I'll be really surprised if Leopard is released in October

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I can tell you the the latest build of Leopard is a lot more stable than previous versions but still has an aweful lot of bugs. I can't use the Mail program as it keeps shutting down, Safari quits a lot and Time Machine does not work as advertised. In order to make the late October it would have to be released to manufacturing this week and I just dont see that happening.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    But then again, another delay in the Leopard release is not the "Apple way". We'll have to wait an see...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I think Apple will release it on time. They can patch as they go. But of course, you're right. Time Machine is a key feature and must work as they advertised it.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I'm more concerned about Open GL performance in the recent iMac drivers. It sucks compared to the Windows Vista version...?

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

I'm more concerned about Open GL performance in the recent iMac drivers. It sucks compared to the Windows Vista version...?

Lemon Bon Bon.

Is this a question or a fact statement?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post

I can tell you the the latest build of Leopard is a lot more stable than previous versions but still has an aweful lot of bugs. I can't use the Mail program as it keeps shutting down, Safari quits a lot and Time Machine does not work as advertised. In order to make the late October it would have to be released to manufacturing this week and I just dont see that happening.

A valid sentiment...

... one that has been voiced prior to every OS release by pretty much every OS vendor.

The question is, how indicative of the typical experience is your anecdote?

I won't be surprised if it is released or if if is delayed. Software vendors do both on a regular basis. Personally, I'm guessing it's ready and that it will ship with minor bugs as usual. These minor bugs will be horrible for a certain percentage of the user population. They'll gripe like mad. Apple will release a few patches within the first few months. Griping users will claim victory against corporate greed and apple will claim victory by listening to and fixing bug reports. And the cycle begins all over again.

Or is that too cynical?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I won't be surprised if it is released or if if is delayed. Software vendors do both on a regular basis. Personally, I'm guessing it's ready and that it will ship with minor bugs as usual. These minor bugs will be horrible for a certain percentage of the user population. They'll gripe like mad. Apple will release a few patches within the first few months. Griping users will claim victory against corporate greed and apple will claim victory by listening to and fixing bug reports. And the cycle begins all over again.

Or is that too cynical?

I think that's about the most level-headed and reasonable analysis I've read on any forum regarding Leopard's release date
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

I'm unaware of any product release that has take a month to be delivered once the GM has been reached. Typically Microsoft goes GM and the discs are ready in a couple of weeks. The packaging is likely already done and just awaiting any docs and the disc[s]
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

I assume you're keeping your log files and submitting bugs? If not, then you're not doing your job as an ADC Select/Premiere developer.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I assume you're keeping your log files and submitting bugs? If not, then you're not doing your job as an ADC Select/Premiere developer.

Yes, everytime it crashes it sends the report to Apple. I am running Leopard on a 24" Intel iMac 2.33 with 3GB of memory and a 17" Power PC iMac. The problems enountered are happening to both.