Mouse pointer flys off screen

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I own a new iMac, 20", and I run Pro Tools application with it. However, this problem happens anytime I use the mouse. Also, I do have a non glare mouse pad. The problem is that I'll be working, and the mouse pointer will shoot off screen for no apparent reason. Could this be a cleaning problem? Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    If it actually goes off the screen rather than stopping at the edge, that usually means you have another monitor plugged in, or at least the system thinks that you do.

If that's not it, try another mouse.

If the other mouse does it, look at the Displays preference pane to see if it thinks there are two monitors.

If so, move the file com.apple.windowserver.plist, located in the main /Library/Preferences folder (not the Library folder in your Home directory), to the Desktop and logout and in again.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If your mouse cursor flies up to the top left corner I've noticed this before. It's a bug I've reported a few times.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

If it actually goes off the screen rather than stopping at the edge, that usually means you have another monitor plugged in, or at least the system thinks that you do.

If that's not it, try another mouse.

If the other mouse does it, look at the Displays preference pane to see if it thinks there are two monitors.

If so, move the file com.apple.windowserver.plist, located in the main /Library/Preferences folder (not the Library folder in your Home directory), to the Desktop and logout and in again.

It usually goes to the side edge of the screen, or into a corner. Is there another mouse you'd recommend? Or, should I report this to Apple, and get them to send me a new mouse? Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Optical mice on dark surfaces can exhibit this problem.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Yeah, I really think it just has to do with the surface that you have the mouse on. Try using a different mouse pad or even just use it on the desk top, that might help you out.. and make sure that you keep the bottom of the mouse clean as well as your surface that you are using the mouse on
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I've noticed this happening with the MBP I recently bought. It doesn't matter whether I'm using the trackpad or the new USB Mighty Mouse I bought, but the mouse cursor will "snap" to the nearest corner at random times. It can get annoying, especially when it snaps to the corner I have allocated to activate the screensaver.

I'm guessing as Ireland has said, that it's a bug since it happens to me whether I'm using the trackpad or Mighty Mouse.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mrblumrblu Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JPrime View Post

I've noticed this happening with the MBP I recently bought. It doesn't matter whether I'm using the trackpad or the new USB Mighty Mouse I bought, but the mouse cursor will "snap" to the nearest corner at random times. It can get annoying, especially when it snaps to the corner I have allocated to activate the screensaver.

I'm guessing as Ireland has said, that it's a bug since it happens to me whether I'm using the trackpad or Mighty Mouse.

Do Macs have a setting for mouse acceleration? On my dell, if my finger gets too close to the edge of the trackpad, the pad registers it as being in the edge zone, and accelerates the cursor to the edge of the screen in a flash. If it is off the left edge, the arrow is mostly visible, but if it goes to the right, only the edge of the arrow - just a line - is visible, and you have to look for it.

Just a thought...