Wireless on a Macbook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, I'm a bit slow when it comes to this whole wireless thing. Out of the box, will the Macbook connect to any wireless network (granted that you have one or are in a wireless hotspot)? Or is that a service you have to pay to have access to? My university has wireless access, so I was wondering if the Macbook would just detect that right away or what? If someone could tell me how that all works, that would be great.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    You may have to go to Computing Services at your school and get them to set you up on the network. At my school, you don't have to do this. The wireless is visible to anyone (though when you open your browser you get a page asking you to log-in to the network, for which you need your computing account ID). In any case, if you are a student (or faculty/staff) your access to your school's wireless will be free.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunesis View Post

Ok, I'm a bit slow when it comes to this whole wireless thing. Out of the box, will the Macbook connect to any wireless network (granted that you have one or are in a wireless hotspot)? Or is that a service you have to pay to have access to? My university has wireless access, so I was wondering if the Macbook would just detect that right away or what? If someone could tell me how that all works, that would be great.

It will detect it. You may (probably) will need to know and enter a password and then you're good to go. Very easy on the Mac.