push email

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Would it be very difficult to have someone set up push email for the iPhone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

Would it be very difficult to have someone set up push email for the iPhone?

I'm thinking it would require a constant "listener" process on the phone. In addition to using up resources, it would allow the potential for malicious code to wreak havoc, since sending malformed packets of information to listeners is how a considerable number of exploits are achieved.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Then you think that it would be difficult for the IPhone to compete with Blackberry with their push email
  • Reply 3 of 5
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

Then you think that it would be difficult for the IPhone to compete with Blackberry with their push email

I don't see how you can derive that I think it difficult from what I posted... An e-mail listener in UNIX has existed for possibly as long as you've been alive. It's a mature technology. As the platform exists today, there is a listener in the iPhone, obviously, since it listens for incoming calls. More than that ... well, who knows what will happen?

That said, there are trade-offs - security, interoperability within the present platform framework, and demands that would need to be met in the form of resources for the system and resources from the developer of the platform. There's no such thing as a free lunch. At this time, those trade-offs have prevented "push" from being implemented.

The only thing that can be derived from that is - push isn't here now. It may not be here later.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    The big problem with push email is that you need to have a connection between the device and the network all the time, and if you only have the data connection available that is a rather power-hungry connection. The blackberry system uses a second connection, one similar to the pager system, to let the device know when it should open the more power-hungry data connection. This requires a lot of infrastructure, and is probably a very patent-encumbered area.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    That is an excellent explanation---so the only thing that Blackberry really has as an advantage over the iPhone is push---their web browser is not as good, it's screen is not as elegant, nor is it's OS--

I'm not convinced they are going to be successful in getting the consumer away from the IPhone--

The consumer wants the music, the video the elegance--the panache--and I don't think the Blackberry has it--all it has is push, and I think the consumer wants more than that.