Video card problem with old powermac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an old powermac g4 that I am upgrading and everything was going fine until I got to the video card. I got a radeon 9700 from ebay, but when I swap the old card out and put in the 9700 I get no signal to the monitor, does that mean the card is dead, or is it just a driver problem?

I'm a PC veteran but I'm a total Mac newbie, on the PC you'd at least get a signal to the monitor and boot into the OS, but I have no idea how it's supposed to work in OSX. I tried to install the ATI drivers before swapping cards but being a newbie, I have no idea if I did it right.

So what is the proper way to swap video cards in a mac running OSX?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adam1203 View Post

So what is the proper way to swap video cards in a mac running OSX?

Well, I've not done what you have, but I'd get the install disks and try to boot from them to see if the system will display using the boot disk.

If it doesn't display that way, you probably won't be able to use that video card. If it does, then install that system.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

Well, I've not done what you have, but I'd get the install disks and try to boot from them to see if the system will display using the boot disk.

If it doesn't display that way, you probably won't be able to use that video card. If it does, then install that system.

Are you talking about discs that came with the card? It didn't actually come with any, I got it off of ebay and it didn't come with anything.