THE FREAKING TYPOS?!?!?!?!?!?! Thank you.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    All I can say is MMS pictures right on my phone. It should display just like it does in iChat when someone sends a picture. Enough of this 'go to a webpage' bullcrap. And I want to be able send pictures to someone's phone instead of to their email. Apple better start rolling out some decent updates for iPhone users. I love my iPhone, but I'm getting annoyed that I don't have some of the basic functions that a regular cell phone does. Anybody agree?
  • Reply 11 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greyst1crash View Post

All I can say is MMS pictures right on my phone. It should display just like it does in iChat when someone sends a picture. Enough of this 'go to a webpage' bullcrap. And I want to be able send pictures to someone's phone instead of to their email. Apple better start rolling out some decent updates for iPhone users. I love my iPhone, but I'm getting annoyed that I don't have some of the basic functions that a regular cell phone does. Anybody agree?

LOL, especially considering the lack of a copy/paste function! Speaking of, how about a copy/paste function please!
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Amen!! Lol. And how about backing up my notes when iTunes decides it has to restore my phone after 'someone' has hacked it to get custom icons, ringtones (for free) and applications.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    WiFi iTunes for sure.

Something is definitely coming to the home button as can be seen on the settings screen in Apple's $100 back registration page.

Also likely support for iPod touch features like multiple keyboard layouts, double-tap space for period and double-tap shift key for capslock.

Hopefully, a contacts button like on iPod touch.

Wishing, MMS inline like greyst1crash suggests and cut/copy/paste like justflie mentions.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    Quote:

Best,

K

Yes - have had this with Century City, CA public wi-fi. Not to mention what a PITA it is to fill out those forms beforehand... why can't I just *join*? (no need to answer that.. i know, i know)
  • Reply 15 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Dude, Champps? I didn't know anyone else had Champps... I remember when there were only two Champps (I'm a St. Paul native)... oh, wow, yeah looking at their website I see they're in quite a few states now... Weird.

ANYWAY (today must be my day for tangents)

This article gives a solution to the Panera (and possibly other site's) wifi redirect problem. It recommends to navigate directly to an IP address (e.g. 4.2.2.2) and it'll redirect you just fine.

Weird, huh?

-Clive

Oh, and Kasper, now that I have your attention, WILL YOU PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT ALL THE FREAKING TYPOS?!?!?!?!?!?! Thank you.

Clive, give poor Kasper a break. Bear in mind how fast he must always be reacting to post all the news. Considering the amount of text and the speed he must react in publishing it all, I think he does quite well.

Generally, despite the occasional typo, you get the gist of what he is trying to say. Get off his back and don't be so petty.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Ya.. the honeymoon is nearly over. I love the iPhone...but a rapid series of enhanced features is due. My top two are: (1) Voice Call, (2) MMS picture functionality without jumping through third party sites.

While they are at it.... they can address the bug that happens when you have iTunes playing as you have multiple Safari windows opened. Too frequently iTiunes stops playing and I get booted out of Safari.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    Quote:

Best,

K

Not once.

• Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

Clive, give poor Kasper a break. Bear in mind how fast he must always be reacting to post all the news. Considering the amount of text and the speed he must react in publishing it all, I think he does quite well.

Generally, despite the occasional typo, you get the gist of what he is trying to say. Get off his back and don't be so petty.

I agree with you. But time for Mr. K to hire a copy editor -- AI is getting influential, whether it means to or not.

I am sure there are kids with such skills who'd love to intern at a place like AI.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brownreese View Post

Ya.. the honeymoon is nearly over. I love the iPhone...but .......

Yup. It's over a 100 days now. (That's the official countdown for honeymoons).

My top 2 required fixes are: being able to select-cut-copy-paste and, voice-activated dialing.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    Hmm... checking out the photos on the rebate site...

The Settings-General has added "Home Button" and "International" as menu choices ... wonder what's in there.

Along with a new software Version (1.1.1) and new Modem Firmware. They cleverly scrolled PAST the "Capacity" before snapping the screenshot