Shared Folder using Boot Camp

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I had to install Windows Vista on my MacBook Pro for my MBA program. Is there a way to set-up a shared folder so that I can access files from my Mac on Vista and vice-versa? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Not really. Your options are:

1. Get a program that allows Windows to read and write to the OSX partition. I'm not sure if there are any for Vista yet though. You still wouldn't be able to write to the Vista partition from OSX though.

2. Get an external drive, or if you want to take the shared space with you, get an Expresscard SD/MMC reader and a 2GB SD card or even a USB key. This is probably the best way to do it.

3. Set up your computer so that it has three partitions: one for OSX, one shared FAT32, one NTFS for Vista. This can be a bit of a pain though, and I really wouldn't recommend it... You'd have to reinstall Vista.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    You can do this in VMWare Fusion, probably in Parallels too. In VMWare you choose an OS X folder in the VMWare preferences then map it as a network drive in Windows.

With NTFS you cannot write to the Windows partition from the OS X side, but with VMWare there isn't any reason to, just access the OS X side from inside Windows as necessary. The latest 1.1 beta has fixed a couple issues from the 1.0 release that bugged me, worth the $79.99 retail but you can get it for ~$45 on Amazon.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax View Post

Not really. Your options are:

1. Get a program that allows Windows to read and write to the OSX partition.

And that program is TransMac. You can read about it here http://www.asy.com/scrtm.htm
  • Reply 4 of 6
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

And that program is TransMac. You can read about it here http://www.asy.com/scrtm.htm

Yikes! You can buy that ($64) to run on a Bootcamp Windows only boot for more than you can get a VMWare install and do the same thing in the background of OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

You can do this in VMWare Fusion, probably in Parallels too. In VMWare you choose an OS X folder in the VMWare preferences then map it as a network drive in Windows.

With NTFS you cannot write to the Windows partition from the OS X side, but with VMWare there isn't any reason to, just access the OS X side from inside Windows as necessary. The latest 1.1 beta has fixed a couple issues from the 1.0 release that bugged me, worth the $79.99 retail but you can get it for ~$45 on Amazon.

Only problem I have had with VMware is that sometimes I need to boot to windows via Boot Camp and other times I will boot using Fusion (for performance reasons). Everytime I boot using Boot Camps it creates a new virtual machine on VMware and I have to set everything up again.

If anyone has a fix to this, that would be great! But even people at VMware say this is an issue.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrojanShawn View Post

Only problem I have had with VMware is that sometimes I need to boot to windows via Boot Camp and other times I will boot using Fusion (for performance reasons). Everytime I boot using Boot Camps it creates a new virtual machine on VMware and I have to set everything up again.

If anyone has a fix to this, that would be great! But even people at VMware say this is an issue.

I recently contacted VMware about this issue, and this is what they said. It worked for me (in Win XP Pro):

For your reported problem, if you are using Windows XP OS, then I recommend creating new hardware profile in Windows XP as instructed below:

>

> 1) Boot into native Windows XP Boot Camp mode

>

> 2) Right Click "My Computer" and select "Properties"

>

> 3) Go to "Hardware" Tab, select "Hardware profiles"

>

> 4) Create a new profile using "Copy" button. Rename profiles as required. (For e.g. Hardware profile for Boot Camp, Hardware profile for Fusion)

>

> 5) Reboot and select first Hardware profile (i.e. Hardware profile for Boot Camp)

>

> 6) If it prompts for Windows Activation then please Activate Windows OS.

>

> 7) Boot into Mac and Launch Windows XP VM using Fusion

>

> 8) Select the second Hardware profile (i.e. Hardware profile for Fusion)

>

> 9) If it prompts for Windows Activation then please Activate Windows OS.

>

> 10) Select the respective hardware profiles when using Windows XP for Boot Camp or Fusion.