Graphic Designer here, need to convince company I need a mac to do my job!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I'm looking for the ultimate guru's for a Mac vs. PC debate in a corporate office/firm setting. Basically, trying to convince CEO and IT why I need a mac. I'm a graphic designer for a land development firm. Work close with Landscape Architects and Civil Engineers.

I'll take concept sketches and/or AutoCAD files (that are converted for me) and pretty them up in photoshop or illustrator, do planned development books in InDesign. Web services are offered, but it's not the primary vs. print.

I'm currently working on a Dual-Core Xeon Dell workstation windows XP. Years ago up until 04' I was all about PC, but now have been accustomed to my mac.

At home, I've got a Dual Dual-Core Xeon 2.66 that I love dearly, multitasks very well.

I need to write up a report how this will communicate how I do my job better if i have a mac. I know that's a far-fetched statement, but trying to sell them on having me use a mac for my services while the entire office can cope with their PC network. I would appreciate any elaborate feedback and insight.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Unfortunately you're probably up against the IT dept/guy that has said "I don't do Macs." Isn't it amazing that IT has that kind of freedom? Imagine if you told your employers "I don't do AutoCad files" or "I don't do InDesign, I only do Quark." For some reason IT guys get away with this stuff.

Anyway, I imagine the only way to defeat the phenomenal power of IT guys (or maybe just IT wannabes) is with numbers. Perhaps you can log the number of restarts, program crashes, etc. Honestly, if I were in your position, I'd be tempted to just bring my computer in to work and wow them with my increased productivity.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Unfortunately you're probably up against the IT dept/guy that has said "I don't do Macs." Isn't it amazing that IT has that kind of freedom? Imagine if you told your employers "I don't do AutoCad files" or "I don't do InDesign, I only do Quark." For some reason IT guys get away with this stuff.

Anyway, I imagine the only way to defeat the phenomenal power of IT guys (or maybe just IT wannabes) is with numbers. Perhaps you can log the number of restarts, program crashes, etc. Honestly, if I were in your position, I'd be tempted to just bring my computer in to work and wow them with my increased productivity.

You couldn't have said it better. The Power of IT, really. In the mindset, which is somewhat true, PCs can do what MACs do... I have to go with the notion it's not a super loss in cost with going to a mac, and it won't do any harm, less maintenance... Hell, I could see why MACs aren't liked in some offices... it would put IT out of a job. IT is constantly putting notices of security vulnerabilities, and e-mail spam notices (warnings to not click open attachments)... there's a lot of overhead watch and maintenance with PCs in this regard, but if I switched to Mac, there would be a cut in IT's hours lol.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Oh good. Ask your bosses to ask the IT guys how many of those warnings they get apply to Macs. (btw, MAC is short for MAC address and is a networking term. Mac is short for Macintosh and is a computer type) Maybe if you can get your Mac foot in the door it'll lead to sweeping changes! Ok, not likely, but possibly.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    It shouldn't be that hard as long as your boss doesn't mind footing the bill for the extra software, etc. It really depends on your boss, who I guarantee has already made up his/her mind. Some bosses want their staff to be content that they have their preferred tools. Others are command and control types (jerks). IT is pretty inconsequential. I'm not sure why everyone thinks they're the obstacle. In 1992 networks weren't standardized. Now they are. All of the IT people I've ever met are actually quite fond of macs since they have become intel-powered.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    to be honest, there is nothing you cannot do on a mac that you cannot do on a pc, so you dont really need a mac at all, yes i know its nicer on a mac, but if youre a good artist, you will produce good art whatever the platform.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

to be honest, there is nothing you cannot do on a mac that you cannot do on a pc, so you dont really need a mac at all, yes i know its nicer on a mac, but if youre a good artist, you will produce good art whatever the platform.

An Intel mac is actually the ultimate tool for firmware programmers. It is the only computer that, without going through complicated and convoluted steps. can easily run all the GNU tools, all of the windows tools, and has the ability to talk to Exchange servers. And it has a dynamite GUI.

For graphics uses, there are more freeware utilities for mac than there are for windows, and the built-in color calibration, display layer, and font-utilities are much better than they are for Windows. Those are the primary reasons why macs are better for graphics than windows machines are. Even the most gifted artist intends on having the output look the same in print as it does on screen.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Of course, when your file ultimately lands in the hands of a mostly-PC printer or client, the advantages just go flying out the window...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Most CAD apps can open dxf and dwg files. No one should use AutoCAD, even on Windows. It's a pile of feces.

As far as wysiwyg between mac and windows, it's no worse than wysiwyg between windows and windows!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

For graphics uses, there are more freeware utilities for mac than there are for windows, and the built-in color calibration, display layer, and font-utilities are much better than they are for Windows. Those are the primary reasons why macs are better for graphics than windows machines are. Even the most gifted artist intends on having the output look the same in print as it does on screen.

^ all great reasons. The color management should sell it alone:

http://www.thirdviewdesign.co.uk/windowsmac.html (some good points here)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkUK

I have to agree there though. I've used both and although Macs are nicer, you can do the same work with either one. Efficiency, although important is subjective. If a PC makes you work slower because for example you spend half your day crying in the bathroom that you have to use such a horrible machine then it's definitely an issue. Where I work, we get people complaining about using Macs mainly because they only know how to use PCs.

My brother is a designer and their dept is Mac only, the pre-press room is full of them but they get a lot of stick from the IT guys too. There's less of it now with the Intel machines and the prices getting lower but there's still that dislike towards things they aren't used to.

It's easier for an IT guy (or anyone really) to hold his hands up and say they don't know how to deal with a Mac than to actually find out they are generally easier to work with.

You're walking on shaky ground though because as soon as your Mac develops a problem, the IT guys will give you a headache about it at any opportunity. Like the PC people where I work will do when we get a device like a smartphone or printer that doesn't have Mac drivers. We had a touch display once that used a serial connection or something and obviously that wouldn't work with a Mac. They absolutely love it when they can score one over because they think that we are all deluded idiots, it's really annoying behaviour.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Like the PC people where I work will do when we get a device like a smartphone or printer that doesn't have Mac drivers. We had a touch display once that used a serial connection or something and obviously that wouldn't work with a Mac. They absolutely love it when they can score one over because they think that we are all deluded idiots, it's really annoying behaviour.

Get some anti-virus software. Then call them in to your office every day to complain that it must not be working because it's not detecting any viruses.