External HD Partition Crash

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi Guys,

I started using a 250 gig Lacie FA Porche USB 2.0 Hard Drive 2.5 weeks ago. I work on a G5. I have seen a lot of LaCie's go down in what I do (I'm a video editor), but the drive was chosen for me and I didn't really have a say in what type of drive I was getting.

When I first got the drive I formatted it off the bat for OS Extended (Journaled). Anyhow, about a week into the drive use it starts acting oddly. I would look in the folders within the drive and the drive would say there was nothing there, even though I knew that 20 gigs of information were in these folders. Later on it started clicking and getting rather toasty. It would crash when capturing video and be a general pain. There are no fans inside these drives..which I think was the eventual cause of it's demise. Friday the drive was being a pain so I reformatted it and partitioned it into 2 halves. I came back Monday and one of the halves failed to mount on the desktop. It was gone.

The information is replaceable, but Lacie is giving me the run around in terms of returning it. They said that if I reformat the drive that it will be fine. Can you guys tell me if this is true or false? I don't want to load all my stuff back onto it and then have it crash again. Thanks. I'm running OSX 10.4.10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    the first quick-fix for harddrives is allways formating the bugger.

but your problem occured after formating the drive.

sounds like hardware to me.

-get your data off the drive

-if your problem isn't permanently - make it permanently (easier for you and the tech-guy who has to inspect it)

-bring it in for exchange

lacie d2 sucks!

we had loads of defective d2 drives