file size vs media size difference after jpg conversion

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
hi

i have tried converting a batch of Jpgs using both GraphicConverter and EasyBatchPhoto so that i can reduce the file size. With both applications i am getting larger file sizes than i have specified for the conversion, and also the 'get info' feature in finder and preview report different file sizes. when i open the converted images in QPict it specifies two sizes, file size (which is equivalent to finder) and Media Size (which is equivalent to Preview). When i try to embed images in Music Files it is the Media Size (Preview) which determines the increase in the music file size. But i wonder why i am getting this difference after conversion, as all of my files pre-conversion show the same file size and media size in QPict. I would like Finder to report the size that is going to count when it comes to embedding.

i hope this is clear

nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Some image programs embed a thumbnail inside the resource fork of an image. This can increase the filesize quite a lot I've found - the file size will include this but the media size won't. If you choose save web ready (without resource) in GraphicConverter, that may sort the issue.

There's also a preference in GraphicConverter to generate thumbnails every time if you view images in the thumbnail view. Otherwise, the first time it will embed thumbnails without telling you. It's very annoying because you then have to go through all your images removing the resource fork. I had a command-line program to do this but now I just make sure the option is turned off.