Starbucks to give away 50M free iTunes downloads

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Starbucks announced Monday that it plans to give away 50 million songs to customers of its U.S. coffee shops to promote its new iTunes wireless service that's set to debut next month in select markets.

From October 2 to November 7, more than 10,000 Starbucks locations will hand out approximately 1.5 million "Song of the Day" cards redeemable on the iTunes Store. Upon receiving the cards, customers will have until the end of the calendar year to redeem the song.

The complimentary download cards will offer hand-picked songs from top artists including Bob Dylan, Joss Stone, Dave Matthews, Bebel Gilberto, John Mayer, KT Tunstall, John Legend, Annie Lennox, Joni Mitchell, Keith Urban and Paul McCartney plus music from up-and-coming artists such as Sia, Band of Horses, Hilary McRae, Frederico Aubele and Sara Bareilles.

The promotion aims to celebrate the coffee house's new "Now Playing" feature, which will allow customers using the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store at Starbucks to instantly preview, buy, and download the music currently playing overhead.

Set to go live on October 2 in more than 600 Starbucks locations in New York and Seattle, the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store will expand to 350 Starbucks stores in the San Francisco Bay area in early November; 500 stores in Los Angeles in early February 2008; 300 stores in Chicago in March 2008; and additional markets throughout the U.S. later in 2008.

"This is a landmark moment for Starbucks," said Ken Lombard, president of Starbucks Entertainment. "With the launch of the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store at Starbucks we can now provide the same classic coffeehouse experience and compelling music offerings our customers have come to expect from us through a new platform ideal for the digital music consumer."

Also beginning October 2, Starbucks company-operated locations in the U.S. will offer iTunes Digital Release Cards for sale, including KT Tunstall?s "Drastic Fantastic" with bonus music videos, digital booklet and a behind-the-scenes documentary video, and music from the film "Into the Wild," featuring all new songs from Eddie Vedder with bonus tracks and digital booklet.

Each iTunes Digital Release Card will contain a full album?s worth of music and feature collectible artwork. After the card is activated upon purchase at Starbucks, customers can download the album and bonus material on the iTunes Store for Mac or PC.

Starbucks will also offer the Starbucks Card Plus Two, a limited edition re-loadable Starbucks card with added bonus value. When a Starbucks Card Plus Two is registered online the cardholder will receive two complimentary song downloads of their choice on the U.S. iTunes Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Quote:

Each iTunes Digital Release Card will contain a full album?s worth of music and feature collectible artwork.

Interesting; but is this a gift card? Or a memory card? The word 'contain' threw me off..
  • Reply 2 of 28
    I wonder when Apple will change the iTunes WiFi Music Store to the iTunes WiFi/3G Music Store.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I predict Starbucks stores will be playing a lot of music from the following artists:
    Bob Dylan, Joss Stone, Dave Matthews, Bebel Gilberto, John Mayer, KT Tunstall, John Legend, Annie Lennox, Joni Mitchell, Keith Urban and Paul McCartney plus music from up-and-coming artists such as Sia, Band of Horses, Hilary McRae, Frederico Aubele and Sara Bareilles.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eh270 View Post

Interesting; but is this a gift card? Or a memory card? The word 'contain' threw me off..

I think it should be "allow".
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Remember folks, that "Song of the Day" promo is for ALL U.S. Starbuck locations. So get out there and get your Brazillian Blend Supremo Costa Rica Organic Gazebo Mocha Rift Decaf Tanzania Latte coffee with a hiint of cinnamon and pumpkin spices and....

From Yahoo News... "Starbucks Corp. plans to give away 50 million free digital songs to customers in all of its domestic coffee houses to promote a new wireless iTunes music service that's about to debut in select markets."

link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070924/...XNq3AC3eGs0NUE
  • Reply 5 of 28
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Hey Startbucks, when you get to my neck of the woods, will you have the same "Song of the Day" promo too?

You must really live in the woods to not be near a Starbucks.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Honestly, I hope they forget to give me a card if I so happen to wonder into a starbucks and purchase a beverage. None of those artists really sound appealing to my ears. Oh well...try again starbucks...but next time don't limit the choices!
  • Reply 7 of 28
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    I already gave Apple hundreds of dollars not to be hit with more spam.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I predict Starbucks stores will be playing a lot of music from the following artists:
    Bob Dylan, Joss Stone, Dave Matthews, Bebel Gilberto, John Mayer, KT Tunstall, John Legend, Annie Lennox, Joni Mitchell, Keith Urban and Paul McCartney plus music from up-and-coming artists such as Sia, Band of Horses, Hilary McRae, Frederico Aubele and Sara Bareilles.

