Virtual PC 6.0

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
¿Wouldn't it be cool if the next virtual pc can run applications in the regular mac os backround like a regular osx application?

I mean just add the appropriate extensions or make the backround invisible?

Comments? Impossible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    NO. I know why it seems that this would be a good idea, but this debate has been rehashed...it used to be the "red box" debate. Why develop for the Mac if you could do this? You see the dilemma, developers would get lazy? Plus you need to differentiate between classic, x, and win apps.

I just installed VPC 6 and I believe PC apps show up in the Dock, that's cool, I'll relate more experiences later.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Hey Aquatic just out of curiosity, let me know how VPC 6 feels(quick, snappy, slow, usable, etc.) on the 12" PB after you've used a couple apps on it.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Set up went in real time, it feels faster than my Compaq 400mhz P II with 98 and 128 RAM. I gave it 384 RAM but I may up that if I need to sometime. My dad lost the serial so I used the one in Surfer's Serials! I hope that doesn't lead to trouble down the road... I mean it's a real win2000 CD but he threw the box away and it was preinstalled on our other whitebox P 4 computer from the local computer store. Installing Windows sucks.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Finally installed Win2000. Very speedy. Changed resolution to 1024 but 768 and it's great, I can't tell it's an emulated PC, the interface is realtime. I haven't used any apps yet (I won't have a point until I get back to U. RI broadband really) but I have a problem!

The Dock and Shared Folders items are not "enabled" in the VPC Prefs for the Win2000 system. Huh? I searched Help and couldn't find anything about "enabling" them... I definitely can't use VPC unless I can have shared folders and that Dock integration.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    haha why doyou say real time?

you you expect it to be 2x faster or something...is it a CD?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    After a while VPC just asked me if I wanted to install Additions so now I have shared folders, yay. Realtime: I mean when I click the start button it opens immediately instead of like in XP where it takes a minute. IE opens in a few seconds too. Next task: seeing if I can play Windows Media!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Yeah, shared folders is kinda odd in VPC. You really need to run it in "windowed" mode after first installing Windows. At the bottom of the screen will be a puzzle-piece icon. You can do the Additions installation from there, which will enable support for shared folders and other things.