iPhone home button stopped working.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Just wanted to share this experience with you. My iPhone that I bought on opening day happened to have the home button stop working 4 days ago. I got nervous for my 600$ investment and how it would be handled due to not having Apple care on it. No home button means the phone is worthless. Anyways went to an apple store that was packed to the walls. They set me up with a genius bar appointment when I got there and told them my issue. 15 minutes later I talked to a genius and he didn't even turn it on or question me about it. No questions asked he ran the serial number on the phone read a bit on the screen and 5 minutes later said ok we're going to have to give you a new phone. What a pleasure of an experience. That's why you pay a little extra for Apple stuff. For the U.S. tech support on the phones so they actually understand what your saying and respond appropriately and for the classy support in stores. I have had bad experiences at the stores but when I did I always ask for a manager and get taken care of right away. Thanks for making my 600$ investment feel worthwhile Apple. I was sweating bullets at first and know of quite a few places that would have pulled some normal wear and tear crap. Cheers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Notorious View Post

Just wanted to share this experience with you. My iPhone that I bought on opening day happened to have the home button stop working 4 days ago. I got nervous for my 600$ investment and how it would be handled due to not having Apple care on it. No home button means the phone is worthless. Anyways went to an apple store that was packed to the walls. They set me up with a genius bar appointment when I got there and told them my issue. 15 minutes later I talked to a genius and he didn't even turn it on or question me about it. No questions asked he ran the serial number on the phone read a bit on the screen and 5 minutes later said ok we're going to have to give you a new phone. What a pleasure of an experience. That's why you pay a little extra for Apple stuff. For the U.S. tech support on the phones so they actually understand what your saying and respond appropriately and for the classy support in stores. I have had bad experiences at the stores but when I did I always ask for a manager and get taken care of right away. Thanks for making my 600$ investment feel worthwhile Apple. I was sweating bullets at first and know of quite a few places that would have pulled some normal wear and tear crap. Cheers.

I also had a weird problem with my iPhone when in phone mode and using the keypad the numbers 7, 8, 9, did not work but when I changed to the contacts that area of the touch screen was functional, So it was not a hardware problem with the touch screen. So I tried to reboot with the sleep button and home button. No effect, then I forced a recovery with itunes and still no help.

So I called applecare and they made a appointment with the genius bar at the local apple store and they looked at it and promptly replaced the phone.

I also brought my G4 laptop and restored the new iPhone and it was like I never had the problem.

Not related to iPhone but a testament to the level of customer service that apple brings tot he table everyday.

I bought a old 12" iBook 500mhz G3 off of ebay and a month later it started having problems

with the display, I called 1-800-SOS-APPL and told them what was going on and they asked for the serial number and I was put on hold for a minute or two and the attendant came back and asked for my shipping address that he was sending a box and a return air bill for my iBook and to put my iBook in it and send it back that it is covered under a repair extension program.

I got it back in 48 hrs with a brand new logicboard.

Now hows that for customer service.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I had a similar experience. My phone wouldn't rotate pics, websites, nor show coverflow in iPod mode. Went through the motions of a s/w reset to no avail (with Apple support). Apple support set me up with a new phone.

An interesting note: My phone is a 4GB phone. I was thinking "here's my chance to get an 8GB for free!" - ah, no. They have 4GB phones, brand new, in stock, at every store. Bummer.

But, I do have a new phone. My understanding is they take the broken ones and dissect them to see what happened. Hopefully they'll determine what causes this.