3D packages

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm in the market for a 3D application (for modeling/architecture purposes), and I've been reading up on Cinema 4D XL, Lightwave, and Maya. Unfortunately, I haven't had an opportunity to demo the packages except Maya PLE, but if anyone can share any positives and negatives about these applications, I'd be very appreciative.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Don't rule out <a href="http://www.nemetschek.net/"; target="_blank">Vectorworks</a>

Architecture is it's specialty.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Well, it doesn't look like AcademicSuperstore offers student pricing for Vectorworks, so while it looks like excellent software, I'll probably have to stick with the three aformentioned. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each individual package or do the differences boil down to taste?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    You can download a demo of both Lightwave and Cinema4D from Newtek and Maxon.

Lightwave Discovery Edition:

<a href="http://www.newtek.com/discovery.html"; target="_blank">http://www.newtek.com/discovery.html</A>;

Maxon Demo

<a href="http://www.maxoncomputer.com/download_demo.asp"; target="_blank">http://www.maxoncomputer.com/download_demo.asp</A>;

Registration required, YMMV.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    I like Cinema 4D.

I think it is a little easier to get to grips with than Maya or Lightwave.

Definitely go for the demos though.

[Edit; I think Lightwave's renderer is supposed to be the best, whereas Maya's modelling is tremendously powerful - I think often it is just a matter of personal preference, and what you need it to do.

Not very helpful, I know ]

[ 03-07-2003: Message edited by: DaveLee ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by DaveLee:

<strong>I like Cinema 4D.

I think it is a little easier to get to grips with than Maya or Lightwave.

Definitely go for the demos though.

[Edit; I think Lightwave's renderer is supposed to be the best, whereas Maya's modelling is tremendously powerful - I think often it is just a matter of personal preference, and what you need it to do.

Not very helpful, I know ]

[ 03-07-2003: Message edited by: DaveLee ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey Don't forget the Maya now has Mentay Ray which is an excellent renderer. This means you get Global Illumuniation!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 18
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    I use Maya and LightWave at work almost everyday. I use them mostly on PCs but in general they are the same on PCs and Macs.

Here are my few cents about it all. First off every package has its pros and cons. What one package is good at another might suck at it, and vice versa. Do not discredit any package. I have my beefs with LightWave and with Maya. There are things I can do in Maya that I couldn't dream of in LightWave but I can also get a LOT done in LightWave. Just use what works for you.

Now it is true that Mayas renderer sucks(though it has gotten a little better), and MentalRay has helped a great deal but there is still a lot of Mayas attributes that MentalRay doesn't render yet. Globalillumination is great but not realistic if you aredoing long and detailed animations. Most studios fake GI with more advanced lighting setups, so don't let that be the selling point for Maya. Maya has strong animation capabilities, a great scripting language, great dymamics engine, and so forth. It also has a huge learning curve, more then say LIghtWave and Cinema4D. I although have heard from people that they find LIghtWave complicated, so again whatever works for you the best.

Lightwave has a solid renderer. It is fast and beautiful. Lightwave also has one of the best modelers in the industry. A lot of studios love LIghtwaves modeler and they end up modeling in Lightwave then sending their models over to maya for animation and rigging and so on. A side note to that is that I have seen great models made in Maya.

I can go on and on and on about this subject since I do it for a living and can probably state more but in the end it comes down to one major thing. All these programs are just tools and it is the artist that makes the art. If you can understand maya go for it...same for Lightwave. I haven't really messed around with C4D I can't really take a stance on it, although I have heard really good(and bad) things about it.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Oh, one quick question.

How accurate do you want to be for architectural reasons? The reason is that Maya supports NURBS which is great for architectural purposes. LightWave does not.

NURBS are used during manufacturing and design processes. For example, car and product design. You can take a up to scale NURBS model straight to manufacturing. If you that kind of detail and want to model in NURBS(which can suck sometimes) then Maya would be a strong choice.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I would recommend Form Z 4.0 for architects since it has NURBS and a whole slew of other modelling tools, many which are tailored for architectural uses. Maya is serious overkill in some cases, and doesn't have the tools architects would find as useful in others. Form Z does rapid prototyping, imports and exports in a ton of formats, etc. Anyway, I would recommend Form Z, but of course it's still not out, and the release date (now it will be released as a gamma too) keeps getting pushed back.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Aside from the software, you may want to also think about support. Alias|Wavefront has been around a long time and they have several learning tools and a huge support staff. I agree, Maya may be over kill for what you may need now... but hey think outside the box and make some really kick-ass Architectural presentations!

