The "Go Me!" Thread

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Just because I feel the need to balance my karma (see the rant thread), I thought I'd start a thread where people could give a bit of a shout out to themselves for something cool they've done.

Toot your own horn.

Like this:

I spent last year putting together a program for at-risk, first-generation, low-income students to come to the uni where I work, get any remedial courses they need for free, live in the dorms for free, get free food, and get free books. I put together a team of folks from all over the university, and we put together a very nice little "bridge" program. We thought we'd be doing good to get 15 kids.

We got 80. And of those 80, 70 have stuck with it so far. If they all stay with it, they'll all be mainstreamed into the general population of students by the end of Spring '08.

So. What are you proud of, lately?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    I am proud of midwinter!

Fellows
  • Reply 2 of 22
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I'm attending law school for free. Go me!
  • Reply 3 of 22
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I'm attending law school for free. Go me!

Michigan State?

I got into there.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Michigan State?

I got into there.

Yeah. I'm still working (although I won't be on Monday if state government shuts down) so I am going part-time (8 credits) at the moment.

My master plan is to work and go to school for the first two years (I like my job), and then transition to full-time, graduating in December 2010.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I'm getting married on December 1st.

Congratulations! I hope you and your wife will be very happy.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Outstanding. Outdoor or indoor wedding? I don't know what the weather is like in Hong Kong in December.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Congrats!

Nick
  • Reply 8 of 22
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I got a e-mail after one of my concerts last May...the most glowing thing I've ever seen. It went on and on (CC'd to my principal). It even went so far as to say there was a neighborhood BBQ where I was the central subject...how I "inspired not only the kids, but the whole community as well." I was just astounded. Never seen anything like it. Go me.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Yes, the Giants DB's are awful, and their linebackers can't cover either. If Westbrook can go, I expect another big day for him receiving at least.

Although I think another 110/110 is probably too much to hope for!

Tough game for GB this week, as the last 9 MN/GB games have all been decided by 2-6 points. Although I have a hard believing MN can't put many points on the board with their lack of a QB and WRs. GB should be able to win, but there's a reason the all time series is even. A MN win certainly wouldn't shock me.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Yes, the Giants DB's are awful, and their linebackers can't cover either. If Westbrook can go, I expect another big day for him receiving at least.

Although I think another 110/110 is probably too much to hope for!

Tough game for GB this week, as the last 9 MN/GB games have all been decided by 2-6 points. Although I have a hard believing MN can't put many points on the board with their lack of a QB and WRs. GB should be able to win, but there's a reason the all time series is even. A MN win certainly wouldn't shock me.

I can tell when someone has posted in the wrong thread! Go me! Now go, you, back to the Eagles thread.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I can tell when someone has posted in the wrong thread! Go me! Now go, you, back to the Eagles thread.

I have no idea how the hell that happened.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    I ran a 18:13 5K last Thursday and then on Monday I placed 3rd in our conference (cross country).

And also on the subject of running, I ran a 1:30:15 half marathon today which averages out to 6:54 miles (13.1). What's even more impressive though is that I ran a 7:09 (ish) pace for the first 9.4 miles or so... resulting in the last 3.7 miles to be at like 6:12!! Won first in my age group (15-19)

Also I met Woz! (see pic in gen discussion thread)
  • Reply 13 of 22
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I am successfully running Sega Rally on my PC successfully overclocked to 2.55ghz CPU, 650+mhz GPU (see signature). w000t
  • Reply 14 of 22
    I got into the Illinois Math and Science Acadamy last year and I currently go there! It's a 3 year residential highschool, and it's the 3rd best school in the country. About 250 out of the 1000 that applied actually got in.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I've just bought my first house. I move in on Thursday!
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I just ordered a Bamboo Fun Wacom tablet. I will finally be able to use my computer as an artist's creative tool instead of trolling on AppleInsider's forums!

Yay Me!
  • Reply 17 of 22
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The kids baseball and soccer seasons are ending next week. Yay Me!!!

The leaves are falling. Whoa is me!!!
  • Reply 18 of 22
    I trimmed my toenails! Go capitalism!
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Those Bamboos look cool, Artman. Congrats, tonton!

I'm heading to India to teach 3D graphics for a year. Before that I worked at EA on Skate! Straight out of (3D) school! w00t!
  • Reply 20 of 22
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I am successfully running Sega Rally on my PC successfully overclocked to 2.55ghz CPU, 650+mhz GPU (see signature). w000t

Cool game, shame about the lack of tracks imo. But after playing dirt, sega rally comes as a breath of fresh air. Dirt is too much of a simulation, its incredibly hard for someone to get into who only has a few hours a week to play games.

Sega Rally is as easy to pick up as it was in the arcades, but it takes alot of skill to get it right. Having downloaded a few human ghost cars from the online server, im like how the hell did they go that fast????

Hopefully, there will be some new tracks to download soon, and Sega Racing Studios produce state of the art versions of a few more of their old classics, like OutRun.

I'd also love to see Space Harrier 2008! but they got to keep the original soundtrack.

Hopefully NFS Prodrive lives up to its promise.