How do I connect a PS2 to my 30" Mac HD Screen?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi!

Looking for a bit of help or advice on what I may need to by to connect my PS2 (And then PS3 when I buy it) to my Mac screen.

I have a Mac Pro with the 30" Cinema HD screen and though it would be nice to use the PS2 on the Mac screen as the wife will then have free reign over the TV.

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Well, this is a real helpfull place...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Pro Tip: Try to wait more than one day before moaning that nobody is helping

As for connecting as PS2 to a Cinema Display: you could use a PS2 video cable with a DVI converter. Alternatively, you can use a VGA converter like this one, but that would also require a VGA>DVI converter.

http://www.nextag.com/dvi-to-vga-adapter/search-html
  • Reply 3 of 3
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I tried one cheap composite-VGA converter with a PS2 and the results were horrible.

At the very least, a good converter would need to take its input as component.

As for the PS3, the simple option of taking the HDMI output and using an adapter to take out the DVI signal doesn't work. The PS3 uses HDCP "protection" at all times when you have it hooked up with HDMI, even while playing games and while not booted into Sony's GameOS. Your display doesn't support HDCP.

A component -> DVI converter could do the trick. It'll be horribly expensive if it's one that can handle the PS3's 1080p resolution. You'd need to research the options carefully and make sure you get one with good picture quality. Then of course once Blu-Ray movies start using the new HDCP features, the PS3 could drop the resolution of your component output to DVD quality during movie playback, so having a BR disc is no use.

Thank the movie companies and Sony. It's impressive, really, how thoroughly they screw us.