Here is one of my favorite reels:

<a href="http://www.kdlab.net/"; target="_blank">http://www.kdlab.net/</a>;
  • Reply 10 of 18
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Cinema 4D 8 (Oxygen, as it's known for some inadequately explained reason) has NURBS support and also HyperNURBS. Not sure what they are, since I'm still feeling my way with it (nice renders, mind you), but they sound cool.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    I'm going to be using it more as a hobbyist, a prosumer, than anything else, prototyping levels for three-dimensional gameplay, etc., so NURBS aren't essential. I'll continue to play around with the demos and probably make my decision this coming week. Thanks for the advice.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Cinema 4D Is Pretty Good, although I have nothing to compare it to, it's apparently very good for game design

NURBS make modelling very easy, And HyperNURBS are pretty cool, they turn all vertices into rounded fillets

so you draw this:

And it turns in to this:

Nice for character design and have custom subdivision, so can be simplified for using in games.

Andrew
  • Reply 13 of 18
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Ah, very nice. I must get me some books and learn it properly...
  • Reply 14 of 18
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by cooop:

<strong>Well, it doesn't look like AcademicSuperstore offers student pricing for Vectorworks,</strong><hr></blockquote>

cooop: If you're (going to be) an architect, you really should consider VectorWorks more seriously. I'm almost certain that Academic Superstore sells VW at the academic price. I bought VW 9 there last year (or was it 2001?) for $85, which is a great price by any measure, even compared to academic pricing for other CAD products. Give them a call.

Escher
  • Reply 15 of 18
    tboxmantboxman Posts: 72member
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>

cooop: If you're (going to be) an architect, you really should consider VectorWorks more seriously. I'm almost certain that Academic Superstore sells VW at the academic price. I bought VW 9 there last year (or was it 2001?) for $85, which is a great price by any measure, even compared to academic pricing for other CAD products. Give them a call.

Escher</strong><hr></blockquote>

Personally I would avoid VectorWorks. I'm using it daily for architecture, and while it is a nice drafting package, I much prefer ArchiCAD. It was designed as an architectural modeler which can also produce the working drawings. The model is integral to the CDs. In VectorWorks, the model is extra and the CDs still have to be drafted. It's like an expensive electronic pencil. Well, at least that's how we use it here in this office.

I would also highly recommend formZ for architectural modeling. However, producing CDs with formZ is not recommended.

For rendering and animation, I would also suggest Electric Image. It can render large scenes blazingly fast. It can take high polygon scenes and output them much faster than other packages can. But it isn't a mainstream application, so if you are looking to work at an animation house, it won't do you much good on your resume.

As an aside, have never understood why people talk about NURBS and architectural modeling in the same breath. Architecture is almost exclusively polygonal, as most building materials are rectilinear. Only when modeling furniture and people do you need a NURBS modeler. That is, unless you work for Frank Gehry.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Tery
  • Reply 16 of 18
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    [quote]Personally I would avoid VectorWorks. I'm using it daily for architecture, and while it is a nice drafting package, I much prefer ArchiCAD.<hr></blockquote>ArchiCAD is also about 5 times more expensive than Vectorworks. At $3500 a seat its not an option for most people.

[quote]As an aside, have never understood why people talk about NURBS and architectural modeling in the same breath. Architecture is almost exclusively polygonal, as most building materials are rectilinear. Only when modeling furniture and people do you need a NURBS modeler. That is, unless you work for Frank Gehry.<hr></blockquote>Guess you didn't go to Columbia for grad school. Architecture hasn't been exclusively polygonal for some time now.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    mac gurumac guru Posts: 367member
    Hey SquidThing, can you post a link to that model? That's super cool.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 18 of 18
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Lightwave uses MetaNURBS. The example SquidThing put up looks alot like metanurbs. Does Maya use pure NURBS?

I use LW on a daily basis. When I get my 970 later this year, I'm going to get Maya. I will be needing it for my Masters program so, this will be a head start.

The LW interface has it's roots in the Amiga. It is straight foward, but can take some getting used to. Once you do, it is a very powerful program.