Am I the only one

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Am I the only one not that impressed with the much anticpated update? I do not mean to be an ingrate but here is my view.

1. The double tap on the home button is excellent.

2. The iTune feature is simply another revenue opportunity

3. Thrasing all 3 party apps was horrible. We own this mobil computer and should be able to do with it whatever e desire.

4. TV out, nice feature but not even in the top 10 of most pressing needs (or wants)

5. Security features - always nice but I consider these bug fixes

6. volume - can't hear the difference. 1db ? you must be kidding.

7. Ability to view email attachment in landscape - excellent!!

8. Edge adjustment - Simply keep it on Airplane mode if international and you decide to kno be pillaged by ATT for costs.

I contrast this with the need (my wants) for the following:

1. Voice Dial - (I view as critical when driving. (Lets face it, we all make or receive calls hile driving)

2. Multi-emaill delete capability (or a spam filter)

3. Search feature in contacts. (I use phone for business and have 3,000 contacts, all of which I do not know well or always remember last names. This renders contact almost useless if you only remember the first name or the business name)

4. Workable task & To do lists with loud alerts.

5. Text message - louder alerts so can hear them in the first place

6. Ringtones - being another revenue source for ringtones is not going to happen so stop punishing the 3rd party applications. I own the damn music already which I paid for once!!!!

Again, I am happy to see the minor improvements but I am disappointed in the upgrades! (Just being honest)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    1. Sorry for the typo on point (3) the e should be we

2. On point 8 it should be "decide to not be pillaged"

on second 1. should be "while" instead of hile

Sorry for the lame typing ability
  • Reply 2 of 34
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    i miss voice dial, too.

and i allways made my own ringtones (with my cell-phones) and don't want to pay for them now...
  • Reply 3 of 34
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    C'mon apple release an SDK for the iphone.

I had a few good 3rd party apps that I installed and liked. It didn't ruin my iphone experience or my service.

This "we won't let you use your hardware is short sighted and detrimental to your business in the long run."

I now have a nifty wifitunes button but 1/2 of the functionality I had yesterday.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    As a multi media device, the iPhone is without peer! As a phone it is average for even low wend phones. As a PDA it gets a C-. As a email device, it gets a B. With reasoned discussions from the user community, I hope Apple will fine tune into a better total device. It is a lofty goal and I understand the challenges but it should be attempted none of the less.

As I have said before, I am pulling for them. I also think they need to be a lot less paternal concerning 3rd party apps that we add on our own. One of the attractions to Pocket PC devices is the wide ranging 3rd party apps. While Apple has been through this debate before, it is leaving a lot of business on the table by not hearing!
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Yes you are.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tutumiles1 View Post

1. Voice Dial - (I view as critical when driving. (Lets face it, we all make or receive calls hile driving)

I think it's silly to assume that's a lot safer. It doesn't matter how the conversation is handled (hand held or hands-free), talking on the phone while driving is as risky or almost as risky from driving drunk.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think it's silly to assume that's a lot safer. It doesn't matter how the conversation is handled (hand held or hands-free), talking on the phone while driving is as risky or almost as risky from driving drunk.

No need to assume. Any kind of distraction from the act of driving will increase the risk of an accident. It's pretty much proven through studies.

Voice dialing makes one no safer than talking on the cell phone while driving. It's the same thing. Dialing a number with the hand is probably no different than operating the car stereo system, messing around with the HVAC controls, looking at your speedometer and tachometer, or any the other myriad of activities while driving.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tutumiles1 View Post

Am I the only one not that impressed with the much anticpated update? I do not mean to be an ingrate but here is my view.

The hype-meter on the iPhone is pretty big. It's no surprise that updates are below expectations.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tutumiles1

3. Thrasing all 3 party apps was horrible. We own this mobil computer and should be able to do with it whatever e desire.

Unfortunately, you are not dealing with hardware, you're dealing with software. And as we all know, all software is effectively rented. We're given a license for use per the terms of the license agreement. We don't own it.

I'd love it if the iPhone was actually an OS X computer, but it's not. It's an iPod-phone-web communicator device, not a computer, at least not yet. The only way to solve the problem is to not buy the product.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tutumiles1

2. Multi-emaill delete capability (or a spam filter)

3. Search feature in contacts. (I use phone for business and have 3,000 contacts, all of which I do not know well or always remember last names. This renders contact almost useless if you only remember the first name or the business name)

4. Workable task & To do lists with loud alerts.

5. Text message - louder alerts so can hear them in the first place

6. Ringtones - being another revenue source for ringtones is not going to happen so stop punishing the 3rd party applications. I own the damn music already which I paid for once!!!!

