new nano screens not aligned properly?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just got myself an iphone after the rebate, but while spending some time at the Apple store, I checked out the new Nano. What a cool little player.

However, I noticed something that bothered me about every single Nano I saw in the store (once I noticed it on the first one, I checked the rest, and there were about 15 on display). The screen was not lined up exactly parallel with the top and the bottom. In each case, the right side of the screen was a little bit higher than the left. I noticed it right away and found it a bit distracting when watching video on the device.

All the iPod Classics looked aligned perfectly, incidentally.

Has anybody noticed this, or is it just a strangely misaligned batch of Nanos at the Chandler, AZ Apple store?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Apparently this is something that others are noticing. Engadget has posted a report about it.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/16/s...ilted-screens/

I'm really kind of worried about this latest batch of iPod's. I mean, between the issue with the nano screens, and the issue with the iPod touch screen not showing the blacks correctly, I'm thinking that Apple has done quite the rush job with their latest products.

I'm all set to buy an iPod touch, and my Mom is wanting an iPod of some sort for Christmas. I'm just thinking that I'll have to hold off for a while, if these problems persist, and are widespread.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne View Post

Apparently this is something that others are noticing. Engadget has posted a report about it.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/16/s...ilted-screens/

I'm really kind of worried about this latest batch of iPod's. I mean, between the issue with the nano screens, and the issue with the iPod touch screen not showing the blacks correctly, I'm thinking that Apple has done quite the rush job with their latest products.

I'm all set to buy an iPod touch, and my Mom is wanting an iPod of some sort for Christmas. I'm just thinking that I'll have to hold off for a while, if these problems persist, and are widespread.

Or, it was a simple manufacturing error on 1 line, only affecting a small percentage of nanos (but 1 store could be full of tilted nanos, because its the same shipment) and not a design flaw. I don't know much about manufacturing an iPod, but it seems the slightest mis-alignment and a sleeping "quality-checker" could lead to a 5% tilt in the screen.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    there have been reports from many nano 3rd gen users about this issue.

there are some youtube ipod nano reviews where you can clearly see the tilted screens.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....3662&tstart=15

looks like a big, widespread problem. it is more noticeable when the ipod nano is playing video.

nano screens tilted

classic lockups

touch with black screens looking as negatives

• Reply 4 of 14
    yes, i have heard of other people comenting on the. seems like it slipped by quality assurance
  • Reply 5 of 14
    didn't see this until after i made my thread. just bought a red nano myself, noticed the crooked screen a couple hours into using it. think i can return it? it's really annoying..
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thisismyusername View Post

didn't see this until after i made my thread. just bought a red nano myself, noticed the crooked screen a couple hours into using it. think i can return it? it's really annoying..

you should be able to get a replacement, or store credit.

if you get a replacement, test it right at the store to make sure the screen ain't tilted on the new one.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    All of the issues being described in this forum are normal, first-gen Apple hiccups. Give it two months and everything will be fine. You should be able to exchange your nano for a new one.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    (Turns on 3G nano on my desk)

Fortunately, my appears to display with no problems.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I guess most people already realize this, but dozens or even hundreds of unique posters on the Apple boards or some number of You Tube videos does not equal a "wide spread problem", unless your definition of same is "unknown percentage of affected units randomly distributed."

That doesn't mean we can rule out the idea that some large percentage of Nanos have crooked screens, or that some large percentage of Touches have bad video, but it's just as possible that a relatively small number of units slipped through early stages of cementing QC on new product lines, and that the usual internet magnifying effect-- wherein the people with bum iPods all speak up at once, thereby suggesting a great hue and cry-- has given a misleading impression, leading some to conclude that Apple has started selling a lot of poorly manufactured items and that there's something amiss about how Apple is doing business, these days.

At any rate, from what I've seen Apple is replacing the dark screened Touches, no questions asked, and I dare say they will do the same for crooked screen Nanos.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I guess most people already realize this, but dozens or even hundreds of unique posters on the Apple boards or some number of You Tube videos does not equal a "wide spread problem", unless your definition of same is "unknown percentage of affected units randomly distributed."

