16 GB iPhone?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Anyone have any idea when a 16 Gb iPhone will be available in Europe and the USA.

Given that the iPod Touch already has 16 GB of memory, it can only be a matter of time before Apple upgrades the existing line-up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Anyone have any idea when a 16 Gb iPhone will be available in Europe and the USA.

Given that the iPod Touch already has 16 GB of memory, it can only be a matter of time before Apple upgrades the existing line-up.

maybe when it also gets 3G and/or gps? whenever that maybe
  • Reply 2 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

maybe when it also gets 3G and/or gps? whenever that maybe

No, I'd bet we'll see 16GB far before 3G. We'll probably see 16GB before February I think, and possibly even before Christmas.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    I'm holding out hope for a 16GB version on Nov 9th.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No, I'd bet we'll see 16GB far before 3G. We'll probably see 16GB before February I think, and possibly even before Christmas.

fair point, could even be when they release leopard in october, if the date still stands, as this would generate even more hype around apple.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    If Apple added some critical features (Search, voice dialing, 3G, Louder Tones, added ringtone for text messages, and some others, I would gladly sell my current 8Gig for the 16 as I have used up the capacity for the 8.... Count me in if the Upgrades are impressive and the 16 hits!
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tutumiles1 View Post

If Apple added some critical features (Search, voice dialing, 3G, Louder Tones, added ringtone for text messages, and some others, I would gladly sell my current 8Gig for the 16 as I have used up the capacity for the 8.... Count me in if the Upgrades are impressive and the 16 hits!

Apple has made it clear that at least for the first 24 months software updates apply to all iPhones. Therefore 3G is the only one of those features that would not also apply to older iPhones.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    There will be no 3G until Jan-July 2009 or until AT&T gets it ready. Remember that Apple and AT&T have a 5-year contract!

There may be a 16GB model around Jan-Jul 2008. I wouldn't expect one sooner.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

There will be no 3G until Jan-July 2009 or until AT&T gets it ready. Remember that Apple and AT&T have a 5-year contract!

I believe it will be around October of 2008 that we will see the 2nd generation iPhone with 3G. Just a hunch.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

I believe it will be around October of 2008 that we will see the 2nd generation iPhone with 3G. Just a hunch.

I don't know about that. I think Apple are aware how much the small storage factor of the iPhone is stopping many from buying one, and it would be a way for Apple to take more of more peoples money. I wouldn't be too surprised to see a 16GB iPhone announced at Macworld.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't know about that. I think Apple are aware how much the small storage factor of the iPhone is stopping many from buying one, and it would be a way for Apple to take more of more peoples money. I wouldn't be too surprised to see a 16GB iPhone announced at Macworld.

A simple storage increase would not warrant being called the 2nd generation iPhone by any means. They could update the storage at Macworld and then release the 2nd Gen iPhone in October 2008.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    So we have 16GB flash drives available for general OEMs; what's the next step for these? Does anyone have a somewhat working model of release dates from Toshiba/Hitachi/whomever and subsequent usage by Apple?

That would probably give us a really good idea of when Apple will release upgraded-capacity models.

Same for me; it's holding my purchase back (would love to give up the iPod for one device).
  • Reply 12 of 22
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Both Toshiba and Samsung will begin mass production of their 16 GB flash packages in the 4Q of 2007. Mass production on the order of 1 million per month for each. Apple can presumably monopolize that if they update the iPhone to 16 GB and iPod touch to 32 GB in 1Q 2008.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

A simple storage increase would not warrant being called the 2nd generation iPhone by any means. They could update the storage at Macworld and then release the 2nd Gen iPhone in October 2008.

I never said it would.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Care to site that particular bit of detail? All Apple and At&T have said is that they are on a "multiyear" exclusive contract in the US. Neither party has given any details.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    16gb iPhone, that's the major reason why I am waiting to buy one. I hope prior to Christmas.

