Need Ideas For Short Film

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm currently taking an "Interactive Multimedia" course and would appreciate if you guys could help me think of some ideas for a short story my partner and I could film/animation.

We will be filming with a "blue screen" background and then replacing the background (with Adobe After Effects) with any image we want.

The story should be around a few minutes long only.

Thanks in advance,

John

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    How about:

Young man and woman meet on a boat, fall in love, boat hits iceberg, sinks, man dies.

or:

Man meets ex girlfriend with new boyfriend who are pursued by evil occupators, man gets sentimental, but helps couple to escape.

or:

Little man owns jewellery, visits a volcano, gets finger bitten off, jewellery gone.

• Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anician View Post

Hi,

I'm currently taking an "Interactive Multimedia" course and would appreciate if you guys could help me think of some ideas for a short story my partner and I could film/animation.

We will be filming with a "blue screen" background and then replacing the background (with Adobe After Effects) with any image we want.

The story should be around a few minutes long only.

Thanks in advance,

John

A love scene usually involves only 2 people, no need for a lot of props, and according to what most women complain most about, it only lasts a few minutes.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I'm going to suggest a concept that I thought about doing in college, but never got around to. My roommate was an anime fan, but I wasn't. However, it was on quite a bit.

I thought it might be fun to do a live-action parody of something like Dragonball-Z. If shooting blue screen is part of your project's requirements this concept might work for you.

You could do things like dialog in close-up with your actors moving only their mouths.

Then have an over-the-top emotional reaction from your actor.

Cut the transition frames out so it's a jump-cut to big eyed screaming etc and make the background flash different seizure inducing colors.

etc etc etc.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I had a dream several days ago. It was like, you know those sort of Medieval fantasy things, but it was like a thousand years later, where you know, there's buldings, and cars and stuff.

It's kinda like a Parallel Universe thing, but I'm not sure it has been done before. It's like imagine one of those rolling hills and forests landscapes with knights and horses and stuff. But suddenly, as the camera pulls back to show, in one valley below, there are these skyscrapers and stuff.

And for some reason I was talking to some guy with an Irish accent.

Neo-Ireland? Wow. This could really be a cool TV series or something.

Maybe you have to be some stuff to get it. (For the record I wasn't high, I was dreaming).
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

A love scene usually involves only 2 people, no need for a lot of props, and according to what most women complain most about, it only lasts a few minutes.

*Ahem* ...using certain "props" [chemical, physical, recreational] you can make it last for hours
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Don't film on BLUE screen. Use GREEN screen and impress your classmates. Even better, then do stuff like this (okay, so they used blue not green):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWPJef9E_00

[You need to do "stabilise" and "optical interpolate" etc stuff]

Bullet time in After Effects would be hella cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZh787eKeEw

fake bullet time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpDgv...elated&search=

ha ha notice how the maid is laughing her ass off

This is highly mastubatory, but hell, why don't you just BLOW SHIT UP??? w00t

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BuspINhPSM

Of course, all this stuff is now cheesy and very passe.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    How about... A guy asks for ideas for his short film on a forum. The forum members offer up a great selection, but needing only one, he picks the best idea and runs with it. The very next year, the project is nominated for and wins the Oscar for best short film. He thanks his Mom, his cat, his girlfriend, but does not mention the AppleInsider or the guy who gave him the idea. In the final scene, he is desperately looking for the original forum thread so he will have project ideas when the major studios come calling.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Who needs a plot line? Just do something wild and crazy like the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey.