MB(P) Additional Memory, when is it needed?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Regardless of when Apple is gonna release new MacBook and MacBook Pros I am wondering what actual difference in everyday use can the increase of memory make.

If you choose to have 2GB i/o one when will you actually need it?

How many applications would you have to have open to utilize both 2GB?

Will it actually make for instance iLife applications run faster or does it just give you a chance to run more applications at the same time?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mind_Fast View Post

Regardless of when Apple is gonna release new MacBook and MacBook Pros I am wondering what actual difference in everyday use can the increase of memory make.

Will it actually make for instance iLife applications run faster or does it just give you a chance to run more applications at the same time?

it makes programs run at their intended speed. for example, if you ran photoshop on a computer with 256mb of ram, the program would run terribly, where as if you ran it with 2 gb, it would run fast. and it also makes running multiple programs faster as well. but you'd need to be doing a lot to fully utilize 2gb of ram.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

It depends on the apps and how many you keep open. If you 'run out' of RAM it will page out to the HDD and that slows things down.

I've got 2 gbs of RAM on my MBP. I don't think I've ever had a page out to the HDD.

To give you some examples of RAM usage I opened some apps and this is what I found:

1) iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie and camino(my browser)- 1.12 gbs of RAM free

2) Excel, PP, Word and camino-992 mbs of RAM free

I don't use CS3 or Apple pro apps so I can't give you any examples there. Hope this helps. YMMV depending upon the number of photos you have or the data you have in a spreadsheet, ect.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

It depends on the apps and how many you keep open. If you 'run out' of RAM it will page out to the HDD and that slows things down.

I've got 2 gbs of RAM on my MBP. I don't think I've ever had a page out to the HDD.

To give you some examples of RAM usage I opened some apps and this is what I found:

1) iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie and camino(my browser)- 1.12 gbs of RAM free

2) Excel, PP, Word and camino-992 mbs of RAM free

I don't use CS3 or Apple pro apps so I can't give you any examples there. Hope this helps. YMMV depending upon the number of photos you have or the data you have in a spreadsheet, ect.

I ain't gonna be using any very advanced aplications either. But you see a MBP has seperate memory on a graphics card for the graphics whereas a MB has to share the main memory for that. I'd be interested in doing some movie editin n I was thinking that iLife 08 could be a bit heavy for the MacBook that has been equipped with iLife '06 which is already 2 years old. I can't really afford an MBP so thought of doubling the memory...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

I ain't gonna be using any very advanced aplications either. But you see a MBP has seperate memory on a graphics card for the graphics whereas a MB has to share the main memory for that. I'd be interested in doing some movie editin n I was thinking that iLife 08 could be a bit heavy for the MacBook that has been equipped with iLife '06 which is already 2 years old. I can't really afford an MBP so thought of doubling the memory...

MBs will handle iMovie and the iLife apps well. If you plan to edit movies in Final Cut you'd be better off with a MBP.

If you get a MB I would start with 1gb of RAM and see hoe it goes. You can always add more later.