Shares not showing up on network

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Since upgrading to 10.4.10, the Macs in my home office are sporadically unavailable on the network. Clicking on the Network in the Finder sidebar used to give the list of shared computers; now out of 4 computers with file sharing on, usually only 2 are visible (not always the same 2!) Even when the shares show up, connecting to them doesn't always work, sometimes it just beachballs and eventually says it can't connect. Is there any way short of downgrading to 10.4.8 to get back consistent network sharing? Is this a known issue or is it just me?

Appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Are your machines definitely awake and connected to the network? Shares can show up even when a machine is offline and it won't be able to connect. Similarly, some computer shares don't show up when a computer is online but you can still connect to it. As far as I know, the network reporting has always been flakey and I haven't noticed a difference on upgrading to 10.4.10.

One program you can try is Bonjour Browser, which shows active shares and updates properly. It's not as convenient but you can then get the IP address and use the Finder > go > connect to server and type the IP.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Are your machines definitely awake and connected to the network? Shares can show up even when a machine is offline and it won't be able to connect. Similarly, some computer shares don't show up when a computer is online but you can still connect to it. As far as I know, the network reporting has always been flakey and I haven't noticed a difference on upgrading to 10.4.10.

One program you can try is Bonjour Browser, which shows active shares and updates properly. It's not as convenient but you can then get the IP address and use the Finder > go > connect to server and type the IP.

Thanks for the link to Bonjour Browser; useful program, but didn't solve the problem.

What eventually worked for me was - all the macs on the network were set to Automatic in network preferences. I made a new location called (company name) Ethernet and made that the active location on each machine. Everything shows up/shares/browses OK now. Apparently not the best idea to leave everything on Automatic (at least since 10.4.10).

Cheers!