Again, I am happy to see the minor improvements but I am disappointed in the upgrades! (Just being honest)

Well, keep complaining. Actually complain to Apple, not to us.

There are a lot of things I'd like the iPhone to be, but I'll admit that it does 99% of what I would do with it. I'm still holding out for couple of things though. I'm right down the middle of the iPhone's market with always available web browsing, phone and iPod. Email, voice dialing, and all the other stuff, I don't care about.

There's a whole lot of tweaking and updating that Apple can do with the iPhone. A whole lot:

1. 4" 16:9 screen at 640x360 resolution. I think this can be done pretty easily. Make the iPhone Home button smaller like the iPod touch allowing for 0.25 inches of more screen and reduce the empty space by the speaker for 0.25 inches of more screen. And voila, 4 inch screen. Increase the DPI to 180 while you're at it.

2. 3G HSDPA (at least 1.5 Mbit/s capability)

3. 256 MB memory

4. 16+ GB flash storage or 80+ GB hard drive storage (two different models)

5. GPS

6. Make an OS X, general purpose computing system. This means SDK allowing or 3rd party apps

7. Support Flash content

8. Leopard like file browser (Coverflow based file-browsing)

9. Video recording

10. Games

11. Broadband modem / tethering

Well, that's a lot of tweaking and it'll take years to do. And Apple has politics to play (things like Flash, WMV, JAVA support et al) with some sort big overarching strategy that everyone is trying to figure out.

I'm definitely waiting for at least 3G GSM though.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'd like to interject here not to throw the OT way off course,

but what is up with all this no cellphone while driving advocacy all over the country as of late? I understand there's a portion of the population that would probably cause serious injury to themselves while walking and chewing bubble gum at the same time but this is ridiculous.

Cellphones have been around in mass since the early 90's and now 2 decades later the country decides to shun those who speak on phones while driving?

I don't want to sound like a heartless being here. I had a close friend a while back who lost his life in a car accident. He was changing a tape cassette on his car radio and tragedy happened.

That said, I change the radio in my car everyday while driving. If I get a phone call or need to make one I do that also. If I were in a tractor with CV radio I'd use that too, its a useful communication device. Do those things statistically increase my chances of becoming road splat? yes. but so does act of driving, that doesn't mean I'm not going to drive.

There's just way to much pampering in the US as of late and it sickness me when that pampering turns into reprehensible illegal activity. Not everyone is born incompetent.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

No need to assume. Any kind of distraction from the act of driving will increase the risk of an accident. It's pretty much proven through studies.

Voice dialing makes one no safer than talking on the cell phone while driving. It's the same thing. Dialing a number with the hand is probably no different than operating the car stereo system, messing around with the HVAC controls, looking at your speedometer and tachometer, or any the other myriad of activities while driving.

In Connecticut it's legal to talk on a hands-free device (earpiece, car speaker system), but it's illegal to hold the cell phone in your hand and dial the number. Even though studies show that people are still as distracted when talking via hands-free devices, one cannot wonder whether that distraction worsens during times of dialing. If there is a difference or not doesn't matter. At least in my state, one is legal (voice dialing) and the other is not (old-fashioned finger dialing).
  • Reply 11 of 34
    I appreciate all the feedback and it makes for interesting banter. One of the most amazing things I find from some of the responses if that lack of "true ownership" thinking concerning the phone. When I buy a product, I feel like I have the right to make a consumer opinion of its ability to deliver me the experience I expected. While the iPhone meets 80% of my needs, I would really like to see it improve. I am willing to pay for the improvements so i am not just bitching. Why can't the additional functions be available for sale. Think like iWork, iLife, etc, etc...

In this way, contributors to this blog could make suggestions that would allow those perfectly happy to stay "as is" and for those of us who want the phone to improve could buy additions...