I really don't get the connection. Is this good? Bad? Or you think these are Steve's favorites?
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Who pays for the 50M? Only Starbucks?
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I really don't get the connection. Is this good? Bad? Or you think these are Steve's favorites?

I think these are ones that Starbucks and Apple makes the most money on from the recording studios, so if these are what they are giving away then I predict Starbucks will be playing more of these tracks than others.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Don't most of them either sell their albums at Starbucks or release music on the new Starbucks label?
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't millions of Napster/Post-Napster computer users already figured out how to get free music without a $6 cup of coffee and a trip out of thier parents basement?
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Starbucks announced Monday that it plans to give away 50 million songs to customers of its U.S. coffee shops to promote its new iTunes wireless service that's set to debut next month in select markets.

Yes, but Panera Bread has WiFI for free. Sorry Starbucks. Panera still has my business.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:

They may have Starbucks but not all Starbucks have WiFi. For that matter, not WiFi Starbucks will be iTunes enabled until 2009.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    okay, let me see if i can help clear up some questions. I work at starbucks, so we kinda have a little bit more clear info on what all is going down.

first, the digital download cards (KT Tungstall was used as an example) are basically little postcard sized things with a barcode on them, and you buy it for like $14, and then you take that card home and enter the code, and you can download the album, plus about an albums worth of extra stuff you wouldn't be able to get otherwise (music videos, live performances, acoustic versions, etc.) nothing too exciting, but if you're a big fan of whatever artist, then.. maybe it is. haha

as for the songs given away each day, same thing basically, you get a card with a code to enter into itunes. the difference is that they're handing them out for free, and they're good for one specific song.

The song choices are from the CDs that Starbucks is already promoting in their stores nationwide. This just sorta gives them a new way to promote starbucks' music through iTunes. Convenient, but not much else.

Then finally, the "Starbucks Card Plus Two" is just like the current Starbucks gift cards (except its got a nice little music related design on it so you know its a music one) and when you get it, if you register the card on the Starbucks website (also an option with the current gift cards, but nobody ever really does it) they will e-mail you a code to enter into iTunes to use for two free downloads, and these two are ANY song of your choice (sorta like the pepsi caps a while back).

Hope that helps. Hit me up with any questions.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Restalot View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't millions of Napster/Post-Napster computer users already figured out how to get free music without a $6 cup of coffee and a trip out of thier parents basement?

Yeah, this is more for the people who like to get stuff for free, but legally.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    There's an elephant in the room and I'm not sure if he's been addressed ..... will Starbucks be including free wi-fi access beyond *just* their own Wi-Fi store?
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moggy View Post

There's an elephant in the room and I'm not sure if he's been addressed ..... will Starbucks be including free wi-fi access beyond *just* their own Wi-Fi store?

I doubt it - I don't think tmobile would like that too much. I also noticed in Starbucks NY stores that they've put flat screen monitors that show the current song playing with a coverflow style picture...
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonessodarally View Post

okay, let me see if i can help clear up some questions. I work at starbucks, so we kinda have a little bit more clear info on what all is going down.

first, the digital download cards (KT Tungstall was used as an example) are basically little postcard sized things with a barcode on them, and you buy it for like $14, and then you take that card home and enter the code, and you can download the album, plus about an albums worth of extra stuff you wouldn't be able to get otherwise (music videos, live performances, acoustic versions, etc.) nothing too exciting, but if you're a big fan of whatever artist, then.. maybe it is. haha

as for the songs given away each day, same thing basically, you get a card with a code to enter into itunes. the difference is that they're handing them out for free, and they're good for one specific song.

The song choices are from the CDs that Starbucks is already promoting in their stores nationwide. This just sorta gives them a new way to promote starbucks' music through iTunes. Convenient, but not much else.

Then finally, the "Starbucks Card Plus Two" is just like the current Starbucks gift cards (except its got a nice little music related design on it so you know its a music one) and when you get it, if you register the card on the Starbucks website (also an option with the current gift cards, but nobody ever really does it) they will e-mail you a code to enter into iTunes to use for two free downloads, and these two are ANY song of your choice (sorta like the pepsi caps a while back).

Hope that helps. Hit me up with any questions.

Guess that clears that up. Thanks for filling in the blank spots.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:

Misinterpretted AI's report... Sorry... thought the free iTunes Song of the Day giveaway was only in New York and Seatle?!

For a minute, I felt like a Canadian, a la iPhone announcements!

That's why I self delete and changed my comments.

Not too far out in the sticks, have a Starbucks just 5 minutes up the road.