Upgrade from Panther

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Im kinda new with Macs, My GF recently bought CS 3, and apperntly it wont run on panther, she as a G4 power book, 1.5GHz, 1 Gig ram. In order to run CS 3 i'd either neeed to get Tiger, or Leopord. Any Suggestions on which one? She is a graphic design major. Also will installing a new OS wipe all the old programs and data from her computer? And how hard is it do do on a Mac? Thanx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Definitely go with Leopard. "The future is now," as they say. For installation tips, check Apple's website, as they walk you through the three different ways to install a new OS. For the record, most recommend just a simple "Update" in which all programs and data are left in place and only the system files that need to be changed are changed. I have always done this and have never had a problem (although backing up crucial information is always recommended).

Mac OS upgrades are a piece of cake, by the way. If you haven't converted to a Mac yet, just watching the install process will do the trick. Once I even upgraded the Mac OS to Tiger on a laptop whose battery died during install and I was amazed that when I got to a power cord and began installation again, everything took off flawlessly with no system damage whatsoever.