Apple updates MacBook Pro battery firmware, QT for Windows

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday afternoon release two small software updates, one a security update targeting the Windows version of its QuickTime media software, and another to address battery performance issues on its 15-inch MacBook Pro notebooks.

Security Update for QuickTime 7.2 for Windows

Apple said an issue exists within the current version of QuickTime for Windows where viewing maliciously crafted QTL content may lead to arbitrary code execution.

"A command injection issue exists in QuickTime's handling of URLs in the qtnext field in files with QTL content," the company explained. "By enticing a user to open a specially crafted file, an attacker may cause an application to be launched with controlled command line arguments, which may lead to arbitrary code execution."

A 7MB Security Update addresses the issue by improving the handling of URLs.

Battery Update 1.3

Meanwhile, Apple also released Battery Update 1.3 [480K], which updates battery firmware and addresses battery performance issues with the 15-inch MacBook Pro.

"Your computer's power cord must be connected and plugged into a working power source while running this update," the company reminds users of the software. "After the Battery Update has been installed, any additional batteries you put in your 15-inch MacBook Pro are automatically updated."

The battery update is compatible with the MacBook Pro (15-inch), MacBook Pro (15-inch Glossy), MacBook Pro (15-inch Core 2 Duo) and MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2GHz).

Additional details on Battery Update 1.3 are available in this Apple knowledge base article.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    I gotta say, just the other day my battery went from 30% to shutdown, without any sleep, recently calibrated. Apple already tried to address this issue in the past, which they did, though apparently not successfully.

The funny thing is, I wondered if how many months of waiting for an update for this minor issue, and here it is a few days later.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:

"Your computer's power cord must be connected and plugged into a working power source while running this update," the company reminds users of the software.

How can they be reminding users - they've never told them before... Surely you mean "informed" or similar
  • Reply 3 of 5
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Crap, I ran software update and downloaded the battery firmware update without the power cord connected. It seemed to go fine. Should I plug in the power cord and run software update again?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Crap, I ran software update and downloaded the battery firmware update without the power cord connected. It seemed to go fine. Should I plug in the power cord and run software update again?

No. Don't worry about it. They just say that so that you don't run out of power in the middle of the firmware update.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

No. Don't worry about it. They just say that so that you don't run out of power in the middle of the firmware update.

Ever since this update, I've been having issues where the computer shuts down suddenly at 30% charge. I called Apple, and they have agreed to send me a new battery...

The funny thing is, the current battery is the one I got when they did that huge battery recall last year. I'm glad they're trying to make things right, but man they need better QC for some of their components.