Graphics card upgrade question..

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
From what I've seen the new Mac Pros will be out in less than a few months and I was wondering what the chances are that I will be upgrade my current Mac Pro's (8-core, 4GB ram) graphics card. Currently I have an x1900 XT, I understand this might be an issue of pure speculation but maybe someone will have some valuable input. I would really like to upgrade it to a more current one (8800 GTX would be nice ).

Are the new cards likely to be too big or not formatted properly?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    for one thing they need EFI roms as well the as the pci id's in the drivers.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

From what I've seen the new Mac Pros will be out in less than a few months and I was wondering what the chances are that I will be upgrade my current Mac Pro's (8-core, 4GB ram) graphics card. Currently I have an x1900 XT, I understand this might be an issue of pure speculation but maybe someone will have some valuable input. I would really like to upgrade it to a more current one (8800 GTX would be nice ).

Are the new cards likely to be too big or not formatted properly?

I'm pretty sure if you feel you'll need an upgrade Apple will sell some of the new cards standalone from their site after initial sales start to fall off. ATI probably will too. Remember they'll need to be EFI based cards so everyday PC cards will not run in your machine unless your planning on running windows only in it.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I'm pretty sure if you feel you'll need an upgrade Apple will sell some of the new cards standalone from their site after initial sales start to fall off. ATI probably will too. Remember they'll need to be EFI based cards so everyday PC cards will not run in your machine unless your planning on running windows only in it.

ok, that sounds promising, worst case scenario I could probably get one on ebay.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

ok, that sounds promising, worst case scenario I could probably get one on ebay.

AFAIK Apple is the only one selling EFI cards. I don't know why there would be one on ebay.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

AFAIK Apple is the only one selling EFI cards. I don't know why there would be one on ebay.

because people might sell their mac pro card? i've seen x1900s on ebay.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

because people might sell their mac pro card? i've seen x1900s on ebay.

Ahh ok. I guess you have to make sure they came out of a Mac, and not just some guy trying to sell an x1900. I think ATI is selling it (Mac version) too.