As to comments on voice dialing made in previous responses, I challenge anyone to a test of what is more convenient or less distracting, hand dialing or voice dialing. I am not willing to give up the ability to use my phone because others cannot do so and drive at the same time. When I am driving in situations where there are not a lot of other cars around, and on almost empty roads, it is a perfect time to make calls. I use it responsively. There are situations where I would not use it, like driving in downtown areas of any major city during rush hour...
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Or...just Get A Car That Has The Ability To Voice Dial The Call/numbers For You!!
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rodneyA2 View Post

Or...just Get A Car That Has The Ability To Voice Dial The Call/numbers For You!!

buy you have to be in your car and i want to voice dial all the time.

And where is FLASH
  • Reply 14 of 34
    What I don't get is that everyone bought the phone with exactly what it had on it before and thought it was worth anywhere from $599 to $399 to get that way. There wasn't ever any expectation that there would be an SDK or third party aps because Apple was pretty clear that there wouldn't be any approved or supported third party aps. Apple has continued to develop their own software and offer new updates and features. No one has been forced to take any of those updates. You could chose not to. It's not as if Apple disables your phone if you don't accept their updates.

What I don't understand is why Apple is supposed to be responsible that people bought software from hackers in the first place and why they are supposed to be worrying about whether their updates work with people's hacked phones. Who told anyone to buy software from hackers anyway?
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

Cellphones have been around in mass since the early 90's and now 2 decades later the country decides to shun those who speak on phones while driving?

Drivers on Cell Phones Kill Thousands, Snarl Traffic

A new study confirms that the reaction time of cell phone users slows dramatically, increasing the risk of accidents and tying up traffic in general, and when young adults use cell phones while driving, they're as bad as sleepy septuagenarians.

Cell phone distraction causes 2,600 deaths and 330,000 injuries in the United States every year, according to the journal's publisher, the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society.

"If you put a 20-year-old driver behind the wheel with a cell phone, their reaction times are the same as a 70-year-old driver who is not using a cell phone," said University of Utah psychology professor David Strayer. "It's like instantly aging a large number of drivers."

Telephone numbers presented by automated voice systems compete for drivers' attention to a far greater extent than when the driver sees the same information presented on a display.

Interruptions to driving, such as answering a call, are likely to be more dangerous if they occur during maneuvers like merging to exit a freeway.

Things could get worse. Wireless Internet, speech recognition systems and e-mail could all be even more distracting.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Seriously, driving using a cell is still iresponsible, even if your use handsfree.

Dont you think that if something requires your eyes, feet, ears, and hands.. it might need your brain as well? A phone call can wait.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    gizmo-xlgizmo-xl Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iwonttell View Post

Seriously, driving using a cell is still iresponsible, even if your use handsfree.

Dont you think that if something requires your eyes, feet, ears, and hands.. it might need your brain as well? A phone call can wait.

So I guess you should not talk to others within your car while you drive also.....
  • Reply 18 of 34
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Driving is a privilege. No two ways about it. If you don't use that privilege responsibly then eventually you'll lose that privilege.

It's not rocket science to realize the operation of a machine capable of generating hundreds of thousands of pounds of force should not be taken casually.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    gizmo-xlgizmo-xl Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

Driving is a privilege. No two ways about it. If you don't use that privilege responsibly then eventually you'll lose that privilege.

It's not rocket science to realize the operation of a machine capable of generating hundreds of thousands of pounds of force should not be taken casually.

I agree and this is why the only talking I will do while driving is with a Bluetooth headset on and only on a inbound call because dialing an iphone while driving is not easy and should not be done.

It has two many steps that require you to look at the screen. Because of the touch screen you have no tactile feeling of buttons to trigger a speed dial operation like you do with other phones. The iPhone forces you to look at it's screen in order to dial a number and it is the only phone on the market that does so.

With the numbers of iPhone owners going up I am sure we are going to see more driving problems caused by the use of this phone while driving.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

I agree and this is why the only talking I will do while driving is with a Bluetooth headset on and only on a inbound call because dialing an iphone while driving is not easy and should not be done.

It has two many steps that require you to look at the screen. Because of the touch screen you have no tactile feeling of buttons to trigger a speed dial operation like you do with other phones. The iPhone forces you to look at it's screen in order to dial a number and it is the only phone on the market that does so.

With the numbers of iPhone owners going up I am sure we are going to see more driving problems caused by the use of this phone while driving.

You aren't getting it. While it doesn't help, it's not the dialing that's the core problem. The fact that you are talking on the phone at all is a significant distraction.

Study 1

Study 2