imac and macbook pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi guys,

for all those people who have their experiance in imac and macbook pro ...

i need u to help me in making my decision

am on buying imac or macbook pro computer and i still don't know whats the best for me

whats the best performance ( imac or macbook pro ) ?

and mackbook pro is it a normal laptop or it's holding MAC specifications

really worry and i don't know whats the best..

am waiting for ur reply guys

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Main differences are:
    • MacBook Pros come with a better graphics card.

• The iMacs can have bigger hard drives.

• The 24" iMac has the option of a faster 2.8GHz CPU.

• The MacBook Pros come with laptop specific features like backlit keyboards, motion sensors, etc.

Otherwise, you'll find that they are remarkably similar. Compare differences for yourself on these pages:

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urmaster View Post

for all those people who have their experiance in imac and macbook pro ...

iMacs are laptops without the benefits of a laptop. They are cheaper but for the extra money you get the portability and the option of a matte display with a MBP.

Quote:

am on buying imac or macbook pro computer and i still don't know whats the best for me

It probably comes down to budget. The iMac is cheaper but you get less of a computer. The MBP will depreciate less too.

Quote:

whats the best performance ( imac or macbook pro ) ?

The MBP GPU is better but the iMac has a 7200 rpm drive as opposed to a 5400 rpm drive. If you get a 7200 rpm drive in the MBP then it'll be faster overall.

Quote:

and mackbook pro is it a normal laptop or it's holding MAC specifications

Not sure what you mean here. It's not a normal PC with PC parts.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    How do you plan to use your computer and what apps will you use?

This will help you decide. If you are a student and need to take your computer with you then a MBP (MB?) would be the way to go. If you don't need portability then the iMac is a fine choice if you don't mind the glossy screen. YMMV, some people have a strong dislike of Apple's glossy screens on the iMac.

You can get an external monitor for a MBP but the cost of the MBP and monitor will be significantly higher than the iMac. But then you get the best of both.

Once you decide whether you need a laptop or desktop the decisions get easier. You might find you only need a Macbook and may have money left over for an external monitor.