As for the 2G iPhone, I would expect it around middle of next year.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Quote:

WHAT?! Please post where you got that info on the contract duration. I have just read 'multiyear'. To me that means a minimum of 2 years. Just did a google search and I could not find any additional details on the length of the contract.

I cant see Apple entering into a 5-yr contract. Its a lifetime in the world of technology. IT would be stupid to peg the growth of your product to the development of the AT&T network capabilities for that long. Features like 3G would be dependent of AT&T!

My guess was 2 years. Thats enough time for Apple to sell a bunch of iphones and develop the product. Then after 2 years, BOOM! Unlocked versions are open to all GSM networks across the world. By that time 3G will be everywhere and we'll have a nice fat 64GB iphone will hundreds of developers on board to write apps (if Apple waits until then to allow them). New users (like me) will jump on it, and old users will be pissed, but happy to upgrade.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

WHAT?! Please post where you got that info on the contract duration.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireles...t-iphone_N.htm

Quote:

AT&T has exclusive U.S. distribution rights for five years ? an eternity in the go-go cellphone world. And Apple is barred for that time from developing a version of the iPhone for CDMA wireless networks.

• Reply 18 of 22
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member

Wow. Thanks for that link. I wonder what AT&Ts performance agreements are. Must be pretty stringent.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

Both Toshiba and Samsung will begin mass production of their 16 GB flash packages in the 4Q of 2007. Mass production on the order of 1 million per month for each. Apple can presumably monopolize that if they update the iPhone to 16 GB and iPod touch to 32 GB in 1Q 2008.

Thank you, THT. I am waiting for 16Gig before purchasing. It does seem to me, that if Toshiba and Samsung are starting production in October, that it is entirely possible that Apple will offer new Iphone with 16gig before Christmas. It has been widely reported that Apple has first dibs on flash memory for several years, is this not true?

This question is important to me, as I would like an iphone ASAP, and if it will be next year before 16Gig, I would prefer to buy one tomorrow.

steven
  • Reply 20 of 22
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by montefuego View Post

Thank you, THT. I am waiting for 16Gig before purchasing. It does seem to me, that if Toshiba and Samsung are starting production in October, that it is entirely possible that Apple will offer new Iphone with 16gig before Christmas. It has been widely reported that Apple has first dibs on flash memory for several years, is this not true?

Apple has existing contracts worth a whole lot of flash chips all the way out 2 or 3 years. Appleinsider has a report from 6 months ago:

Apple scrambling to secure more NAND flash ahead of iPhone

They were to trying to acquire ~500m 4 Gbit flash chips for 2H 07. Doing some simple math: an 8 GByte package (as seen in the iPod nano, iPod touch, and iPhone) represents 16 of those 4 Gbit flash chips. Assuming all of the packages are of the 8 GByte variety, Apple would have ~30m of them in their hands for 2H 07. Historical trends indicate that about ~30m iPods and iPhones will be sold, so if all goes right in 4Q 07, ie, Apple sells 25m iPod shuffles, nanos, touchs (and classics) and ~1.5-2m iPhones. A major fraction of them obviously goes into 1 GB shuffles, with a lot of them going in 4 GB nanos, but perhaps the iPod touch makes up for some of that since it has 2 of the flash packages inside. I think Apple has a supply constraint, and won't be putting that supply in danger with a 16 GB iPhone.

I'm sure they have first dibs on the 16 GByte packages, but I don't think Apple would be shipping an iPod or iPhone with them until at least 1Q 08. And 4Q 07 doesn't mean October. It could mean October, November or December.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by montefuego View Post

This question is important to me, as I would like an iphone ASAP, and if it will be next year before 16Gig, I would prefer to buy one tomorrow.

I wouldn't rely on major spending decisions based off of people's opinions on the Internet. If you want to live on the cutting edge, you have to pay for it one way or the other. I'm waiting for at least 16 GB period. Well, 3G period. So, it'll come when it comes.