Is there any real difference between these Macbooks?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a first generation black Macbook. 2GHz Intel Core Duo with 2gig of RAM. I have a opportunity to pick up a brand new Macbook (the black model) for a good price and I can sell the old one.

The questions are will I notice and difference? Is the RAM the same? Can I just swap hard drives and go? I am not a heavy user, just normal web, email, some photoshop, etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I don't see how upgrading from Core Duo to Core 2 Duo would be of any advantage to you. I'm pretty sure you answered your own question when you wrote "I'm not a heavy user, just normal web, email, some photoshop, etc."

I'm new to Macs but I know that if you were to swap out the hard drives from a Core Duo PC to a Core 2 Duo PC Windows wouldn't run as it would notice a different chipset.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    The newer MacBook has 802.11n and a 64-bit processor.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreggWSmith View Post

The questions are will I notice and difference? Is the RAM the same? Can I just swap hard drives and go?

You will notice some performance improvements (thanks to faster clocked 64-bit Core 2 Duo CPU), 802.11n Wi-Fi, dual-layer DVD burner, larger hard disk (160 GB vs. 120 GB), larger standard RAM (1 GB vs. 512 MB), and 3.3 GB RAM capacity (through two 2 GB SO-DIMMs).

RAM is the same.

Instead of swapping the hard disk (since you will lose 40 GB, I don't see why you would want to), use the Migration Assistant via FireWire cable.