iPod touch Games

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Considering the iPod touch's (and iPhone's) multitouch functions and Apple's new cozy relationship with EA, is anyone else surprised that more robust games (or any games, for that matter) haven't been developed? Do you think that developers will be given the chance to turn the iPhone/iTouch into proper portable gaming devices?

At the very least I'd expect something in the vein of Lumines (PSP) or Elite Beat Agents (DS), that is to say music-based games that use the touchscreen for something more than Bejeweled and Sudoku (no offense to those games... but come on). Now the iPhone/iTouch aren't exactly PSPs or DSs, but they have enough muscle for more complex games.

What games (or types of games) would everyone like to see on Apple's platforms?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kinowolf View Post

Considering the iPod touch's (and iPhone's) multitouch functions and Apple's new cozy relationship with EA, is anyone else surprised that more robust games (or any games, for that matter) haven't been developed? Do you think that developers will be given the chance to turn the iPhone/iTouch into proper portable gaming devices?

You must have a crystal ball.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kinowolf View Post

What games (or types of games) would everyone like to see on Apple's platforms?

Solitaire

Just Kidding!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You must have a crystal ball.

Mysterious response, care to elaborate?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

the rumor has it things are already progressing along with EA porting games to the iPod touch and iPhone

Looks like I might have had a crystal ball after all?

From: http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/08/a...e-app-support/
  • Reply 5 of 9
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    For one thing the iPod Touch/iPhone OS is not really fully baked yet. Apple is making changes in it and I doubt its at a level ready for an SDK to even close iPod developers yet. Second, it can take quite some time for a game to be developed and tested for the platform. I am guessing they will come, but only in time.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Games for the iPod touch are 100% certain. I'd bet my life on it.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I agree it might take a while, but they're certainly in the pipeline (or at least should be).

The iPhone/iPod touch's aren't powerhouses, but they're the first platform with just enough juice and an innovative enough interface to really become a fun portable gaming platform. Multitouch is just begging for a Wario Ware style minigame anthology. If iPod wants to really pull ahead of competitors with the touch, good games (and a 32GB drive) would leave competitors (even further) in the dust.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I bought my iPod Touch for travelling. I am in Europe so Wi-fi access is very limited already, so I expect to be able to download games like Sudoku and Mah-Jong that are already available for older iPods. People with the iPhone are suggesting that they will be Web-based, so where does that leave iTouch users without a permanent link?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I would be really disappointed if all the iPhone and iPod touch had were web app Bejeweled and all that nonsenese. That would be a complete waste of the multitouch screens, not to mention not very profitable (EA and Apple could make good money on dowloadable games).