DVR functionality

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My goal is to be able to record and archive any content that I'm currently paying comcast to send to my house. This includes some ridiculous number of digital cable channels as well as about 20 HD channels.

1. Elgato EyeTV Hybrid

Pros: Great for ATSC HD, When coupled with an AppleTV will allow for a great solution.

Cons: No way to record most digital cable stations.

2. Tivo Series 2

Pros: TivoToGo allows archival of all recorded content, Great Tivo UI

Cons: No HD support

3. Tivo Series 3

Pros: HD Support

Cons: No way to get media off of it without a hack. (Not that I'm not technically inclined, I just want a solution that's clean and easy to use.)

4. Elgato HD Home Run

Pros: Can receive ATSC HD content OR Clear QAM digital (not both from what I understand)

Cons: Clear QAM digital seems to be basically worthless here in the states so this is basically the EyeTV Hybrid with networking functionality. (I state that it's worthless due to the fact that most digital cable stations are encrypted.)

So, there it is, I've exhausted all options that I know of and the only thing that comes moderately close would be the Tivo Series 2 AND an EyeTV Hybrid, giving me the ability to store all of the digital cable stations and any broadcast HD stations but I hate the idea of having to have both of these things going at once. This means that I would also need an AppleTV in order to play all of my archived content. Note that this solution wouldn't let me archive any cable HD stations like ESPN, etc. and it is also a little cost prohibitive due to all of the hardware necessary.

Any ideas? I'm hoping that I've missed the boat completely and that there is a better solution out there.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    You've got all the options correctly listed, and you are correct that as of today there is no way to do it. There is a sample FireWire utility in the FireWire SDK in the Developer Tools, but I forget exactly if it can take the decoded signal.

Anyway, the good answer is that according to TiVo, TiVo To Go for the Series 3/TiVo HD will be released in November.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    comcarp is moveing to SDV and the TIVO / cablecards can't use that right now.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

comcarp is moveing to SDV and the TIVO / cablecards can't use that right now.

What's SDV and where do you find out information like that? I'm actually moving to another part of the country soon that has TimeWarner cable as well as, I think, FiOS from Verizon. So I'll be wanting to do some more research to make sure that I'm not investing in obsolete technology.

I've been waiting for an optimal solution to this problem for about the last 15 months but must have missed the engadget post about TiVoToGo and the Series 3.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Ignore what Joe12345678 says. TiVo has said that they will have a device that attaches to the back of the CableCARD and allows 2-way communication and will allow watching systems like Comcast that move to SDV. This solution was approved by the relevant authorities in August.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Also, you can read everything you want to know, and more, about this at the TiVo Community Forums

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=357703