Are minimums a suggestion, or a requirement?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am really starting to dig Tabula Rasa, the new upcoming MMO. I have Vista on my 24" iMac with a 2.13GHz processor and 2GBs of RAM. Unfortunately, on the website it says it needs to be a minimum of 2.5GHz processor.

Will I be able to run it, or will it automatically say "no"?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

I am really starting to dig Tabula Rasa, the new upcoming MMO. I have Vista on my 24" iMac with a 2.13GHz processor and 2GBs of RAM. Unfortunately, on the website it says it needs to be a minimum of 2.5GHz processor.

Will I be able to run it, or will it automatically say "no"?

That's a single 2.5GHz processor... you have two 2.16GHz cores...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

That's a single 2.5GHz processor... you have two 2.16GHz cores...

That's true, but if the program is not written to use 2 cores, it won't run any better than on a single core machine. But you're only 14% under the minimum-- you might get lucky.

I would guess that the video card in the iMac will be more of factor in overall game performance. I don't game much, but I've heard the iMac's video card is by no means stellar.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    The 2.5GHz is in reference to a Pentium 4. As a Core 2 Duo is classed as a faster CPU, it will let you play the game without throwing up any errors.

The iMac's graphics card certainly isn't stellar, but it does meet the 128MB DX9 card with Shader Model 2.0 support.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

The 2.5GHz is in reference to a Pentium 4. As a Core 2 Duo is classed as a faster CPU, it will let you play the game without throwing up any errors.

I don't think speed requirement is anything to do with errors, but rather to get acceptable framerate and usability.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think speed requirement is anything to do with errors, but rather to get acceptable framerate and usability.

I absolutely agree. But, the poster was specifically asking if having a lower clocked CPU speed present an error message saying "no".