That doesn't mean we can rule out the idea that some large percentage of Nanos have crooked screens, or that some large percentage of Touches have bad video, but it's just as possible that a relatively small number of units slipped through early stages of cementing QC on new product lines, and that the usual internet magnifying effect-- wherein the people with bum iPods all speak up at once, thereby suggesting a great hue and cry-- has given a misleading impression, leading some to conclude that Apple has started selling a lot of poorly manufactured items and that there's something amiss about how Apple is doing business, these days.

At any rate, from what I've seen Apple is replacing the dark screened Touches, no questions asked, and I dare say they will do the same for crooked screen Nanos.

nah, read the apple forums at apple.com

some stores are charging 40 USD restocking fees just to get a new touch.

and there are reports of people checking out the nanos on display at different stores and a large portion of them are tilted. that doesn't sound like a small problem. you'd guess that people that exchange the nanos for a third time would get it right. and the thing about the tilted screen nanos is that you are not able to see the problem clearly until you turn on the screen and play a video. so what may look like a fine nano in an unopened box, will look like a lemon with a tilted screen when you get home and load a video. just sad! it may be limited to some stores or some areas, but that doesnt make it small. new ipods sell fast.

and internet reviews that werent meant to purposedly show the nano with the tilted screens HAVE tilted screens. i think it might be more common than what you think.

sorry if i sound pessimistic or paranoid but... i'm STILL heading to the apple store in houston galleria this weekend to check it out myself and get one of the new ipods.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut View Post

nah, read the apple forums at apple.com

some stores are charging 40 USD restocking fees just to get a new touch.

and there are reports of people checking out the nanos on display at different stores and a large portion of them are tilted. that doesn't sound like a small problem. you'd guess that people that exchange the nanos for a third time would get it right. and the thing about the tilted screen nanos is that you are not able to see the problem clearly until you turn on the screen and play a video. so what may look like a fine nano in an unopened box, will look like a lemon with a tilted screen when you get home and load a video. just sad! it may be limited to some stores or some areas, but that doesnt make it small. new ipods sell fast.

and internet reviews that werent meant to purposedly show the nano with the tilted screens HAVE tilted screens. i think it might be more common than what you think.

sorry if i sound pessimistic or paranoid but... i'm STILL heading to the apple store in houston galleria this weekend to check it out myself and get one of the new ipods.

Point taken. From what you say, it sounds like tilted Nano screens might fairly be described as "widespread".

It appears that Apple rushed the new iPods to market and QC may have slipped a bit in the early lots (dark Touch screen, tilted Nano screen).

Apple is clearly dealing with the dark Touch screens, here's hoping they treat the tilted Nano screen issue the same way.

Although in my previous post I noted the power of the internet to amplify the apparent frequency of a problem, one of the great things about the internet is that it gives the people experiencing a problem a way to reality check each other, and not be blown off by some random Apple store employee claiming their problem is "normal".

Once a bunch of people start talking about something like the Nano screen, it becomes a "known problem", even if Apple hasn't yet acknowledged it as such.

I do think Apple needs to do a better job at identifying these kinds of issues, deciding, one way or the other, what the official line is, and communicating it to the stores. It's incredibly irritating for one guy to get a replacement straight away and someone else to great treated like they're imagining things or to have to pay a restocking fee, just because Apple employees are winging it.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Point taken. From what you say, it sounds like tilted Nano screens might fairly be described as "widespread".

It appears that Apple rushed the new iPods to market and QC may have slipped a bit in the early lots (dark Touch screen, tilted Nano screen).

Apple is clearly dealing with the dark Touch screens, here's hoping they treat the tilted Nano screen issue the same way.

i had a crooked nano.. they replaced it, and then even let me return it, then went and bought a touch at a best buy closer to where i live.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

A widespread problem it is: I took my nano to the Apple Store in Osaka, Japan, a few days ago and the Genius said every nano in the store had a tilted screen. Every one. Apple also doesn't seem to have a plan to deal with the situation. The screen is so noticeably tilted it is incredible, and it is not just a few units.

Apple is aware of the problem yet they continue to sell the product (and it is not just a hiccup), which puts them in a very dangerous position, and if they continue this it may wreck their business in the long run.

I ranted about my trip here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=79935

This weekend I will sit down and write a well-composed letter to Steve himself because I want to be happy with my purchase, not feel that I made some stockholders happy while I made due with a sub-standard item.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I don't know if it was reading stuff like this and it is making me paranoid but I swear the right side of my classic screen is a pixel or so lower than the left. It is driving me nuts because I am crazy with stuff like that.