Get Permissions, or Suffer the Consequences!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
OK, here's one for the designers out there... maybe it's just me, but when I create new Illustrator or Photoshop files for use by others (production artists and printers), I have found if I don't change permissions on everything I create, it becomes problematic for others to work with my files.

How can I permanently disable permissions tied to me for newly created files (or at least enable "everyone" to work with them instead of just me). It's a major, major pain in the hoozit!

Thanks, troopers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I've never heard of that problem before, but you could try saving your files to a secondary hard drive and disabling permissions on it (File>Get info). You can't disable permissions on the startup drive.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    So the permissions are actually set based on the permissions of the drive? Gawd, I hate this aspect of OSX... just one more bloody roadblock to efficiency.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Yeah, so OS X should allow complete security vulneralability should you have a problem...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

So the permissions are actually set based on the permissions of the drive? Gawd, I hate this aspect of OSX... just one more bloody roadblock to efficiency.

The behaviour you are seeing isn't normal though. I exchange illustrator, Indesign, Photoshop etc files all the time with people. If it's people using the same machine, I could understand but with admin privileges, they can fix it easily. Maybe you need to do a permissions repair using disk utility.

When you do a default save, what permissions does a file get? Look at the get info window.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the permissions are based on the user, not the drive.

I trade files all the time, everyday and I never have permissions problems.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I haven't been following this to closely, and permissions is one thing I don't fully understand, but could the OP be talking about files placed in the "Shared" folder. I find that when I do this other users have read capabilities but only the creator has write privileges.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The behaviour you are seeing isn't normal though. I exchange illustrator, Indesign, Photoshop etc files all the time with people. If it's people using the same machine, I could understand but with admin privileges, they can fix it easily. Maybe you need to do a permissions repair using disk utility.

When you do a default save, what permissions does a file get? Look at the get info window.

OK, here's a typical 'get info' result:

Ownership & Permissions

You can: Read & Write

Details:

owner: (my name)

Access: Read & Write

Group: (my name)

Access: Read only

Others: Read only

The problem with this is---I need to be able to create files that are Read & Write enabled for "everyone"... in a production environment, I don't need permissions restricted. It's ridiculous to change the settings for dozens of files at a time.

Any ideas?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the permissions are based on the user, not the drive.

I trade files all the time, everyday and I never have permissions problems.

It's not just "trading files", it's creating and e-mailing graphics files (Illustrator, Photoshop, JPGs, etc.) which become unusable to PCs and Macs in large corporate settings because they don't know how to change permissions on their side.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Try going to finder-->(whatever your home folder is called)-->get info-->change permissions for others to read and write, then select 'apply to enclosed items.

• Reply 10 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

OK, here's a typical 'get info' result:

Ownership & Permissions

You can: Read & Write

Details:

owner: (my name)

Access: Read & Write

Group: (my name)

Access: Read only

Others: Read only

The problem with this is---I need to be able to create files that are Read & Write enabled for "everyone"... in a production environment, I don't need permissions restricted. It's ridiculous to change the settings for dozens of files at a time.

Any ideas?

It's weird though because I've never had the problem and my permissions come out just like that although group is set to wheel. I exchange files between multiple machines including PCs and printer people and there's never been a problem like this. Do you have a problem opening/saving other people's files or is it just that they have trouble with yours?

You can change the default permissions. The second last post on this site where others seem to have had similar problems links to a script to do it:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archiv...hp/t-9860.html
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's weird though because I've never had the problem and my permissions come out just like that although group is set to wheel. I exchange files between multiple machines including PCs and printer people and there's never been a problem like this. Do you have a problem opening/saving other people's files or is it just that they have trouble with yours?

You can change the default permissions. The second last post on this site where others seem to have had similar problems links to a script to do it:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archiv...hp/t-9860.html

This sounds like a sensible solution, but I admit I'm terrified of destroying my computer if I were to carry out such brute force methods.

Apple should be taken to task for not offering an alternative for this absurd problem.