I have an iPod Touch/iPhone quandry. Help. :-)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey people,

Ok. Heres the deal. I LOVE the iphone. But I don't really need a phone right now. I will be travelling around the world most of the next year. I really could use the wifi feature tho. Travelling with a laptop that fits in your pocket is VERY helpful...not to mention "cool".

The thing is, to activate the iphone's features as you know, requires locking into a 2 year AT&T plan. That doesn't work for my situation right now as I mentioned above.

Then comes the iPod Touch....and my prayers were answered. It had the wifi features without the phone.

BUT just as I was about to nab an iPod Touch at the Apple Store...someone tells me...I should get an iPhone and just unlock it with a "hack". Thus giving me the wifi that I need without having to commit to a phone contract right now. Plus I'd have a built in camera....AND down the road...a PHONE...should I need one.

I like that idea. HOWEVER....I'd only do it, if the "hack" was a simple download and safe. I don't want to have to crack open my iphone and take a soldering gun to its innards to unlock it. No way.

I basically want to know if its possible to unlock an iphone so that one can just use wifi at first without having to activate AT&T.

Plus I want it to be simple, and if it would cripple ANY other aspect of the iphone other than the phone feature.

Anyone know?

If its too much trouble, I'll just get the iPod touch. Sure it won't have a camera....and some of the iphone features like "mail" and "adding to calander memos" etc are absent....but those features I am sure Apple will supply to the Touch via a simple download in the future.

Anyway...thanks for any and all help.

Cheers.

-Reg

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    well sir, I don't have one clue about how to hack an iphone, but there are stories out there right now about people that are trying to get service on a hacked iphone are not getting it.. I personally, maybe due to morality sake would not do such a thing to a product, never have, never will. I think you have to ask yourself what you want it for. If you just want something to surf the web, I think the best choice is the touch.. just so you don't have to deal with voided warranties and the like. you can always just use google calendar or something like that if you need to update on the fly, with wireless internet. I'm just blabbing now, basically I would go with the touch, I think as it matures, the programs will become more available to it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Hey thanks.

I hear what you're sayin.

I have no intention to "steal" anything. I am a confirmed Apple head...whose been loyal for over 10 years now. Being an artist and filmmaker, Its been only Apple for me.

But heres my quandry. I just don't need a phone right now. I don't want to "steal" or get away with anything as it where. Should I get an iphone, I TOTALLY plan to activate the phone sometime down the road. For the time being however, I will be traveling around the world in New Zealand, Asia and Europe. So the phone is of no use to me.

But the wifi is.

I see your point. Just get the ipod touch now...and the iphone later.

I was just figuring I could kill two birds with one stone. Right now I don't need a phone...but in a year...i'd prefer to have them all in one unit.

Unless the "hack" is a simple download...I wouldn't even attempt to alter my iphone in any way.

So far it doesn't seem to be worth the risk.

I think its the ipod touch for me then. Woo Hoo! :-)

Its all good.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

Hey thanks.

I hear what you're sayin.

I have no intention to "steal" anything. I am a confirmed Apple head...whose been loyal for over 10 years now. Being an artist and filmmaker, Its been only Apple for me.

But heres my quandry. I just don't need a phone right now. I don't want to "steal" or get away with anything as it where. Should I get an iphone, I TOTALLY plan to activate the phone sometime down the road. For the time being however, I will be traveling around the world in New Zealand, Asia and Europe. So the phone is of no use to me.

But the wifi is.

I see your point. Just get the ipod touch now...and the iphone later.

I was just figuring I could kill two birds with one stone. Right now I don't need a phone...but in a year...i'd prefer to have them all in one unit.

Unless the "hack" is a simple download...I wouldn't even attempt to alter my iphone in any way.

So far it doesn't seem to be worth the risk.

I think its the ipod touch for me then. Woo Hoo! :-)

Its all good.

Holddd up. On... engadget? I think it's engadget. He talks about unlocking the iphone step by step. And if you wanted, you could just pay 50 dollars for the iphonesimfree or whatever it's called. Do a bit more research, as will I. I'm in the same boat.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    It's not engadget.

http://9to5mac.com/haching-the-iphone-234432144

It's sorta deep, but there's lots of ways out there.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Hello,

I got an iPod Touch about a month ago and I just bought an iPhone. I personally think that if you only need Wi-Fi, Touch would be the best option so far. Plus I have noticed that the Wi-Fi signal indicator on the Touch is much higher than the iPhone. In fact, when Touch gets the highest level, iPhone doesn't even find the network...

I restored the iPhone but didn't change anything... So when it is all about Wi-Fi you will be more than satisfied with the Touch... Only thing is that iPhone still has internet if there is no Wi-Fi... But it is costly...